Daily Check in Jan 21, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
AnneX

Re: Daily Check in Jan 21, 2016

Post by AnneX »

Good Morning:

Sun is shining - yeah! There was a tiny bit of snow last night but the sidewalks are clear so I won't need to wear boots.

I've been up for quite a while but haven't accomplished much. I did put a load of laundry away, and placed a few holds on library items.

i am dressed and ready to go out. First dancericise, then lunch with classmates, then book club at the library, then a haircut (badly needed as it is very shaggy and I have a serious case of hat head with my hair sticking out in all directions).

After that I may possibly take the bus to a library branch I have never been to to get a printmaking book, but I expect I will not have the energy for that.

I have some salmon left from last night for supper so will have that with salad and vegetables.

Now I'd better go water my plants. The amaryllis my sister gave me at Christmas time has big red buds just about ready to open, and the paperwhites are still very pretty.

Take care,
AnneX
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal ones. The predicted snow for last night did not happen, which is fine by me. Snow on the weekend that's gone by Monday morning is much more to my taste. :) We are supposed to get sideswiped by the next big storm, but we'll see if there's anything to that.

The no-spend January is going well but not without constant attention. It is rather like a tedious diet, as Rinty says.

Aside from routine housecleaning and doing some baking (pumpkin muffins are calling my name), there's not a lot that needs tending to around here. Our bigger dachshund needs a bath, but it's cold enough that I'll have to blow-dry her afterward and that's a pain for both of us.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mackie
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Unexpected 1" of fluffy snow last evening created havoc on the highways. Fortunately I was already home. It still looks like I can work to noon on Friday before the real storm sets in so that is the plan. DH went to the grocery and bought masses of junk food in addition to some regular food. I did accomplish laundry and made bread in the machine.

DH claims he will be home from work in time to cook dinner. Nice for me if true. Exercise class was canceled last night, I need to use a DVD. I received a new one for Christmas that I have not tried yet.

Stay warm.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning.

Up late it was almost 8 dog walked.

Blankets in the washer.

DH has a blood draw today, then we will go to lunch.

IC
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Jackielou wrote:Good morning fellow frugalites

So far the temperature has stayed just lovely. Still below freezing, but not so cold that a person just wants to bury themselves in blankets.

Should be a quiet time today, my to do list is not long so I am hoping to get some extra cleaning done today (like the fridge). I also hope to finish another sewing project. I had a bit of a problem with my knit fabric getting caught up in the feed dogs, but I think I have managed to fix that. I did finish the skirt though. Today will be another dress. I have never made this pattern before so it may take a bit to get everything figured out.

If I manage to get the dress done, I will transfer the markings (buttonholes and such) to the jumper. Really hoping to get that done tomorrow and at least a start on the red coat I keep putting off on Saturday and Sunday.

Frugality wise there should be no shopping or spending today. We have been looking at sale fliers and Hubby went to the Brick to look at what a new stove would cost. Man those things have gone up in price and they are all the flat top as well. Just wondering if a person can use those for canning, jam making, or making stock. Guess I will have to question the sales person when we go and buy one.

I plan on taking a walk this morning as soon as it lightens a bit. Free exercise is wonderful.

In other words just a normal day here on the old Homestead.

Supper tonight will be leftover turkey (I will remember to put this out to thaw immediately).

Today I am grateful that the ice fog stayed just that and did not turn to rain.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie,

If by flat-top stove, you mean the glass-topped stoves, yes you can Can on it. At least I do on mine. I just make sure that I lift my heavy water bath and pressure canners off the burners, rather than sliding them so I don't scratch the stove-top with the bottom of my pots. Anything that I used to make on my old coil-burner electric stove, I do just fine on my glass-top stop, but I'm careful that I don't scratch the top, and I make certain to wipe up spills as quickly as I can so those don't burn into the edges of the burner rings (hubby & boys aren't quite as willing as I to clean up messes so I do have some permanent marks :().
Gayle
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

good Morning everyone!!

It is a lovely sunny morning here too, thought a bit cold but I hope to use that for my purposes later.

Chores on list for today:
***clean out fridge (plan to put coolers full of food out in shade in the snow) - plus clean back and hopefully somehow vacuum the coils under it -- which ever dingdong made these new fridges with the coils UNDERNEATH ought to be taken out and kicked, its a pretty difficult thing to get them clean!!
***Laundry -- coats & jeans esp.
***Vacuum living room & floors
***Make cookies/dessert for RS meeting tonight (I hope to show these women that GF and sugar-free CAN taste good).
***2 errands in town
***Plan dinner, I'm thinking leftovers for the children.
***Most important of all, care for my girls -- they are both ill with different-sounding coughs. Dd5 has tonsillitis and after talking to the nurse this morning, dd2 apparently has the croup. :(
***I hope to make cough drops today too, since there's minimal humidity and no clouds. I like making my own that have good things in them, and very little/no sugar.

I'm running my essential oils diffuser today too, in an additional effort to help the sickies around here (1-2 of my boys still have coughs occasionally) get better faster.

I had some of my homemade SF cranberry sauce in my morning smoothie, I may have more on GF bread for lunch. ;) Its that good to me.

I'd best get going on my chores, though I'd really like to just lay down on the couch and nap for 2 hours. I know once I get moving, I'll feel more energetic (I'm hoping). Happy Thursday Everyone!!

=) Gayle