No-Cost Simplifying, Short Cuts, Time Savers

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
11cats2beagles

No-Cost Simplifying, Short Cuts, Time Savers

Post by 11cats2beagles »

All the cleaning, organizing, sorting I did last week has me thinking that I need to find ways to simplify things for myself even more. I have decided to make things more simple in a couple of areas:

1. I am going to stop wearing nail polish - starting today. I wear my nails short-ish anyway and will just buff and shine them. Goes with everything, no worries about chipped polish, and what a time saver! I have never really enjoyed polishing my nails and waiting for them to dry - so yay!!

2. We have already stopped folding everyone's underwear and socks - they just go from the dryer to the top dresser drawers. On that same note, the kids each have their own color of underwear - gray for one and blue for the other and S.O. buys them just one kind of socks - so no matching up is required.

3. The boys are supposed to change into play clothes after school but the babysitter can't seem to make that happen in the hour before I get home from work - so okay. When winter comes and it is dark so early and we don't go anywhere after school/work, we are going to start having them shower right after I get home from work, while dinner is being prepared, and change from their school outfits right into pajamas. This will eliminate yet a third change of clothes for them and save us the after-dinner rush to get that stuff done before bed and eliminate some laundry. I usually put my pajamas on after work anyway.

What short cuts do you take to save time and buy yourself some more free time? I'm looking for more ideas! :-)
clemencia2us

Re: No-Cost Simplifying, Short Cuts, Time Savers

Post by clemencia2us »

I use clear polish. I can't maintain painted nail, so I just use clear.

My hair is ultra short now and gray. Everyone says it looks great. I had it trimmed last week and she did a terrific job. Very easy to maintain. Stopped using most makeup. Mascara was making my eyes water. I just use loose powder and bright red lipstick.
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

Shelia be careful about buffing your nails too much. Overbuffiing them can make them thin.
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

Now that it is cooler. I am planning to do more batch cooking for my husband's lunches. I will freeze the majority of them. It will save me a bunch of time and he will have hot lunches to eat.
nbeaver

Post by nbeaver »

This is not a new idea, but it does save me quite a bit of time: when I'm cooking a main dish, I often double or triple the recipe and freeze extras. Then when I'm short on time, I can just pull something out of the freezer and stick it in the oven. I do the same thing with cookie dough: double the recipe, then divide the dough into thirds, one for baking at the time, and the other two for freezing for fresh, hot cookies later with no time involved. I've also given some of those frozen, ready-to-go meals as gifts.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

When DH was alive I washed a couple loads of clothes a week, now I only wash every two weeks and sometimes it's every three. You couldn't do this if you have kids.

I have several sets of sheets for my bed so I wash two sets when I wash. Same with towels. I have a full load when I wash.

With only one person sleeping in the bed, on the off week I turn the sheets around on the side that isn't slept on. I always get into the bed clean after taking a shower and it's only slept in 7 times. I change the pillow cases weekly, but that is just me. I sleep surrounded in pillows and I like them smelling nice and fresh. The sheets smell fresh too after I turn them, but its habit I guess on the pillowcases, not a necessity.

I use very few washcloths as I shower with a bath poof and I use Facial wipes to remove my makeup. When I wash my face with water I use a hand towel and just pat the water dry. I can use it a week using both ends and the sides then the middle without a spot being used on the towel but once.

I use to wash a piece of clothing after every wear, but I have learned if you will hang things when you take them off they don't need washing every time. Now if you get them sweaty that is a different story, but I don't do a whole lot anymore that makes me sweaty. LOL

My dishcloth and drying towel in the kitchen I soak overnight in bleach water. It not only cleans those, but it keeps my stainless steel sink sparkling with little elbow grease. Undies, bras and light weight tops I hand wash and hang outside on my little wooden clothes dryer.Saves water, detergent and electricity. I use sponges for cleaning, not crazy about cleaning rags.

By pulling off my shoes when I come from the garage into the house I bring very little dirt into my house. I have no pets, and I can get away with vacuuming once a week instead of every day. I only have to sweep my kitchen a couple times a week and mop once, on Fridays. I have also learned by changing my filter for the heating/ac unit monthly that the dust is almost minimal in the house, therefore I only dust once a week. Leaves me more time for goofing off.

I also have a large garbage can by the back door in the garage and when I pick up my mail, I toss everything except important stuff into the trash before I ever come inside. That has stopped so much clutter from ever coming into my house.