What do you have a hard time throwing out?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

What do you have a hard time throwing out?

Post by icfrugal1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:08 am

I'm going though papers, and I am finding that I am having a hard time throwing out bday and Christmas cards!!!!

What do you have a hard time getting rid of?

Any ideas on how I can throw my cards out?

IC :-)

AuntBridget

Re: What do you have a hard time throwing out?

Post by AuntBridget » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:23 pm

First of all....is it all cards, or just those from certain people ??

I have to admit, I have some birthday cards and Christmas cards, that I will probably keep for a very long time. They are the last ones that I received from certain relatives that have passed.

Other cards I hate to throw out because of the pretty pictures on them....those I cut the fronts off and recycle into my own cards....be it cutting off the cute snowman, and using it as a gift tag.....or using the whole front of the card, and gluing it onto some card stock and making my own greeting card.

The same can be done with birthday cards as well.
Aunt Bridget

AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Oh, I guess I forgot to answer your question about what do I have trouble throwing out.....

I would have to say....EVERYTHING !!! I tend to take after my father in that aspect.....I get ready to throw something out and think....."I might need that some day", or " I wonder if I could use that for". I am getting better about this.

Things that I have REAL trouble getting rid of are things that have been in my family for a long time. Like right now...I have a big lard can that was in my grandma's attic and then moved to my parents attic....well when I bought my first house, I got it, and used it in my kitchen to put my phone on. Right now it is sitting in my living room and used as an end table with a lamp on it.

My hubby gave me a new flat screen tv (not something that I wanted nor do I feel like we needed it, but that is a whole other story) Our old tv was on an old end table (with two shelves) that again has been in my family a long time. This table is really too big to for the new tv. So was thinking of getting something new for it ( need shelves to put the dvd player and vcr on.) So I was thinking of using that table to put the lamp on it....but then what to do with the lard can. I really don't have room for it in my kitchen.
Aunt Bridget

Crimestopper

Post by Crimestopper » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:50 pm

I have a very hard time deciding to toss:
1. Letters from family members who have passed.
2. Old stuff from school; I still have my kindergarten report card!
3. Stuff that can be repurposed even if it will be forever before I get to it, such as old clothes to turn into rags after cutting off buttons to save in case I ever need that kind of button.
4. The stacks of wood in my garage which would make great shelving, if I ever got around to it.
5. Files of stuff I saved over the years, such as all the paper I printed out on how to survive Y2K. I've been tossing that out today after all these years because it dawned on me that I did survive Y2K.
6. Recipes I clipped or printed out. Don't even ask about this problem! And I know in my brain I will never, ever get around to trying most of them out.
7. Lists I have made over the years on potential projects, goals, etc. Some of them are now ancient and I don't think the Smithsonian would want them.
8. Boxes that can be used for something. There's way too many in the garage of the good boxes. The boxes I get at Sam's Club or Costco to bring home groceries are usually junk and I toss them right away.
9. Trinkets, old stuff that might be worth something if I sold it on ebay or etsy, such as a metal lunch box, Hallmark Christmas ornaments, if I ever got around to listing them for sale.

There's a lot more stuff too...

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Crimestopper wrote:I have a very hard time deciding to toss:
1. Letters from family members who have passed.
2. Old stuff from school; I still have my kindergarten report card!
3. Stuff that can be repurposed even if it will be forever before I get to it, such as old clothes to turn into rags after cutting off buttons to save in case I ever need that kind of button.
4. The stacks of wood in my garage which would make great shelving, if I ever got around to it.
5. Files of stuff I saved over the years, such as all the paper I printed out on how to survive Y2K. I've been tossing that out today after all these years because it dawned on me that I did survive Y2K.
6. Recipes I clipped or printed out. Don't even ask about this problem! And I know in my brain I will never, ever get around to trying most of them out.
7. Lists I have made over the years on potential projects, goals, etc. Some of them are now ancient and I don't think the Smithsonian would want them.
8. Boxes that can be used for something. There's way too many in the garage of the good boxes. The boxes I get at Sam's Club or Costco to bring home groceries are usually junk and I toss them right away.
9. Trinkets, old stuff that might be worth something if I sold it on ebay or etsy, such as a metal lunch box, Hallmark Christmas ornaments, if I ever got around to listing them for sale.

There's a lot more stuff too...
I LOVE # 5 :lol: Thank you for your list, it is getting me to think.

IC

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:58 pm

AuntBridget wrote:Oh, I guess I forgot to answer your question about what do I have trouble throwing out.....

I would have to say....EVERYTHING !!! I tend to take after my father in that aspect.....I get ready to throw something out and think....."I might need that some day", or " I wonder if I could use that for". I am getting better about this.

Things that I have REAL trouble getting rid of are things that have been in my family for a long time. Like right now...I have a big lard can that was in my grandma's attic and then moved to my parents attic....well when I bought my first house, I got it, and used it in my kitchen to put my phone on. Right now it is sitting in my living room and used as an end table with a lamp on it.

My hubby gave me a new flat screen tv (not something that I wanted nor do I feel like we needed it, but that is a whole other story) Our old tv was on an old end table (with two shelves) that again has been in my family a long time. This table is really too big to for the new tv. So was thinking of getting something new for it ( need shelves to put the dvd player and vcr on.) So I was thinking of using that table to put the lamp on it....but then what to do with the lard can. I really don't have room for it in my kitchen.
I love your Lard can, very cool.

More then cards I am looking at school books from 1980, why am I keeping them as proof that I went to school???

IC