How many of US from About.com's original frugal living forum are still here?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BevMoore

Re: How many of US from About.com's original frugal living forum are still here?

Post by BevMoore »

Yeah Smallshark was the one from Canada I was talking about. Randamax has a blog that you can follow her on. I should go check and see when she last posted. Prairie Floozie has not shown up since we moved :(. The one with LFO and LFO2 hasn't posted either. I think her little ones keep her running. I hope she will find time to come back. I think her name on About was MEGS411 or something like that.

Bev
frugalmom

Re: How many of US from About.com's original frugal living forum are still here?

Post by frugalmom »

BevMoore wrote:I think the person you might be talking about was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. She was still posting for a time after that. They lived in one of those FEMA trailers for awhile and were hanging on. I don't remember what her name was here...I think it was Lady something. At any rate she went over to the Dollar Stretcher site when Pat did. She goes by the name of Brandy on there. Pat left there some time ago but Brandy is still there running the site I believe.

One person I miss is Tyger. He used to post on FL a lot. At the beginning he was just recovering from a relationship with a boyfriend he had for awhile. They split up and it took him a while to recover financially from that. But during the time he was posting I don't think he was in a relationship.

Rossco I believe posts on the Delphi site Oh Jodi started when we got rumblings that About was going to dump us. She uses a different name there but the writing style is crystal clear. Occasionally someone will respond but most of the time it is pretty dead over there.

D Maciolek (now goes by Donna Hensch) is still living in the Mt. Shasta area. Her husband, who had health problems for a long time passed away about 5 years ago. She supports herself doing freelance writing and in the past couple of years has gotten into rockhounding and is making some money off of that. Both of her boys are grown but I think they still live with her. She is considering selling her place because in recent years that whole area has gone from being practically worthless desert property to becoming a haven for marijuana growers. Pot farmers have been buying up properties all around her and I think she is getting a little nervous about it all. She isn't rushing to move but I think she is taking her time checking out other areas.

Bev
Oh YES, I MISS Tyger and Donna! If you both are out there give us a shout out! Loved both of them and my heart broke when Donna's husband died-hope she is doing well.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

delighted99 wrote:I'm here. I'd post a longer update but I really don't have too much time. I'm about to go put my son to bed. Great to see you posting, Ellen.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote:I miss SmallShark (the skater from Canada), PrairieFloozie, and RandaMax. And the lady who referred to her kids as LFO and LFO2, she was funny.
Oh yes remembered and miss them too! Loved Prarie Floozie and Smallshark(who was very intelligent-scientist?). What does LFO stand for?
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

BevMoore wrote:I remember Rubekkah. A long time ago when Pat was moderator she started cracking down on some of the drama that was occurring. Many members got mad and migrated over to a site one of the ladies started then. Rubekkah was one of those who went over there. That site flourished for a long time along with another site called Isle of Whack. Eventually Isle of Whack died out probably due to Facebook. The site is still there but not much activity. The other site was called Living Frugally. The moderator who eventually took over that ran it for a few years but she subsequently passed away from Crohns Disease. Again the site is still there but I don't think anyone is running it.

Another popular site was No More Debt which was started by a group of Dave Ramsey followers. It was a great site and very popular. Sue (Everfrugal) ended up taking that on as the moderator and she did a great job! Sadly she passed away from cancer a few years ago. The site was still active but eventually it was decided to take it over to Facebook. People do post there but it is just not the same as it was when it was its own entity on Delphi.

Another poster on About was Alex aka Skating Alex (on the Delphi site). Drama always seemed to follow her where ever she went. I don't know what happened to her.

There was another lady on about who skated a lot. So much that she never had to worry about weight gain. She lived in a very small apartment in Canada. Her job did not pay that well so it seemed like she struggled financially. She was vegan and had some good tips on a vegan lifestyle.

Beckwoman was another poster I really admired. She lived in Colorado and was very spunky. She was a master at frugal living. Her DH passed away and that seemed to take the spark out of her. She did move to a mountain cabin and was adjusting to the cold winters up there but her family worried about her. I think at some point she did remarry but I don't know what happened to her after that.

Wow a lot of history there. yup I have been around for a long time, since the 1990's.
Bev
Wow how did you know where people went to another site? I never heard of these sites except apparently a mystery one that I was supposed to be a part of-like lol I had no clue until someone mentioned on FL forum and I think I said what are you talking about!? Lol-that was funny and a bit weird! I remember Beckwoman too- liked her a lot-like you learned from her and Marcia (and you too)-like the wise ones
that pass down the frugal living ways to us!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Oh I am enjoying this trip down memory lane! Keep them coming!