Daily Check In February 5, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In February 5, 2023

Post by mbrudnic »

icfrugal2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 pm Super WOW!!! for your 6th-grade teacher.

I worked with a woman, who lived on a farm, and her dad (I'll have to ask her at what age) had each of the kids keep the farm books for a year, now that is a learning experience. Smart dad.

IC
Yes, the guy was extremely eccentric. He did not stick to the typical Social Studies Curriculum and eventually got fired for it when a new principal came in. But he taught us a lot of life skills, including how to take notes between 5th and 6th grade. He taught us Russian History, the Russian alphabet and proved we could learn difficult things. It made the other teachers expectations higher. There were 66 of us in the grade in a Catholic school.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

icfrugal2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:28 pm Isn't it so sad that people can't help people out because of liability, !!

not that DH and would, but that is one reason why we would never rent out a room in our home. It would be impossible to get them out.

I don't know how to word it, but it makes life so much harder when we can't help people.

IC
IC, I agree with you. Even with renting to my own child, I had to have a 7-page notarized lease agreement!! I would never dare rent to anyone else!

Yes, it is a shame we can't help out others. Even when I was a child, the world wasn't like this - my parents helped people, people helped them, things were traded and bartered and borrowed.

When did it become "too risky" to help out your neighbors?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Thankfully here in Florida neighbors still help neighbors. My neighbors help me and I try to help them. Mom’s neighbor cut my front yard for years until I hired the lawn guy. Just the other day I raked all the leaves out of one of his garden beds that adjoins mine. My neighbor came into my house to care for Pippi many times when I was away. The idea of worrying too much about liability is foreign to me.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:49 am IC, I agree with you. Even with renting to my own child, I had to have a 7-page notarized lease agreement!! I would never dare rent to anyone else!

Yes, it is a shame we can't help out others. Even when I was a child, the world wasn't like this - my parents helped people, people helped them, things were traded and bartered and borrowed.

When did it become "too risky" to help out your neighbors?
The short story, the 31-year-old son of my younger sister has lots of problems.

Mental problems, won't stay on meds, self-medicates, you understand.

At this point, my younger sister is happy when he's in jail. (don't judge unless you have been there...I know that you don't judge :)

My older sister and her husband have been trying to help for years, they just had him in their home for almost a week, but had to call 911, he's being 5150'ed right now.

He's been in all of the programs in his county over the years.

He's been 5150'ed many, many times. been in jail many times etc.

One of the police officers told my sister to be careful to make sure that he doesn't establish residency.

frightening!!!!

IC
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

icfrugal2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:06 pm The short story, the 31-year-old son of my younger sister has lots of problems.

Mental problems, won't stay on meds, self-medicates, you understand.

At this point, my younger sister is happy when he's in jail. (don't judge unless you have been there...I know that you don't judge :)

My older sister and her husband have been trying to help for years, they just had him in their home for almost a week, but had to call 911, he's being 5150'ed right now.

He's been in all of the programs in his county over the years.

He's been 5150'ed many, many times. been in jail many times etc.

One of the police officers told my sister to be careful to make sure that he doesn't establish residency.

frightening!!!!

IC
Your nephew and my nephew could be the same guy, save for a couple years difference in their ages. Mine is currently "hiding out" in someone's cellar - and I mean CELLAR, not a dry, clean basement - and my sister doesn't know from one minute to the next if he is alive. No judging here, I hope your sister will take as good of care of herself as she can.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:43 pm Your nephew and my nephew could be the same guy, save for a couple years difference in their ages. Mine is currently "hiding out" in someone's cellar - and I mean CELLAR, not a dry, clean basement - and my sister doesn't know from one minute to the next if he is alive. No judging here, I hope your sister will take as good of care of herself as she can.
sadly my younger sister is a mess, my older sister told me that she is in tears.

the latest update is that the nephew is still at the police sub station, he was offered a place in a board and care, he refused.

IC