Daily Check In December 3, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 3, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Restless night, definitely need a coffee. Back in a moment or three.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 3, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It's a chilly morning here on the Canadian Prairies and as far as I can tell, temperatures will not be moving back up for a while. When winter hits here, it hits with a bang.

My household task list is relatively short today. I need to send in my scan and sweep the floors. The other thing I do every Saturday afternoon is phone my brother. This should enable me to get some project work done. I will be finishing off the draught dodgers this morning, washing the backing to the quilt, adding the borders to the quilt, giving both the backing and the quilt itself an ironing, cutting the strips for the rug and finishing (hopefully) decorating the tree. It seems like a daunting list of project steps, but little bites of the elephant that is making gifts is working.

Next up on the small bites of the elephant will be baking and candy making. I will more than likely start with the easy items first and work towards those that take longer. I still need to buy peanuts for the brittle so that will probably not be done until the week of the 12th.

Once again, no cash will be leaving our pockets. I have no where I need to be so the car will be staying put. No fuel usage which means I have another couple of days where I don't need to buy gas (gives the cost per liter a bit more time to fall even further). I am using what I have on hand to make meals and leftovers are being saved for another meal, frozen for a meal later, or turned into something different to tickle our tastebuds. I am hopeful that the sun comes out today so that the solar heat keeps the front half of the house warm, and the furnace does not cut in very much. With the companies that supply our electricity and natural gas raising their prices any little savings helps the bills.

I will need to go shopping at some point next week due to the DS's coming home for Christmas. I want to be fully stocked so I do not run out of things, and not have to enter the store on the 23rd or early on the 24th. Things will just be too crowded at that point. It is already getting pretty bad.

Supper tonight will be a sausage casserole along with leftover salad. I have some leftover rice that I am thinking could make us a lovely rice pudding for dessert (I do have a handful or so of raisins, need to purchase some of them as well). I will probably cook everything in the toaster oven and then if Hubby wants to warm up his rice pudding he can do so in the microwave.

Today I am grateful that small bites of the elephant seem to be working (at least until I start to panic).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, Jackie and everyone. I feel like we need to whisper this morning. :-) I've had my medications and am drinking a cup of coffee, reheated from yesterday.

I am so grateful for a decent night's sleep. Was up at 4-ish and went back to sleep till 7-ish. It is dark and rainy this morning, making it feel much earlier than it actually is.

Money will be spent today - I have quite a list of needed items but it's all budgeted for. And - Christmas gifts for my dogs are not needed - but they sure do love to get presents - so those made the list.

Our utility company sent a letter about the pending cost increases and how they can't give us information on "how much" - and sent some tips for keeping the bills lower. I'm going to make a copy of it for DD and her SO. They always pay what I tell them they owe, that's not my issue, but I feel they could make more effort to keep the bills lower.

I need to get some breakfast and get in the shower. My shopping is all right here in town - within a half mile of the house but I imagine it will be tiring.

Jackie, you know there is just one way to eat that elephant - you are doing great!!

Everyone have a blessed day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I slept OK but not wonderful. It is another beautiful day here, mid-70s. This is our time of year.

I plan to go to Dollar General to see if I can get their deal on Lowe’s gift cards. Buy 2 and get $5 off immediately. It excludes $10 cards. So I assume it will be two $25 cards. Still a 10% savings. There was a better deal on Cyber Monday but I didn’t see it until it was over. It would not surprise me if DG is out of these cards but I’ll try. The other similar gift card deals are on restaurant cards. One is Panera and I thought of Quilter.

Update: It turns out the ad I looked at does not start until tomorrow. I realized it when I was there. I rarely go to DG because getting in and out of the parking lot is bad and today was no different. But I’ll go there later this week.

Yesterday I cleaned up around my entryway now that the sidewalk is finished. They made a real mess. I got rid of most of my old mulch which was splattered with white and swept a lot of leaves in my carport. Today I’ll get rid of a pot that looks a mess and move some pots around. I think I’ve made it look OK until I get new mulch.

I might post more about my 2023 budget when I have it finalized. I’m keeping most categories the same but unlike with Jackie’s 2023 challenge I’m increasing the amount I spend on clothes and doubling my budget for “household.” My thought on household is that I’ll want to have the interior painted and have new flooring before I sell. I’m keeping entertainment the same, $100/month, because that’s important to me. Entertainment includes streaming and newspapers online as well as eating out with friends, puzzles (if any), my genealogy club membership and even fast food if I stop at Wendy’s which is usually not often but happened three times this month! One “big” entertainment item I’m seriously considering cutting out is Amazon Prime. Unlike in many, many areas, I have not seen a noticeable increase in energy costs. A/C is by far the biggest energy cost because the cost for heat is negligible. I’m “lucky” so I’m keeping my energy budget at $75/month.

Have a good day and hope everyone feels better.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Slept better last night so I'm feeling refreshed despite having woke a few times.

It's a rainy day here today so I plan on leaving my Christmas tree lit all day. It's SO pretty to look at. I'm a multi-color light person, white lights just don't do it for me.

I'm going to call today one of my whatever kind of days as I have no clue as to what I want to do right now.

I have only a frozen entree on my menu for this evening, noting fancy.

Well that's it for now. Have a great day.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Good morning!
It is raining here too. As much as I like winter..I am glad it is rain and not snow yet. I still have a lot to do.
I am almost finished decorating..just a few more things.
I haven't done a single card yet. I need to check and see if I have everything I need for baking.
Have a good day everyone!