Daily Check-In March 24, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check-In March 24, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm Salut mes amis!!

It is just about 2 pm local time. President Biden just started speaking tok the Canadian Parliament. I'm glad to be able to see this, it is on CNN. But I think you all know I am a news junkie! LOL

I had the last of my spaghetti for lunch today. I almost forgot I had that sauce in the fridge! Time to get that place cleaned and sorted out. The back of it is mostly condiments and hot sauces! WHEW!! I have a small jar of Jamaican Jerk Hot Sauce in there and holy smoley! That stuff? Less than 1/4 teaspoon spread thinly over a tortilla makes for one spicy hot taco!!

I have to load the dishwasher with today's breakfast and lunch dishes and pots and pans. I had Sheila's granola for breakfast this morning. So good!

We are having a beautiful day! I went out and had worn a nice coat instead of my parka. I was ROASTING! It's only -3C out there and I love that! It is melting in the parking lot and maybe by the end of the week, it will be clear of ice and I can take in my living room lamp! There are still some scary parts out there and at my size? I am not risking a fall and a broken hip! I may have lots of "padding" but that isn't going to be enough going against Canadian ice!

They have gotten in a bunch of butternut squash at the Food Rescue Grocery Store. Anybody got any good ways to "peel" them so I can get out the insides to make a couple of batches of Indian Butternut Squash Soup? I HATE spaghetti squash because it is so hard a skin I can't handle it. I've don't even know HOW to begin to handle butternut squash. I figured you gals would know! We never ever had it while I was growing up. I do love acorn squash and like to have that when it is in season!

Not much else going on around here. I am going over to look after Lily Gurl for the week. She is such a good doggo! She is a Senior doggie now so she likes mostly to sleep in a sunbeam, get belly rubs and nose kisses and TREATOS! They've left food for me and some diet pop. Sounds good to me!

That's the skinny around here!

MJ
This website says you can roast the squash whole without cutting it, and the skin will just slip off:

https://mayihavethatrecipe.com/how-to-cook-butternut-squash/

If you don't have a large, sharp knife and a mallet to drive it through the sqash, whole roasting is probably the way to go.
Mackie
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:13 am Hello friends.

I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I plan to stay home today except to run to the insurance agent to drop off a form. The form is top certify that I have flood insurance, which I do. Our out-of-touch Florida Legislature made a law saying that anyone who has Citizens (the state-run insurance) must have flood insurance. Right now it only applies to people like me who live in the A flood zone but in a few years it will apply even in mom’s area. Flood insurance in mom’s area is cheap, at least so far. I can afford it (but clench my teeth) but for a lot of people adding the flood insurance requirement will be too much. I believe that more and more people will go without insurance. Even now my friend who worked two jobs to keep her home goes without homeowner’s insurance, very risky.

Water and sewer are included in my monthly HOA fee at my townhouse. Right now I only pay about $36/month for water and sewer at mom’s house. When I move there it will of course increase to I’m guessing about $100/month.

I got an email from Delta. They say the entire amount of my Paris ticket, including the leftover ticket amount of $700 from Copenhagen, will be credited to my cc. I’ll believe it when I see it but if so that is great. The best I was hoping for was that the $700 would again be an e-ticket that I’d have to use by the end of the year. I almost forgot about the travel insurance. I’ll call today and think I’ll get a refund of the whole $78.

My mother always said, “give and ye shall receive.” I gave the painter a $100 bonus for his two teens who helped remove the wallpaper. Maybe it’s coming back to me from Delta.

Our cool weather is over. It is a beautiful day here. Even with the hot summers and high insurance costs, I love where I live. We have all the stores and top-notch medical facilities, the beach and three libraries near me, a half dozen museums right in our county and, at least for now, Major League Baseball.

Have a good day.
I sincerely hope that you do get a full refund. And I definitely feel that there’s a great deal of truth in what your mother told you! It has happened to me time and time again!

Creative
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 pm ATTENTION!! ATTENTIONS!!!

EzriCare Artificial Tears. IF you have any at your house, DISPOSE of them!!! They are contaminated and several people have lost eyes and eye sight due to infections caused by this product! It's a terrible thing and I just saw this on CNN and wanted to warn you all. I know my eyes are dry a lot of the time and I bought some Visine. Be very careful!! I can't even say that Visine is completely safe but this Ezricare Artificial Tears have adversely affected hundreds of people before they could pin down the product.

Cause I care about you all!

MJ
i got a recall notice from Amazon after I had used almost half a bottle. I am glad it didn’t affect my eyes .I am keeping them n case they offer a recall and I need info.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Hi all. This computer is quite literally on its last legs so if I don't post for a bit it is because I'm in the process of getting a new one, getting it set up and all that jazz.

I am off work next week but will be extremely busy - yard work, appointments, etc. so may not check in frequently. Hope you are all doing well.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

All household tasks completed by 10 am, then I completed the inner portion of the embroidered quilt square. I have it set up to do one of the corners and will probably work on that the next few days. Hopeful of getting at least one square done before the end of the month.

I will be working on knitting those mitts tonight.

Other then that I took two short walks today and picked up the mail on the second one. Nothing much in the box, just a tax assessment for the lot Dad left us. Really wish we could sell the darn thing.

Off to get myself in trouble.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 pm ATTENTION!! ATTENTIONS!!!

EzriCare Artificial Tears. IF you have any at your house, DISPOSE of them!!! They are contaminated and several people have lost eyes and eye sight due to infections caused by this product! It's a terrible thing and I just saw this on CNN and wanted to warn you all. I know my eyes are dry a lot of the time and I bought some Visine. Be very careful!! I can't even say that Visine is completely safe but this Ezricare Artificial Tears have adversely affected hundreds of people before they could pin down the product.

Cause I care about you all!

MJ
oh yes - that is scary. The only eyedrops we use are the ones the COD gets from the VA. Not even sure why he gets them. So nothing off the shelf.