Daily Check In February 3, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In February 3, 2023

Post by mbrudnic »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:24 pm Tis a fractured nine patch. Sew 9 five inch squares together cut in the middle, cut in the middle (thank heavens for rotating cutting mats) and you have four seven inch blocks all different. I might decide to get a nother set so that I can just have sashing and not a full 7 inch yellow/gold block between each theyll be on point. I've done it with nine ten inch blocks (or any size) as well but you really need to clean off your cutting table there.
I have flying geese to trim. And I love the rotating cutting mats too.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hey everyone,

DS1 texted asking if I can come to his house Thursday mornings at 5:30 and get the little boys off to school. DDIL will be in Fl at a conference and he must have an assignment out of town. I am an early vird so I can do that. I will work from there as he does not know when he will arrive home.

It is Friday, so I did my laundry. I still have a chair full of towels to fold and put away. I have been crawling into bed early lately and thus sleeping pretty well. O don't have much else to report.

Have a great evening,
Maggie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 pm Found the article about Iowa and the 75,000 job openings.

It was in the NYTimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/02/opinion/immigration-states.html
Interesting story. We definitely need more workers. There was a piece just tonight on the PBS NewsHour about how many men (but not women) in their prime working years have dropped out of the workforce. No real answer about how they are surviving financially but they said some even in their 40s and 50s have moved home and are just waiting for their inheritance, some have gone on disability, some have wives with high-paying jobs (veterinarian was the example) and I imagine some are living off their savings or credit cards.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:02 pm Interesting story. We definitely need more workers. There was a piece just tonight on the PBS NewsHour about how many men (but not women) in their prime working years have dropped out of the workforce. No real answer about how they are surviving financially but they said some even in their 40s and 50s have moved home and are just waiting for their inheritance, some have gone on disability, some have wives with high-paying jobs (veterinarian was the example) and I imagine some are living off their savings or credit cards.
Interesting. Maybe working under the table also.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:08 pm Interesting. Maybe working under the table also.
Yes maybe so and thus not showing up on the employment statistics.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Days are getting longer.

We finally had a sunny day and I was able to keep the blinds open until after 6.

When does the time change?