Daily Check In February 1, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Daily Check In February 1, 2016

Post by LWolfT »

Afternoon, all
Somewhat warm...expecting storms tomorrow... Possible tornadoes.
Got some of the touch up painting done over the weekend. And after all my marathon shopping, had to go back to the store for bread. Ack!
Will head out for a walk in a bit ....
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Had a phone conversation this morning about the part-time job. It starts after Feb. 19, although I'm not sure if they'll have me come in early while the person who is leaving is still there. If my math is correct, we'll be able to use this paycheck to make two extra mortgage payments to principal every month.

DH did our income tax return last night and, for the first time in ages, we're getting some money back. I jokingly told him we should drop out of the workforce for a few months every year to get that bonus. He said, "Hahahaha, no." :-D

In the area of laying in provisions, I ordered six months' worth of coffee online from Rogers Gourmet Coffee, on sale, with a 30 percent off discount coupon, free shipping, and $1.30 in loyalty points. Can't beat that, especially when it brings the monthly cost of coffee here at home to $4.79.

In just a bit I need to go to Dollar Tree for more flour and some soy milk, and then Save-a-lot for some produce and sugar.

Hope everyone has a lovely, frugal day.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

Mackie, thats brilliant, and its only part-time, yes ?

Annoying day, DH was poorly yesterday and he's not 100%.The dog is staking him out but grudgingly is allowing me to do all the long walks :)

I ended up having to collect a DGK when one of the kids cars got blocked in at their office, drove across town to find roads closed, aggghhhh.

Took us forever to get home so I swung into the shops to check out the Yellow Stickers...........for 50p I got 2 cheese topped bagettes, 2 x 5p 2 loaves of bread, 2 x 5p some kidneys ( for devilled kidneys tomorrow) 10p a pot of guacamole, 10p and a rhubarb pie, also 10p.......BoOOYAH.

Plenty of young families going for the DEALZ today. I wouldn't go for the pizzas but for a young family.... fab. At the bread section , everything was 5p........I haven't seen it lower than 10p so it was great. I got all our bread for the week. Lots of loaves, bageuttes, big crusty rolls, ciabatta, all 5p. A separate area had pies, doughnuts, muffins and pancakes. I did pick up a pie as , lets face it I couldn't make one for 10 p !!!!!!! One young mum was meal planning, she told her kids they were having pancakes for breakfast all week, then had then choose muffins and do-nuts but she told them they were freezing them.

Not heard a thing from the job I really wanted.Oh well.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Rinty, sure wish I could score similar deals on mark-downs at the grocery.
Finally bathed the dog Sunday. I will wash all his bedding tonight. DH is home all day (no longer working regularly) so not sure if he plans to fix some dinner or not. I am happy if it's leftovers. It's raining here so I hope some of the snow melts. My car is also filthy from the road salt & spray. Supposed to rain really heavily on Wednesday so no car wash in the plan until after all that. Guess I will work on the cross-stitch some more tonight. Have a good evening.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

rinty wrote:Mackie, thats brilliant, and its only part-time, yes ?
Yes, it's 28 hours a week. I figure that will give me enough time to make some money AND do all the super-frugal stuff around here. Me not working for nine months finally made DH realize that we really can live on his salary and put all mine toward debt.

Sorry hear that your DH is feeling poorly. Hope he gets better soon. And I'm sorry the desired job hasn't called you back.

I managed to get everything on my shopping list except golden raisins (raisins made from white grapes). DH likes them better than dark raisins, but he's going to have to suck it up and take one for the team on that issue because the discount stores aren't stocking the pricier golden version.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

Update... also frugally.........I had been given a £20 voucher from ToysRUs when we did the Christmas shopping back in December, but looking at the small print you could ONLY use it to buy Lego and ONLY up til January 16th.

Well, obviously I hadn't used it and it had expired but thought I would chance my arm and trotted up to ToysRUs to appeal to their better nature. A charming member of staff agreed the small print was exceeding small ;) and asked her manager if it could be used in any way. The manager was equally pleasant," I'll meet you halfway ", he offered so I got £10 in cash ! Of course I then went and spent it on 2 small items but FREE is good. Well done ToysRus for great customer service !