One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

I was thinking about what I have done lately that I can say is frugal.

Well, literally, for about one and a half weeks, I ate mashed potatoes for supper every night. I had bought a commercial size of gravy mix at the Food Rescue Store and was able to make it a meal. I LOVE mashed potatoes and gravy. I didn't feel deprived at all and my birthday diamond ring was paid off in less than two months. I also paid the fee for the interest on my friend's credit card which she used to pay for the ring. It makes me feel like a responsible adult and she can also depend on me to pay back anything I owe her.

As of now? I have a $210 loan for this new computer. I LIVE on my computer. I talk to friends all day, read the news from all over the world and do my banking online. I get my check about 3 days before the end of the month and the first thing I do is pay all of my bills (cable/WiFi/phone, Hydro, Student loan and any money I owe someone. Then, I wait until the rent is taken out and determine what I have for the month.

The end of November and the start of this month have me getting cheap "used" presents off of Facebook Marketplace, that's me being frugal. As I make these purchases, I think of if they are being delivered or I must pick them up. I usually still save money on my presents even if I have to pick them up and take "the hit" on the gas tank of Zoe's van.

After running that "feral woman" around town for three days and seeing the red light come on for fuel warning light each time, I now calculate in how much gas going anywhere in town takes. It REALLY makes me combine trips and avoid going out for "stuff." It does take gas to get Jay and I to the Soup Kitchen for lunch but she now pays the parking and I figure for the $1.00 in gas, I get a very good lunch so it works out well. GAS is the biggest part of my frugal savings currently. I think it might be for others too.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:13 pm I was thinking about what I have done lately that I can say is frugal.

Well, literally, for about one and a half weeks, I ate mashed potatoes for supper every night. I had bought a commercial size of gravy mix at the Food Rescue Store and was able to make it a meal. I LOVE mashed potatoes and gravy. I didn't feel deprived at all and my birthday diamond ring was paid off in less than two months. I also paid the fee for the interest on my friend's credit card which she used to pay for the ring. It makes me feel like a responsible adult and she can also depend on me to pay back anything I owe her.

As of now? I have a $210 loan for this new computer. I LIVE on my computer. I talk to friends all day, read the news from all over the world and do my banking online. I get my check about 3 days before the end of the month and the first thing I do is pay all of my bills (cable/WiFi/phone, Hydro, Student loan and any money I owe someone. Then, I wait until the rent is taken out and determine what I have for the month.

The end of November and the start of this month have me getting cheap "used" presents off of Facebook Marketplace, that's me being frugal. As I make these purchases, I think of if they are being delivered or I must pick them up. I usually still save money on my presents even if I have to pick them up and take "the hit" on the gas tank of Zoe's van.

After running that "feral woman" around town for three days and seeing the red light come on for fuel warning light each time, I now calculate in how much gas going anywhere in town takes. It REALLY makes me combine trips and avoid going out for "stuff." It does take gas to get Jay and I to the Soup Kitchen for lunch but she now pays the parking and I figure for the $1.00 in gas, I get a very good lunch so it works out well. GAS is the biggest part of my frugal savings currently. I think it might be for others too.

MJ
I think that it’s really nice that even on your tight budget you buy gifts for your friends, kids, “doggos,” and others important in your life. Very kind.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:00 pm I think that it’s really nice that even on your tight budget you buy gifts for your friends, kids, “doggos,” and others important in your life. Very kind.
One of the ways I am able to give folks Christmas presents is because I start shopping in June or July. It stretches out the purchases and doesn't all come as a shock in the months of November and December. Fortunately, I live alone so no one is going to give away what the presents are unless it is me!

Thanks for your kind words Florida!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

The one thing I do every month since I only get Social Security.

I subtract from that amount the rent, renters insurance, ink, and the local news paper, electric, internet and TV.

Those have to be paid every month.

I also subtract the amount I usually spend at H-E-B. If I expect a co-pay this month I also subtract that.

I also know that if I have a big unexpected expense my son will help.

This lets me know what I can spend if any for fun. But bills come first.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:15 pm The one thing I do every month since I only get Social Security.

I subtract from that amount the rent, renters insurance, ink, and the local news paper, electric, internet and TV.

I also subtract the amount I usually spend at H-E-B. If I expect a co-pay this month I also subtract that.

Penny
yes bills come first!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:15 pm The one thing I do every month since I only get Social Security.

Penny
Very smart!