Daily Check-in Jan 22, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-in Jan 22, 2016

Post by clemencia2us »

Jackielou wrote:We have now had an update on the school shooting. Five dead and 2 in serious, life threatening condition. The shooter is in custody.
How awful
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Jackie, So sad about the school shootings.

So the entire city was on alert for snow. We knew we were on the edge. and simple shifts could bring a lot or none. Basically only South of the river and the far east burb are getting snow, and lots of it. We have flurries. Many schools closed or closed early. Basketball games were cancelled... Very interesting.

DS1 and family were over for dinner. He is in good spirits. No he needs to make some decisions. A friend of his MILs works for a bank that will be hiring in the fraud department, full benefits, tuition reimbursement but he is unsure about a desk job. His old company will bring him back if they get more work. So time will tell.

Maggie
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Checking back at the end of the day. Jackie and all Canadiens - so very sorry about your school shooting. I sometimes despair for our world. I don't understand a mind so sick that it turns a gun on children.

Well - the ham is all cut up but not frozen or cooked. I sauteed some ham steaks for dinner. I spent HOURS cleaning my three oven racks and they are still not clean. I have heard that the way to clean them is to put them in a trash bag with a cup full of ammonia and set outside in the sun for 6 hours and then to hose them off. That is what I am doing next time. My hands look like I have been a charwoman for 50 years. I tried everything but baking soda and hydrogen peroxide paste combined with elbow grease seemed to be the most effective. At one point as I stood in there scrubbing and scraping, hubs asked if we could not just buy new racks. Good thing I am cheap - but it was tempting.

Well off to package ham cubes. I know you all are jealous. Admit it. I understand.

Have a great evening all.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Yes! Yes! I clean oven racks by putting them in a garbage bag with a cup of ammonia, twist tie the bag close and leave it in the sun for the day. Hose it off and the rack is CLEAN!

I love this method. It really works.

Regards,
Julie
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Thanks for the info Julie -
I am going to try this in the Spring.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

colonialgirl wrote:Checking back at the end of the day. Jackie and all Canadiens - so very sorry about your school shooting. I sometimes despair for our world. I don't understand a mind so sick that it turns a gun on children.

Well - the ham is all cut up but not frozen or cooked. I sauteed some ham steaks for dinner. I spent HOURS cleaning my three oven racks and they are still not clean. I have heard that the way to clean them is to put them in a trash bag with a cup full of ammonia and set outside in the sun for 6 hours and then to hose them off. That is what I am doing next time. My hands look like I have been a charwoman for 50 years. I tried everything but baking soda and hydrogen peroxide paste combined with elbow grease seemed to be the most effective. At one point as I stood in there scrubbing and scraping, hubs asked if we could not just buy new racks. Good thing I am cheap - but it was tempting.

Well off to package ham cubes. I know you all are jealous. Admit it. I understand.

Have a great evening all.
Yes, I was going to say, just buy new ones. How do they get so dirty? Do you have a lot of spills? I always put a big flat pan under anything I bake or roast.

The other day I bought a frozen pizza that ideally should be baked just on the rack, no pan. No way to that.

One thing I've noticed, my stove which is used maybe 4 times a week can get filthy. Cooking is a filthy business. No wonder it used to be done outside. I'd rather just go out to eat! Lol