decluttering more insiration please

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: decluttering more insiration please

Post by floridacatlover »

Crimestopper wrote:IC, I've been decluttering for the past couple of years with lots of stuff to get rid of in a large house. I'm inspired by the minimalist way of living and thinking. Some good websites for inspiration are Miss Minimalist and Becoming Minimalist with Joshua Becker. There are lots of others but these two are my favorites.

What helps me is to keep an ongoing logbook of absolutely everything I get rid of, down to the smallest thing (such as a dead pen). It is amazing to look back at the logbook and wonder how I came to own so much stuff. I mark whether the item leaving the house goes in the garbage, give to a friend or family member, feed to deer (such as half a bag of aging shredded carrots from the fridge), sell, or donate to a charity. I also keep a separate list of all the items donated to charity organizations with the value listed (Salvation Army has a value pricing list on its website) and this list gets attached to the receipt and is all ready to hand to my accountant at tax time.

The log book helped me realize I was buying too much fruit, not eating it all, and then having to give it to the deer or compost bin, so I now watch what I'm buying and save a few dollars. Hope this helps inspire you!
I like the idea of the logbook and I'm going to start one. (I have several blank notebooks from when I went overboard at back-to-school sales a few years ago.)

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

peaches wrote:When Dh's mom then sister died.. we had to clean out their homes.. Dh brought ALOT and I DO mean ALOT of their stuff here and put it in the basement. We also have some of both our son's stuff here. I wasn't thrilled.. but he said.. "We can sell it on Ebay". Well... I can count on 4 hands the things of theirs he sold in the last ten yrs. There is just a path thru my basement. But I have to say the few things he did sell.. he got a GREAT prices for. EXAMPLE: One Elvis 45 record.. "Ole Shep" sold just the other day for $125 & change. I love it but wish he'd sell more.. MORE often. He loves books.. and we have boxes and boxes.. EVERYWHERE .. (on the porch .. basement and in MY living room.. ugh) maybe? a 1/2 ton all together. I get so discouraged sometimes.. and yak at him about em.. That's usually when he looks and finds 'something' researches how much it may be selling for etc .. Then "lists" if it for a good price. I am embarrassed to have ANYONE inside my home. It's not as bad as that show "hoarders" but enuff to make me embarrassed. Since health problems interfered with my energy.. now it looks worse than EVER :cry: :cry: Anyone have that kind of problem? He does NOT think he has a problem..like those folks on hoarders think. Am really embarrassed to even be telling you all :oops: It will be our lil secret ok? :?
My friend worked for a company that received lots of free, newly released books. No one at the company wanted them so my friend took them home as they came in and listed them on eBay. Over a two-year period she made $2,000. I have never listed on eBay but I do buy from time to time and it amazes me the prices on so many "vintage" things. Good luck with the selling/decluttering.

peaches

Post by peaches »

ErinHuffstetler wrote:
If you read my above post.. the are words I missplelled.. Embarresed for example and in their place is a jumble of letters etc.. what can I do about that"? I've noticed em in other;s posts. Thanks for any info
Hi Peaches,

If you ever catch a misspelling, or want to change something you wrote, just click on the little pencil icon above your post, and it'll take you it'll allow you to make edits.

As to the jumbled letters, that might have been the result of the word sensors that are in place on the forum. I had them set too sensitively the other day, so it would have flagged a word like embarrassed because it contained a cuss word inside of it. Silly stuff, and hopefully something I've gotten straightened out.
Thanks Erin!

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

I have not done much DE cluttering lately, but on the other hand I am not bringing more stuff into the house, more bites of the elephant.

I am going to promise myself that I will get into the garage this week and at least one box this week.

IC