Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by Dgflorida »

Those pesky electric bills. Frugalmom, they are a challenge. At least, you know the cause and can do something about it. I don't do electric scents anymore either.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My five for the week:

1) used another gift card from my cc bonus points at Home Depot.
2) finished a thyroid med sample pack. Save $7
3) made kitty a shredded paper pillow for winter.
4) repaired garden sneaker. I have reglued this one 5 times, so I just wrapped the flappy toe end with nylon tape. I don't use the nylon tape much anymore and tape goes bad after awhile. Still good. Shoe is good too.
5) cleaned ceramic bowl, coffee cup and aluminum door frame with solidified toothpaste. Hubs gave me a tube to use up without a top. He lost it. The toothpaste was great and didn't damage anything.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My five things:

1) got 2 gift cards from renew rewards for health things
2) got $10 gift card for listening to a lecture on health insurance
3) got clearance canna lilies at great discount
4) free bag of cat food. Saved $14
5) saved water from shower warm up. Used it for toilet flush and cleaning
rinty

Post by rinty »

Ate fruit and veg from the allotment and garden .

Lots of cooking and baking, even the herbs and garlic are homegrown.

Got loads of Christmas presents FREE with points and rewards.

Used our National Trust cards for FREE days out enjoying autumn sunshine.

Used our cinema vouchers, seen 4 films recently for the price of one and a half, we take our own drinks and snacks.

Lovely books from the library.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

This weekend:
1. Bringing money in-sold piano for 1300.00 (was for 1500.00 but she bargained)-at least I have someone buying it! Going to miss that beautiful cherry piano. Adding that to my savings for dd's college tuition-although have property taxes due too :(-it goes from one hand to the other-like everytime I get money in, something has to be paid!

2. Putting exercise equipment that my dh can no longer use bc of his knees, head injury etc-should bring in at least a 1000.00 I hope or more-but most likely less since they always try to bargain it down on Craigslist. However, it does not work for us when we bargain it down-sheesh-I told my dh must be we have the word stupid on our forehead! looking for more stuff to sell around the house-every little bit helps.

3. Still using up the groceries we have-freezers are still stocked but fridge is empty pretty much.

4. Trying to seek out Christmas gifts from new things that I already have but never used that I saved over the years. Like I have a new jacket for girl's that my sil bought but my girl was tall so she could never fit it and it will fit my niece and it is a pretty jacket and has the tags still on it even. Have men's clothing too with tags that my dh never wore and nice(my dh just likes tee shirts and shorts). Stuffed animals,etc-so got some of my list pared down. Working on gift cards from my rewards points. Got wine that someone gave me-can give that and candles. So that will help with the costs esp since not working.

5. Just not going out much so cannot spend! Like my dd wanted some Halloween decorations to decorate dorm-so I just used a few decorations I had and the rest of mine I did not use I gave for her to decorate and she was happy-did not have to spend anything-use what I have motto!

6. Oh and cutting cable,and phone today and maybe internet too if they don;t give me the special deal and then shop around for a better deal per month-will try to negotiate but last time At and T did not so lost a 30-40 year customer and then a year later they wanted me back and i told them too late. So now may have to go back to At and T if this company does not cooperate! I want the internet back at 29.99 but here they want to charge me 60.00 if I cancel the other two services! I got my antennae set up as well and Preston has been doing homework on his cell on wi fi. So doable to suffer until we get internet at a good price.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

frugalmom wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:58 pm This weekend:
1. Bringing money in-sold piano for 1300.00 (was for 1500.00 but she bargained)-at least I have someone buying it! Going to miss that beautiful cherry piano. Adding that to my savings for dd's college tuition-although have property taxes due too :(-it goes from one hand to the other-like everytime I get money in, something has to be paid!

2. Putting exercise equipment that my dh can no longer use bc of his knees, head injury etc-should bring in at least a 1000.00 I hope or more-but most likely less since they always try to bargain it down on Craigslist. However, it does not work for us when we bargain it down-sheesh-I told my dh must be we have the word stupid on our forehead! looking for more stuff to sell around the house-every little bit helps.

3. Still using up the groceries we have-freezers are still stocked but fridge is empty pretty much.

4. Trying to seek out Christmas gifts from new things that I already have but never used that I saved over the years. Like I have a new jacket for girl's that my sil bought but my girl was tall so she could never fit it and it will fit my niece and it is a pretty jacket and has the tags still on it even. Have men's clothing too with tags that my dh never wore and nice(my dh just likes tee shirts and shorts). Stuffed animals,etc-so got some of my list pared down. Working on gift cards from my rewards points. Got wine that someone gave me-can give that and candles. So that will help with the costs esp since not working.

5. Just not going out much so cannot spend! Like my dd wanted some Halloween decorations to decorate dorm-so I just used a few decorations I had and the rest of mine I did not use I gave for her to decorate and she was happy-did not have to spend anything-use what I have motto!

6. Oh and cutting cable,and phone today and maybe internet too if they don;t give me the special deal and then shop around for a better deal per month-will try to negotiate but last time At and T did not so lost a 30-40 year customer and then a year later they wanted me back and i told them too late. So now may have to go back to At and T if this company does not cooperate! I want the internet back at 29.99 but here they want to charge me 60.00 if I cancel the other two services! I got my antennae set up as well and Preston has been doing homework on his cell on wi fi. So doable to suffer until we get internet at a good price.
I give you a lot of credit, frugalmom. I hope that things lighten up for you soon.