Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by frugalmom »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 am I sure hope this job works out for you frugalmom.
Thanks I hope so too-but it is temporary only for 6 months. However, they have not called me yet-the girl who I am replacing called me and said the supervisor will get my online app from HR but it has to go through HR first and she has no access and cannot see any of my info yet. They said I have to wait at least a week...so we will see,hopefully, she will like me. But I can tell when the person I am replacing was asking me questions she is wondering why I am going to do her job when I can earn so much more in my own field. At this point, I am just doing anything I can get-I keep hearing Dave Ramsey saying pizza delivery even to bring in the money! I am kind of getting excited though bc I like working actually as it keeps me busy-maybe not on the floor as I used to bc I cannot physically move people anymore.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Frugal five

1) free used coffee grounds for my garden
2) free cardboard boxes for the garden
3) used concrete blocks I found around the yard and collected to create a dirt barrier.
4) stuff on good sales, cabbage, asparagus, strawberries, grapes and little flowers
5) walked to the produce stand and to the bank. Exercise and no gas waste.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 am Frugal five

1) free used coffee grounds for my garden
2) free cardboard boxes for the garden
3) used concrete blocks I found around the yard and collected to create a dirt barrier.
4) stuff on good sales, cabbage, asparagus, strawberries, grapes and little flowers
5) walked to the produce stand and to the bank. Exercise and no gas waste.
:D Good job! Note that Costco has plenty of free boxes and cardboards-I use them to cover tires in the hot sun,projects for the kids, to hold items to haul to tournaments or hold bags of potatoes or onions so it does not mess up my carpeted garage floor.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

A few things this past week:
1. Won Monopoly game piece for instant winner of donut or bagel.

2. Got free passes to museums in SF for kids on spring break-sightseeing as free as possible. Using Dave and Buster's gift card for the kid's fun when we go see the museums tomorrow. It will be a day out and our vacation for one day for the entire spring break!

3. Called water bill to ask how come exact same amount used and paid for the previous year-are they just estimating and not actually measuring (they say they are) esp since two people left the house so should be using less!? As I was asking, asked them if they have a program to help those in need like the electric and gas companies-unfortunately no. but it did not hurt to ask?! Then I went line by line items on my bills to see if anywhere else I could ask since electric/gas saved me over 50.00 on that program! I always check on occasion-almost every month where else can I cut! But unfortunately as I cut on the little bills, the bigger bills come in and are even hiked even more-car insurance and house insurance up-it is like you can never get ahead-sheesh!

4. Using up my pantry sauces like last night made tikki masala (it was expired a bit but tried it and it was still good-and dd loves tikki masala). Note one bottle was not enough really but all I had so I extended it with a bit of half and half(you can add cream to this dish) and shook it and poured it on top and mixed in.

5.Looking and joined new facebook groups that swap and barter and finding freebies to furnish dd's apartment in the fall-starting now to collect. Saved another 1000.00 in cash for her upcoming fall tuition and apt rental/deposit(I think estimating about 5000.00 to come up with by Aug/Sept for first payments for her-which timing is terrible bc hat means I cannot really save for my son's wedding! He knows I don't have it and they are paying for it and her mom is giving them most of it-at first over 20-25k and now even more I think-she is inviting over 200 people or so and I am just inviting family). Her parents are very nice and understand bc they know we have two kids in college and that we are not working. BUT I still feel bad even though I raised them and told them from when they were young I help them with college education but weddings are on them-and usually I surprise them with a gift of 5k at the very least at the end(this is to assure they are careful with their money to begin with and not go crazy on the wedding) but this year I do not know if I can even do that!?

6. Used soft chicken taco meat for burritos another day. Using up my big maxi pack packages up when the kids are home from spring break! I am eyeing that turkey too from Thanksgiving sale of .29/lb!

7. Gathering all the pens, pencils and markers, etc to see which ones still work and putting in a bin(we have many bins) to save for the future so we are good in school supplies. Got another two free promotional pens today at the dentist office and I love those pens-best ever!

8. Spoke with a basketball trainer and he offered us a discounted rate (personal to almost as much as group training) but we like group training anyway which is much more affordable so only til he gets his groove back after the broken hand/wrist! Got the person an interview with my son-the principal too bc he is a teacher too and we are always looking for good,decent people. I like it that he says prayers before and after practice even! So win-win. I did tell him I feel you should get paid what you are worth and I appreciate the discount after he found out about our story,but we will just do group training and pay you the going r ate. I already feel b ad enough I got the basketball team to give us a scholarship-will pay that back as well as soon as I get any money in-I know they work hard and I am grateful that they are even giving it to us,but I know they have families to support as well!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. You have been busy frugalmom.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I have five frugal now.
1) fixed 2 pairs of hubs shorts. They were too loose on him since he lost weight.
2) made more toilet paper tube seed starter pots.
3) finished a new flower/vegetable bed
4) saved shower water for my garden
5) hooked up my irrigation line.