Food Expiration Dates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Food Expiration Dates

Post by floridacatlover »

Here’s an interesting story from the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/article/expiration-dates.html

I haven’t read the comments yet and they are often the best part.

I’ve been using a can of cranberry sauce, kept in the refrigerator in a plastic tub, since Thanksgiving. Either on the can or online it said use within a few days. My mom always said, “It’s all sugar. It will keep a long time in the refrigerator.” I’ve found that to be the case.

My soy milk carton says use within 7 days after opening. I always use it longer.
MackerelCat

Re: Food Expiration Dates

Post by MackerelCat »

I will admit to cooking a Hillshire Farms kielbasa sausage for my lunches a month after the sell by date and having no ill effects. It was delicious and I was pretty sure it was safe to eat because it had been continously stored in the very cold center of the fridge.

I will note that rice in a cardboard box takes on a stale taste shortly after best by date has past, and it does not when sealed in a plastic bag.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have reached my limit of free articles but what I saw of it looked interesting.

I am not a stickler for packaging dates. If I'm in doubt about something I consult my daughter who has extensive training and experience in food safety. If she say's "I'd eat it", I eat it. If she says "I wouldn't feed it to the dog", I throw it out.

I have been known to pick through "expired" salad greens, take out the good ones and use them in a soup or casserole.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:57 pm I have reached my limit of free articles but what I saw of it looked interesting.

I am not a stickler for packaging dates. If I'm in doubt about something I consult my daughter who has extensive training and experience in food safety. If she say's "I'd eat it", I eat it. If she says "I wouldn't feed it to the dog", I throw it out.

I have been known to pick through "expired" salad greens, take out the good ones and use them in a soup or casserole.
Here is a gift link to the article, I have a NYT subscription. I think several people can use it.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/expiration-dates.html?unlocked_article_code=cDx-3ovuoQXPLClK3h95GTgB7F8yWZdWfT8E1JTo1JxhR75rZZTQYA5PTGpL-ivAX96fuhdoIGBDlzmb25hTfgSLymgt58KHRDhiPx3VViFLEEiw_RZVyutp5v4qw-ay2hZAu-_S5CZr02NmMJEiKij5mqZdYXKFoc-LkJc3W2cAuai42ahNPMv2tpXYDPls_g8V3RAKssAkUWejHiGpU9jxZrL2PfpuuqLmFWM2lnmgfg_62KVoVMDWyuMl1fj3Eaefk1Kl3JkuP8-IkhCsP9SS7EEviRz4-HARYNVharNnrzOJTNOjf3jA5JqrZw&smid=share-url
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I err on the conservative side. I've had food poisoning (the real thing, not just an upset tummy) twice in my life nad have absolutely no intention of getting it again. so I use my good judgement on canned and packeged goods but am pretty rough on referigerated items. If it's best used or sell by dae I might give it a couple days. and in theory I think things loaded with sugar have a little bit longer life.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ohjodi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:44 pm Here is a gift link to the article, I have a NYT subscription. I think several people can use it.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/expiration-dates.html?unlocked_article_code=cDx-3ovuoQXPLClK3h95GTgB7F8yWZdWfT8E1JTo1JxhR75rZZTQYA5PTGpL-ivAX96fuhdoIGBDlzmb25hTfgSLymgt58KHRDhiPx3VViFLEEiw_RZVyutp5v4qw-ay2hZAu-_S5CZr02NmMJEiKij5mqZdYXKFoc-LkJc3W2cAuai42ahNPMv2tpXYDPls_g8V3RAKssAkUWejHiGpU9jxZrL2PfpuuqLmFWM2lnmgfg_62KVoVMDWyuMl1fj3Eaefk1Kl3JkuP8-IkhCsP9SS7EEviRz4-HARYNVharNnrzOJTNOjf3jA5JqrZw&smid=share-url
Thanks very much, I appreciate that, Jodi!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz