Daily Check In November 22, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check In November 22, 2015

Post by Dgflorida »

Afternoon frugals,

I am so pleased with myfitnesspal.com for my diet. Yesterday was another successful day of dieting and I really feel lighter when I jog. And I get so much credit for walking and jogging that I rarely eat all I am allowed. I have been about 400 calories and 200 carbs low for the last two days. Today, I am having a high carb meal, so I will use up the deficit. I haven't walk much so far because we have that cold front blowing through with rain right now. It may get down to 50F briefly. I have the winter blankets down if needed. My winter comforters really need washing before I use them. But I have warm clothes, so I don't think I will need them for one night of 50F.The washing will require a visit to the laundry mat. They are a bit much for the washing machine.

I'm working with some people back in Texas trying to save 3000 beautiful old trees. We are in a legal process and I can't get them to realize their opinions do not matter, only the laws matter. It is very frustrating for me and will likely end badly for them.

I have the turkey carcass thawed and ready for cooking down for soup tomorrow. Only one piece of the first turkey is still in the freezer. I got that second 22 lb, $5 turkey thawing in the frig. We are really eating the turkey. Should I get a third one?

Today is a stay home day. I have finished the Xmas cards and have them ready to mail. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I will drop them in the mail while I am out. We want to send them out early because we have a new address. I hope that they will notice it and change our address in their address book. Hard to say. Wait and see.

Well, off to do some cleaning. Happy frugal day everyone.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Hello. Cloudy & chilly here. Glad I got yard work done Saturday. I baked biscotti this morning. One standard recipe and a new pumpkin recipe. Not impressed w/ the pumpkin ones so will be keeping those. The others go to DH's aunt as a hostess gift this week. I may bake some more one evening.

We got the grill back onto the deck so DH is grilling steaks tonight. I have a large sack of potatoes to use, so mashed potatoes and maybe carrots? No spending for me this weekend. ;)
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good afternoon all,

Slept like a brick last night, had a good morning listening to music and drinking coffee.....looking out at the snow. Very Cold this morning,18 degrees and the snow is still in the trees. It was so pretty I decided to get the Christmas stuff out. I never decorate before Thanksgiving, but this year I am. Going to "kick it up a notch"
I have all of the Fall décor packed and stored, and all of the Christmas decor out and placed. I have the trees into the house from the garage but not decorated because I need them t get to room temp and then I'll need to pull and place the branches. I stored my trees in the garage covered in sheets and wrapped to keep dust off but it still crumples the branches. My trees are getting so old and brittle that after all is straightened and decorated I am going to have a lot of needles to clean up. I also have the stairs and loft railings to decorate....same thing I need to straighten out the garlands and pull them into shape.
Jambalaya for lunch....Holy Moly!!!! good stuff. I think I may have a cup of cappuccino and chill for awhile.
Have a great evening all,
JCKitty
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Afternoon Y'All,
Jambalaya, snow and cappucino... sounds like a great afternoon : )

My smoke alarms just shut up. The steam from boiling water will set them off. I'm not sure about a real fire, tho : ( Last year the fire marshal decreed that we need 2 of them, so I can not even go into another room and close the door.. well maybe the bathroom, but they go on screaming for so long.

I opened my oven to take out my biscuits and set them off. I could not detect any smoke and nothing was burning,

I had biscuits with the last of the sausage hash. I skipped the veggies this time. I had orange juice. I am going to have a cup of French vanilla coffee in a few...

I showered earlier and dressed for a day at home even tho I had planned on going out. But the forecast is for 28 F about midnight brrrr. The coldest we've had this year. go stay go stay ?? Probably stay home. I do have things to do and two good books to finish

A little bit of sunset visible from my window The dark makes the cold even more daunting stay home yes

Off to fix my coffee and grab my Nook to finish one book. The other is on my desktop , one of my Kindle aps. I have two "My PC Kindle" and my "Cloud Reader".I can move books between them.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good evening ...

Kitty, cold here, too. We finally got up in the 20s. Had to haul the big comforter out last night. (And the cover still isn't done. Guess I'd better get cracking!) And thanks to whoever posted about putting a blanket over a slotted or open headboard. Kept us both warmer!

Just finished up the grocery shopping.Feared the stores would be crazy busy, but not too bad. Some produce at Fresh Thyme, free bananas at another store. Had passed up 52 cent-a pound turkey at Meijer ... walked into Kroger and saw their ad: 49 cents a pound. So there's a 14-pounder sitting in my fridge.

Need to pay some bills, then must go put air in my tires ... the low pressure light came on.
shopper113

Post by shopper113 »

I did a major grocery shopping/stock up at the grocery store today. Made a major list of things from their sale and things I needed for thanksgiving, upcoming parties. I spent just under 200 (including tax) and "saved" 87, based on their regular prices/using their card. I bought a half a spiral cut ham (usually 32, marked at 27) and got a 17 dollar turkey breast free. Turkey is in the freezer, ham is in the garage fridge ( use or freeze by Feb 7) depending on how many people rsvp on new years, we may have the ham for our brunch. Plus, there are plenty of other holiday events I could use it for.

Also bought betty crocker cake mixes for 49 cents to stock the pantry, chicken stock for the pantry, more of our "house tea" that was on sale(We use constant comment for iced tea when we entertain or have company) more sage sausage for the new years party (also on sale)... we were low on some things and I just stocked up on others. The cake mixes will last quite a while, but they are handy to have in the pantry in case I need/want a quick dessert.

We got back Wednesday from a week business trip which just happened to be spent, partly, in one of the wine regions in CA. We brought back a few bottles from CA then hit the local, seasonal wine tastings the local wine stores have before Thanksgiving and Christmas. We probably tasted 50 or 60 different wines on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We often share tastings when we are doing that many tastings, to avoid feeling it, and the amount offered is small to begin with. Saturday afternoon, I hit a limit, not of feeling intoxicated, but of just not being able to tell one wine from another, so I was done. But, we found some new wines, found some good prices, and restocked the liquor cabinet for the holidays with some specials. I may also get some rebates, I need to check my offers.