One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

Post by HappyDaze »

A big reason I am usually uber-frugal/cheap has really hit home the last couple days. With me being sick and my mom being in the hospital - it has been good to be able to spend some extra money without batting an eye.

We got dinner for my dad and sister tonight plus takeout for us - killed a 50 dollar bill. Normally, that would send me into cheapskate convulsions - not today, don't care.

While I was at Walgreens today picking up my prescription, I bought canned cat and dog food - SO EXPENSIVE there - but I had NO energy to go to any other store. Didn't have to think twice about it - because - frugal all the time.

My heart goes out to folks who don't have the luxury of spending some extra money to make life a little easier when stuff like this is going on. I have been there, it stinks.

I guess it's called "saving for a rainy day" - or whatever term you would use for it.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Re: One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

Post by clemencia2us »

Yes - same here!!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:19 pm A big reason I am usually uber-frugal/cheap has really hit home the last couple days. With me being sick and my mom being in the hospital - it has been good to be able to spend some extra money without batting an eye.

We got dinner for my dad and sister tonight plus takeout for us - killed a 50 dollar bill. Normally, that would send me into cheapskate convulsions - not today, don't care.

While I was at Walgreens today picking up my prescription, I bought canned cat and dog food - SO EXPENSIVE there - but I had NO energy to go to any other store. Didn't have to think twice about it - because - frugal all the time.

My heart goes out to folks who don't have the luxury of spending some extra money to make life a little easier when stuff like this is going on. I have been there, it stinks.

I guess it's called "saving for a rainy day" - or whatever term you would use for it.
Absolutely! You are smart to know when it is time to loosen the purse strings to make life easier. I attended a caregiving workshop some years ago and something said has stuck with me. “We save for a rainy day and at some point it is time to say, ‘It’s raining.” (time to spend)”

I whined about the cost of grocery delivery when I was sick but glad that I didn’t have to worry about the cost and also had the money for a large co-pay for my at-home antibiotics.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

This week we had $1400 worth of yard work done, front and back, wrote a check, no problem.

Sometimes you just have to let it go. so to speak.

Your time is worth something, especify when you are sick and have so much stress.

Thank you for taking care of yourself

IC
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Amen. Love this thread. We frugalize on the things that are not so important so that we can splurge on the important things.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:49 pm Absolutely! You are smart to know when it is time to loosen the purse strings to make life easier. I attended a caregiving workshop some years ago and something said has stuck with me. “We save for a rainy day and at some point it is time to say, ‘It’s raining.” (time to spend)”

I whined about the cost of grocery delivery when I was sick but glad that I didn’t have to worry about the cost and also had the money for a large co-pay for my at-home antibiotics.
It sure has been raining here, Floridacat. :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz