is it me, or is this creepy?(death and cremation)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: is it me, or is this creepy?(death and cremation)

Post by Jackielou »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:20 am I once did some research on cremation. The Catholic Church is OK with it now BUT, the remains must be complete and undivided. They also can't be kept at home by anyone. They must be immediately placed in a sacred place after the funeral.
The Catholic Church has always been okay with cremation. However, in saying that years ago the body of the deceased needed to be "whole" in order for the funeral to take place. After the funeral the family could have the body cremated and then buried later. Now that is no longer the case.

I know of several good Catholic people who had some of the ashes of their loved one put in necklaces and given to each of the family. Then the urn has been buried.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:20 am I once did some research on cremation. The Catholic Church is OK with it now BUT, the remains must be complete and undivided. They also can't be kept at home by anyone. They must be immediately placed in a sacred place after the funeral.
Yup. Had a discussion with my parents several years ago. Dad would like to be cremated, Mom said no way, she has a reoccurring nightmare of dying in a fire. We discussed burying Dad's ashes with Mom's but then wondered where we could keep them until Mom passed. LOL! They must have worked it out. They have since purchased cemetery plots and planned funerals.

I did not put it in my Will, but I told they boys they can have me cremated and then inter me in a wall at the cemetery.

My former FIL wants to be cremated and interred in his Mother's grave. He took care of her when she had Alzheimer's.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

My cousin, Dan, and I have discussed what to do after we die. We are the ONLY ones in our extended families (cousins on BOTH sides maternal and paternal) who are without kids or anyone to take "care" of us when we die. We both decided we'd like to be cremated and put in the wall in the Hoyt Lakes, MN cemetery. I know it isn't the "hometown" I grew-up in (that would be my hometown of Luverne, MN which was my Dad's hometown and where he is buried). Originally, I wanted to be buried in Luverne but I realize that for as many lovely memories I have of school and so many other things, the whole experience, even my father's funeral, was tainted with horrible memories by my abusive mother. Dan even remarked on that when we were discussing things.

Hoyt Lakes, Minnesota is in northern Minnesota not far from Duluth. It is where all my beloved cousins live and where Aunt Dolores and Uncle James are buried. They literally took me in as family after Dad died as they knew how bad things were with Nori. I want to be near and remembered with people I KNEW loved me. I know my Dad did but he would also understand why I want to be in Hoyt Lakes instead of Luverne.

My best friend in town was to bury her father's ashes with his mother. She found out just to do that the cemetery wanted $750. Thinking of her father and his frugality (which she said he was "Cheap!") They just planted flowers in put his ashes in with the flowers. She said he would have loved the "sneaky" way he got to be with his mother. She bought a special plaque that was added on to his mother's headstone. She also took about a teaspoon of his ashes and had it made into a glass bead that goes on her Pandora Necklace.
Hope has a good imagination.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

ohjodi wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:34 am My sister's ex-husband is in her garage.
LOL, my step sisters ex-husband's ashes are also in her garage :lol:

She is planning to scatter them, their son isn't interested in coming with her.

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:59 am Bless your sister! If my ex-husband is in my garage, he better be cleaning it.

LOL :lol:
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:59 am Bless your sister! If my ex-husband is in my garage, he better be cleaning it.
OMG - that was too funny!