Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by frugalmom »

Some frugal things I did this past week besides usual things:
1. Brought tuna sandwiches and snacks for our dinner as we drove to basketball practice (we go from school practice straight to AAU practice)-so easy to just pick up a burger or something and my son rather have that probably,but he knows we are saving money so he was fine with the tuna sandwich and did not complain.

2. Ran out of half and half so had heavy whipping cream leftover so mixed that with half milk making my own half and half for my tea-and used it up.

3. Used up Preson's breakfast thin steak for lunch and since not enough for everyone diced it and put it between two corn tortillas with cheese and kind of like quesadilla but the restaurant out here calls it las mulas.

4. Exercise at home and walk in the park.

5. Asking for scholarship for bb and will barter for work to keep his teams organized since new team-we will see-but his old team is fighting to keep him so we will see (and it is well known in the aau world and will give him more recognition in the bb world). New team in just two years ranked already and great training but far commute for me. Old team already ranked for many years and many famous NBA players come from this team(we are not looking for NBA but for college and high schools accepting him and scholarships).
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

1. Got a senior discount for my dh when he went to my son's game so only 2.00. Yes, they charge for school games. I paid 4.00 one school and 2.00 at our school (which is in a rich area where million dollar homes are and they are cheaper than the other school in a less affluent area-go figure!). Note we do not live in either area-we live in a worse city-we transferred to those schools bc better although high school they don't bc everyone wants to go there so Idk what to do then-researching different options now.

2.My dh gives me a hat to wear this morning-lol-and telling me to put on socks-sheesh-we do not turn on the heater usually. We did it for the holidays and it shot up to 232. where usually we now pay 130.00! So have to back that down again!

3. Hitting the 5.00 Safeway sales if it is a good deal-my son likes fried chicken so may get that-trying to bulk him up bc he is just too light/skinny. Won't buy much at safeway though-too expensive for me. I like my .99 only store.

4. Saved 33.00 and got 9.00 rebate on boots since only wearing tennis shoes and flip flops for winter-winter almost over so on sale,put promo code and rebates. So 42.00 off the sale price.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

frugalmom, that is a lot! Huge savings just by bringing your own food, especially if you do it all the time. I am trying to think - I have gotten so much better at into the habit of being better at "thinking frugal" all the time - with this new year's goal (goal, not resolution - I don't make resolutions)....so let me think...

1. Washed sheets and blankets that the kiddo used while he was here in cold water, hung to dry.

2. Made some makeshift homemade laundry soap by dumping a free sample of Oxyclean powder and a squirt of Dollar Tree dish soap into a big jar and adding water. Gave it a good shake. I stir it before every use and add 1/4 cup to a load of laundry.

3. Walked to work each day. Yes, I had to drive kiddo to his bus stop across town - UGH - but then walked to work. Then walked to ex's apartment to get kiddo from babysitter and walked him home each evening. Yes, cold, Yes, rough - but moving at a brisk pace is good for us both and saved on gas. All that stopping and going with in-town driving is expensive, not to mention the wear on the car.

4. Took advantage of a lot of free food at work this week. There are some people in the community who give us stuff - (they say they want to show appreciation for the work that we do) - like big boxes of hot cocoa mix they get at Sam's Club - I think there are 60 packets of cocoa. We can't give that stuff to our customers but we can use it. They also gave us a lot of tea for the office Keurig and a lot of left over Christmas candy. There were also a lot of free bananas this week and some cheese and crackers.

5. Being more conscious of thinking about "need vs. want". I used to think I had that DOWN...but now I think maybe I was wrong. Even regarding "needs" --- do I really NEED groceries when there is food in multiple places all around my kitchen? Can I eat for another week by pulling from the freezer, baking a loaf of bread and getting creative?
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Well, I did not keep good notes this week, so here goes.

1) reduced the house temperature all week due to the cold weather. Also cut up an old rug to increase the insulation in the windows. Worked well.

2) chatted up the workers next door and got many good 4x4 timber and some plastic fence.

3) chatted up the door installer and got a lot of expensive trim wood. Also got a nice front door from another job he did. Lots to recycle. I love recycling.

4) chatted up a tree service and got a free load of wood chips/mulch. Value about $50. I think.

5) finished a sample pack of thyroid medicine. Saved $7.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My frugal things for the week

1) de-nailed the free 4x4's and took six to create a base for trellis
2) raked leaves, put them in the flower beds and covered with free wood mulch
3) cut up cardboard boxes to use under garden for weed control
4) made small planter pots out of toilet paper cardboard tubes.
5) polished copper and stainless with dried up toothpaste
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My five for the week ending Feb 1

1) made more planting pots out of toilet paper tubes and planted seeds in them
2) used HD $5 off coupon at Lowe's and scored nice plants on clearance and a fruit bush.
3) re-built a raised garden along the fence using recycled wood.
4) bought 6 bags of cheap composted dirt at Walmart.
5) recycled empty soil bags into weed barrier under the pavers.