Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by floridacatlover »

Here are a few frugal things from last week.

1. Signed up for Clairol's new rewards program, Clairol Platinum Rewards. I saw it in the coupon insert a few weeks ago. You buy 4 boxes of haircolor and get the fifth one free. I use Clairol Natural Instincts. It wasn't the easiest thing, but using my iPad I took a photo of my Walmart receipt with 2 boxes of haircolor. (Walmart receipts just say "haircolor" and don't list Clairol, but it worked fine.) I could not upload the photo to the Clairol website using the iPad so I emailed the photo to myself and, using my laptop put the receipt photo in my Pictures folder. Then I signed onto the Clairol website and uploaded the photo. I received an email from Clairol that they had received the receipt and then a day later another email that the 2 boxes had been added to my account. There's probably an easier way to do this but since I will only be adding the receipts once in awhile it worked for me.

2. Rented a Redbox movie using a free gift card. Also I am a member of Redbox's club where after 10 rentals you get one free. I have 9 rentals so only one more to get the free one. The movie was Danny Collins with Al Pacino, Annette Bening and Jennifer Garner. I really liked it.

3. Used a $5 giftcard from Swagbucks when I met my friend for tea at Starbucks on Friday. I only had .18 left on my previous gift card and was able to gather enough Swagbucks just in the nick of time last week. A $5 card only lasts me 2 visits at Starbucks so I'd better start working on my next card.

4. One from the previous week. I went out to breakfast for free with a friend who wanted to thank me for helping her with a writing project. Of course I then splurged and paid $15 to see a museum art exhibit that I had been wanted to see that was near the restaurant.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Mackie .. thanks for bringing this over ... (cause if you hadn't, I would have ;)

Anyway, besides the usual ...

Took a bag o' books to the used bookstore for some $. Was very good and took the $ and ran.

Delayed my Amazon order on TP, with the idea of canceling it later. Using the Aldi brand for the hall bath (it didn't get rave reviews in testing ... I didn't think it was too bad, LOL) Am finding enough sales right now to stock up at a cheaper price.

We're on a campaign to get Little Girl to Eat More Kibble. For a while, she would eat nothing but canned food. Now that we've found something she'll eat, we're cutting back on the canned stuff. She has noticed, however, so we'll be going slowly.

Inadvertently saved some $ on Senior's meds. Had a scare: place we usually buy it from is out of stock. Found another place .. while the meds are $2 higher, the shipping is cheaper, so small savings on my end.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Ha, mental image of you running out the door with a fistful of dollar bills.
Can you put some beef broth over the kibble?
Our cat gets both canned food and kibble but we but several TBSP of water in the canned food and microwave it to warm temp. I call it "catfood soup". Needless to say she pees a lot as a result but that's good.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I feel like I haven't been really frugal lately, but I have done ok.

1. Ate from the garden. I've been harvesting tomatoes, peppers, green beans, basil, cukes and lettuce. Also, I've been using garlic from this year's harvest (have just used up last year's harvest, so my planning was perfect).
2. Had a friend over for breakfast instead of going out somewhere. I made fried eggs and bacon, served with bacon cheddar scones that DH gets for free from his job (day old, would be thrown away), orange juice ($.90 from concentrate), and coffee (from salvage grocery store $2.50/lb).
3. Packed lunches for our jobs each day we worked.
4. Received lots of free seconds produce from the farm I work at: cukes, melons, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant.
5. Paid off a medical debt from when I was sick last year. Just one more to go!
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

1. Bought groceries and cooked instead of eating out while on my trip

2. Stayed at my brother's house rather than at a hotel while there

3. Stocked up on my favorite shampoo while there as it was on sale

4. Stopped at outlet on my way through Denver to buy DD the running shorts she needs for PE. They were on clearance for 60% off already reduced prices. 2 pair for $23 at Under Armour. Also got DS's football socks there on sale for $5. What I'm most proud of is that I didn't buy anything else, just what we needed.

5. Refrained from killing my spouse and children when I can home to a filthy house, saving a fortune on funeral expenses and legal fees. :twisted:
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

LWolfT, I'm sorry the Aldi bath tissue didn't pass the ultimate test. There's nothing like a delicate man tushie for killing off a bargain. :-D

Five frugal things for us:
1. Went grocery shopping yesterday and used $9 worth of coupons. Food Lion lately has had some very useful coupons for store brands, including staples like produce, rice, and peanut butter.
2. DH cancelled his monthly membership to yoga classes and is working out at home.
3. The online store from which I was ordering Littlest Dachshund's hypoallergenic canned food stopped carrying it, so I decided to try just giving her some canned salmon with her fish-based dry food instead.
4. Sold a DVD set to Amazon and used that money to buy pet supplies.
5. Got the guys to agree to setting the room temp on the air conditioning higher so that the house still stays cool but the A/C doesn't kick on very often.
Mackie