Study: Consumers' frugality may drive down prices

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Study: Consumers' frugality may drive down prices

Post by clemencia2us »

Wonder if all that older produce goes to the foodbank

We are having a mega foodbank here today. So much food to give out. Lots of produce too. Most of it comes from HEB - the big grocery chain here in Texas.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Food City here still does it and has an "oops, we baked too much" discount rack for breads and sweets. Sometimes the produce on the 99 cents rack at FC is fine and sometimes it's quite bruised up.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:39 am Wonder if all that older produce goes to the foodbank

We are having a mega foodbank here today. So much food to give out. Lots of produce too. Most of it comes from HEB - the big grocery chain here in Texas.
In the case of Publix, I believe it does go to the food bank. They give away a lot of items. When mom was getting Meals on Wheels they used to bring a loaf of bread once a week and it was always from the Publix bakery.

I did a story on charities at my magazine (one of my favorite stories) and one I profiled was a food bank in Orlando and Publix was a big supplier along with many restaurants.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I imagine most of the big supermarket chains send produce and food that doesn't sell on markdown to the food banks. (Though I know of one store brand that popped up in salvage stores from time to time. Don't know if they're still going that route.)

I do wonder about the meat, especially steaks. Don't know if it goes to the food bank, or what.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

LWolfT wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:34 pm I imagine most of the big supermarket chains send produce and food that doesn't sell on markdown to the food banks. (Though I know of one store brand that popped up in salvage stores from time to time. Don't know if they're still going that route.)

I do wonder about the meat, especially steaks. Don't know if it goes to the food bank, or what.
We've given out ribeyes and chicken at the mega foodbanks.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:36 pm We've given out ribeyes and chicken at the mega foodbanks.
Wow! I wanna hit your foodbank. :-D
Patty