Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by Dgflorida »

My five frugal are:
1) discounted salmon, $2 off. It was ok, not bad, but not fresh either. Hubs liked it.

2) reused the dehumidifier bucket with screen lid to remove compost from the mulch. This composted stuff can go with the store bought soil and extend it, saving money. The mulch was free. :)

3) Made new garden pots out of empty kitty litter jugs. Filled them with composted mulch.

4) cleaned grease out of my kitchen water catcher using toilet paper. Cheaper and more effective than paper towels.

5) the frugal things I do every week. Turn off coffee pot after second cup. Residual heat keeps it warm for the rest of the pot. Same thing with breakfast skillet. Turn it off when the eggs whites solidify. Turn the eggs over and let the residual heat cook them the rest of the way.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

1. Planned my grocery shopping to the nth degree. Saved about 15% at Save A Lot using coupons and nearly 50% at the "regular" grocery store by shopping sales and combining them with coupons.

2. Turning on the heat very rarely and using it very sparingly.

3. All laundry in cold water (hanging to dry is a given - no dryer).

4. Watching Hulu ($5.99 per month) and reading free magazines for entertainment.

5. Completed a lot of surveys, etc. recently to earn free gift cards, etc. I have almost $40 on my Amazon gift card account - that will really help with my "no cost to me" Christmas plans.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I'm digging for 5 frugal things, funny thing is I know I've done lots.

1- Last week, I cleaned & organized 1 shelf in my bedroom closet, found lotion/body spray sets I'll use as gifts. Also found LOTS of my fave body scent including bubble bath; found my Christmas shirts too.
2- In my closet cleaning, I found an old nursing nightie that I disliked but will make a lovely repurposed nightie for dd6 as it was barely worn.
3- Have been giving meat juices and scraps to kitties to extend their food supply, they like it, and my girls think its fun too.
4- Washed laundry in cold water & with either 2 tsp Norwex detergent (mine, girls), or with 2 small scoops (boys, dh -- each scoop is 5 tsp) regular detergent.
5- Bought milk at sale price, $0.99/half gallon if you bought 10 -- it equals to 5 gallons at $1.98 each, normal price of gallon milk is $2.79 so a definite savings.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

1. Put more stuff on sale on Poshmark. In fact, was decluttering clothes and going to donate to the Goodwill and I am thinking hmmm...why don't sell these too? Bring in money is my concentration now as well as saving money. My son is better at it than me as he knows what will be the newest trend or if he likes something he makes it into a trend in his school! Idk how he does that. But he just bought Supreme stickers(I never even heard of it but apparently it is a designer I guess) and he bought the whole package for 5.00 and it has 5-6 stickers I think he said and he is selling each sticker for 6.00! He already has a line of people waiting to get it so he is getting more!

2. Made shortribs in a yummy gravy sauce(Italian? Had tomatoes in it and mushrooms,carrots and celery. And so leftovers with a couple of ribs left I shredded and made a ragu type with fettucine and used the sauce the ribs were cooked in. It was all from scratch too-not using anything packaged sauce or canned sauce and it just tasted so good. Then the next day made orchiette pasta with leftover two sausages left frozen mixed with ground beef and tomorrow will make a pasta fajioli soup from the leftovers.I used to make biscuits and they were mostly gone in one sitting and now we stretch it over three meals bc we only have three eating! So had to make lunch sandwiches with the biscuits too(stuck chicken tenders in it).

3. Three bananas into banana bread. Saved tea bags from hotels and used that to make iced tea.

4. Using up shampoo and conditioner from hotels that my brother or mother gave us and even stretching that with water.Navy showers.

5. Really nice that I canceled my phone bc it is so quiet-no robocalls, scammers or spammers calling me and enjoying the peace actually!

6. Bought spinach for .50 a big bag bc 2.00 coupon on each bag! So salads and green smoothies! Bought a couple of big bags. Oh and I can make pakora (spinach,potato with onion into fritters).
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. Lots of good ideas for frugal saving here. I need to plan to do more of these things.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My five for the week.

1) walked to drug store, saved car gas
2) walked to vegetable stand, saved gas
3) opened and used more hurricane supplies
4) started lettuce, onions from bottoms. They are growing well.
5) went to talk and got coupon for free water/rain barrel.