Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check-In May 29, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, you are really doing great with the food budget. Restocking is hurting mine right now, but I've about finished that. I've decided to keep a pantry half the size that I used to, as DH eats so oddly and I just don't eat much.

HappyDaze, you did a great job with putting your outfits togethet. They both sound so nice.

I got the morning chores done, showered and put on clean clothes, and headed out to do errands. Goodwill was open, so I dropped off my bag of donations and checked the shirt rack. Bought a cute embroidered top for $1.99. It has been washed and is hanging to dry on the back porch.

The At Home store is in the same shopping center, so I stopped there and walked myself to death looking for a wire shelf for the baking cabinet before finding the right thing, then popped over to Dollar Tree for almond milk and cat treats.

DS helped me fill up the bird feeder and I fed and watered the tomato plants and gave the soil some Epsom salts.

I need to string together some garden hoses and wash off the black privacy barrier on the chain link fence at the far end of the yard. It has streaks of bird poop on it and the dogs ran through the ashes on the grass from DH burning a stump and put ashy paw prints all over it. But not today.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi mes amis!

Since Memorial Day is the day dedicated to honoring all service members who died in service to the country (Veterans Day is to honor all who have served), I want to mention Orville Wolf. I've mentioned him before but remembering his legacy is what I do to keep him alive for people and to honor my Dad's wishes that he never be forgotten.

Orville was my Dad's best friend all the way through country school when they walked together to the school house and then when they went to "the big school" in Luverne, Minnesota. They were both country boys that went to country school in Beaver Creek, Minnesota (a little town about 5 miles from Luverne). They both joined the Navy at 17 after they graduated from Luverne High School. My Dad was 17 and Orville was 17 or 18. Orville never made it home and it broke my Dad's heart. Orville was with a group sent in to Hiroshima after they dropped the bomb. He died within the year of Radiation Sickness. Every year, without fail, we would go to the small cemetery on a windy hilltop, to meet with Orville's parents, Date and Gladys Wolf, to honor their only boy for the sacrifice he made during WWII for the USA. Dad never forgot his best friend and I do my best every year to say a prayer for Orville and his parents who lost him at 20 years old or so. So, here's to you Orville for all those years of being my Daddy-o's best friend and all you did during WWII to prevent fascism from reaching the shores of the USA.

I am just reading today's check-ins and having a second cup of coffee and then heading out. As I told you yesterday, I let my only brother, Mickey, know that I had Grandma Georgie's Antique (1911) cast iron Candy Scale to give to him. Today, he asked me how much I wanted for it. I have to admit, I was QUITE OFFENDED! I'd NEVER, EVER sell a family heritage and legacy piece to a family member. YIKES! What kind of low-life does he think I am?! I had told him he could get it from anyone who comes up and takes it home for him and sent him some photos of an identical scale (in HORRIBLE condition but gave him an idea of what I am talking about). Today, he emailed me about taking it to the UPS store and finding out how much it would be to have it shipped to him. I said I would do that within the next two weeks. I told him it's going to be COSTLY (well over $100) because it is cast iron and weighs somewhere between 25 and 30 POUNDS! They will also have to have a special reinforced box for it too. I didn't tell him how offended I was about being asked a price for it but I did have to tell him he would have to pay for the shipping as there is no way I could afford that on my disability check. He agreed to that and said he could call in and pay with his credit card. I told him I just want this legacy piece to stay in the family and passed on down to the next generations. Sheesh. I still can't believe he asked me "how much do you want for it?" Cripes! I know from looking online it is worth over $1,000 as the one I found the photo of (All rusty and glass missing and broken, Grandma Georgie's is in perfect shape except dirty from storage) but I'd never in my DREAMS ask to be paid for it. GEEZ. That really bothers me for some reason.

I will switch over to Iced Coffees soon and the heat and humidity keep sneaking up. The humidity really is what does me in and causes me to turn on the A/C. I don't need it overnight though, so that is good. I try to run it only for a half hour or hour to make it comfortable and then turn it off until needed again. Thank heavens for a remote control on my A/C!

I am going to the Shoppers Mall Today as my ring is done and ready for pick-up at Reesor's Jewelry. I am so excited to get it! I can hardly wait to be wearing it. It's been my dream since I bought it back in October! So, now I'll be able to wear my 60th birthday present!

Well, I am done with my cuppa joe. Have half the dishwasher unloaded and will finish when I get home from the Mall. I am going to make a quick stop to Sobeys as I need dishwasher detergent and some butterscotch Chips and Coconut to make Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars. I have all the other ingredients. I also need to get two containers of Chicken Broth to make more Mexican Black Bean Soup. I got the other ingredients at the Soup Kitchen. I also need to make up a HUGE batch of Taco Seasoning! :mrgreen: I still have kitchen counters to use full bleach on too. I sure hope it works!

That's the skinny from around here.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:18 pm Today is my last day of 11 days off from work - so I have the "yuck" feeling - but it isn't so bad because I know once I get to work tomorrow that all will be well --- it always is.

Still waiting to hear about the other job - they said they will get back to everyone they interviewed - and let them know either way.

I found 2 possible outfits today for my niece's wedding. One is a brown print maxi dress. The other is a navy and white jump suit with a flowy white top (completely separate pieces - I put them together). I got both outfits, complete with shoes, jewelry and bags for under $50 - absolutely amazing!!

I plan to take it easy for the rest of the day. I need to bake some sweet potatoes for work lunches and will watch a movie while those are cooking (or I might cook them in the slow cooker). Off to do that. Have a good afternoon/evening, everyone.
WOWSIE!

That is an AMAZING shopping trip you made and sounds like great purchases! I love jumpsuits but am too long in the body to wear one but a two piece? That would be lovely! I'm so glad you got such a great price on two FULLY outfitted sets to wear.

MJ
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Whelp!

Hearing LOUD thunder out there! Better get out my Tilley hat to keep my hair from becoming more of a mess than it already is. I washed it today but also booked a haircut. It's just a disasterous mop!

CBC did say we were in for a thunderstorm today. I hope it brings a lot of rain too! It's been so hot and dry here that my farmer friends just pray for even drops of rain. I sure hope we get it!!

MJ
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Still in my pajamas! :mrgreen:
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hi everyone,
It has been a lazy day for me. I rolled out of bed at 8:30. I did manage to shower, shampoo, save and wash down my shower walls before the hot water ran out. But that is all I got accomplished. I am planning on meeting members of my support/social group for dinner. I just got back form a 30 minute walk. I need to jump in the shower before dinner.

Tomorrow DGS9 has another baseball game. We are coming up on the last 2 weeks of the season. But DGS9's team will probably play some tournament games.

Have a great evening,
Maggie