Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by frugalmom »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:26 pm
frugalmom wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:49 pm 1. I took the kids out to see Jumanji (good and funny movie btw-I love the Rock!) at the movie theater that is only 4.00 a ticket near our house so 12.00 total but got 5.00 off since we are rewards members so 7.00 grand total. Then I went to treat them to popcorn and Icee and use my rewards,but the cash register froze so had to go to another and then they already took off my points so she called the manager and she gave me the whole thing for FREE for the hassle! So for the whole movie outing I spent only 7.00 for three people!

2. Returned stuff(gifts to me) to Burlington coat factory and got 50.00 card-did not see anything yet so will wait til spring stuff comes in and they replenish since it was a bit bare from Christmas after sales. Also will keep a look out for son's suits,etc for upcoming other son's wedding. Also do my Christmas shopping for next year.

3. Same with Target got 50.00 worth of stuff there on gift card and dd needs notebooks,etc for next quarter.

4. Using Kohl's cash-have about 40.00 or so and dd wanted a purse and they have pillows on sale for 2.99 so I will take a look at that-we only spend to what we have on the balance/cash/reward.

5. BEST of all, I do not remember if I mentioned it before-BUT Preston WON a 55 inches Smart tv from a raffle at the Christmas potluck for his basketball team. It was the grand prize and first prize to be called. I spent 35.00 (5.00 x 7 tickets just to buy tickets since we did not buy any I figured I better buy a little bit) and Preston before they called it,said I feel like I am going to win it! Maybe our luck has changed!
That is fantastic about winning the smart tv!

You did really great at the theater. Cheapest around here now is $6 (used to be $5). But my friend and I are going next week to a different theater and it is $8.87 (I hope that includes tax!). I signed up for the rewards program and will get a free small popcorn but still expensive. So that’s more for my single ticket than you paid for three!
The reason it is so cheap is that no one will go there if it was not that cheap bc they opened another theater in the next city over which is really nice. If they kept the same price bc they are really the same theater corporation, that one would have gone out of business as everyone would go to the newer one. So since they lowered the prices to draw people in, I think they are staying afloat. The next city over the tickets are like 13.00(some places 15.00 in SF) I think my dd said and for fancy schmancy ones like 3D or Imax I think it is like 17.00. And I think ours is 4.the whole day and often we get free small popcorn and upgrades on it.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

1. Took homemade vegetable soup to work for lunch every day this week.

2. Re-purposing empty kitty litter and dog and cat food bags as garbage bags.

3. Poked around the grocery section at Dollar Tree and found some good buys. You really have to look and know your prices - not everything in their grocery section is a bargain and I prefer to get products produced in the U.S. or Canada. For $10 I got coffee, cheese (3 pkgs., 6 oz. each), flour (4 lb), soy milk, cinnamon, onion powder, and big bags of pretzels and animal crackers for snacks at work.

4. Took inventory of frige, freezer, food cupboard and determined that I don't need anything in terms of groceries for the coming week except the above mentioned items. It "should" be a no-spend week next week.

5. Completed two articles and earned $14.57. Not where I wanted to be for the week but time has not been on my side with this weather and trying to care for these animals.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

1. Packed my breakfasts, lunches, and tea to work every day. Enjoyed the free coffee there.
2. Trimmed my bangs. I am letting my hair grow a little to save money.
3. DH went to Aldi to buy enough oatmeal sandwich bread to stock the freezer for two months.
4. Inventoried the fridge freezer and beated up some leftovers from it for lunch today.
5. Mended 10 items of clothing on Monday.
Mackie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Great job Mackie.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

1. My light fixture was not working and I could not figure if it was the fixture or the light switch or electric wire somewhere. I did not want to hire an electrician so downloaded a DIY fix it app and took me a bit to understand what it was even saying to do. We went to HD and instead of buying a new fixture,we bought a part that cost us almost 8.00 and replaced that and it worked! Going real cheap here-lol! It did burn out three of my new light bulbs before the fix though :(!

2. Rolled up beach towels long way and secured it and that is my draft dodger on the bottom of my entry door where cold air was coming in.

3. Wearing my Cuddleduds microfleece for warmth since it is cold and rainy today and under my polar fleece jacket which I live in these types of jacket during the winter especially(almost year round except during the hot days). Plus wearing my cozy soft socks from the Dollar store-very soft-and my flip flops-lol-that is year round-shlumpadinka all the way. Sometimes in the house since it is cold lately I wear my knit hat and scarf(I do not turn on the heat unless we are sick-if we do on an esp cold day I will only turn it on for one hour or so and close all the doors to keep the room warm.

4. Yesterday after baking opened the oven door to heat the kitchen area. Drinking warm teas (oolong and green teas and another Persian/Armenian tea-Saday?).

5. Used up my mashed potatoes for Shepherd's pie. Added ripened banana to paleo pancakes which made them taste much better(by itself-it is ok but not like real pancakes but less carbs).

6. Well trying NOT to buy things but did see a winter jacket for Preston which he really liked-a parka. And normally 70.00 and we got it for 13.00! I thought it was a great deal that I went online to look if they have it in a bigger size but it was not even on online-darn! And the men's one that looked like it was on sale for like some high price like 60.00 so forget it! I wanted one for myself even-sheesh-it looked so warm. I still did not buy MY jacket and only wear polar fleece jackets but when it is freezing cold, I just layer as I do not have a jacket. I had one that was puffy before but went to wash it and somehow it like deflated-like where did the fluff or feathers go!? I did not see it anywhere in the dryer or washer-so not warm and it looks funny deflated-I mean I will wear it if I have to if too cold but that was like 2-3 years ago until I find a good jacket(I am too picky) so still searching but wearing my polar fleece in the meantime. I just don't really like puffy jackets although it is warmer,somehow I look like the Michelin man (that white puffy blob) walking down the street!

7. Watching PBS Six Wives(of King Henry) which is a good history docudrama(spelling? is that a word even?) and the second part coming on this Wed. Loving PBS shows esp since I really get nothing now via attenae
and drives me crazy when an important part comes up and all of a sudden it gets a weak signal and you do not know what the person said as it scrambles-UGH! My dh says we should get cable back-and I am like no, we are saving money!

8. 951. check will be picked up by dd from college which is what is left over after scholarships paid her tuition,so rolling that over with the 1500.00 I had saved for the spring. And waiting for the 500.00 scholarship from the yacht club so his year we are good-may rool over to the sophmore year bc maybe we won't get as much and we do not know what scholarships she will get so she better work on that I told her! Unfortunately she will not be able to be guaranteed a dorm next year and so we have to go off campus to an apt which they say is cheaper but the bad part is now we have to pay every month instead of once a quarter so really have to build the savings up so I can support two places basically-mine and hers.
Happychoice

Post by Happychoice »

1. Prepared a large quantity of turkey veg soup using half the carcass given to me by family from Christmas dinner and veggies that were looking pretty limp. Tasty, comforting in the cold weather and saved from the garbage. There's lots of soup left over which I put into the freezer in 1.5 c containers.

2. Found a brand new cloth bag in paper recycling bin. Someone was too lazy to empty the bag of paper. I also take out plastic bags that I find in the bin to use to dispose of garbage that otherwise can't be recycled. It saves me from buying garbage bags. I like other people's laziness!

3. I talked myself out of buying a takeout dinner yesterday. I was tired and just didn't feel like cooking anything. I did a fridge snoop around and found enough left overs to create a satisfying meal.

4. Took home about 2 lbs meatballs from my volunteer kitchen job. Stretching the grocery budget this month.

3. Did not replace the empty bottle of wine I was gifted .... believe me, I was tempted. LOL! And I have made a vow to myself I will not buy wine more all January.
Happiness is a choice!