Old House

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Old House

Post by MackerelCat »

Check the roof material. It may look like gray slate but actually be a manufactured asbestos product popular around WWII. It was designed to last 50 years, so people liked it, but it costs tens of thousands of dollars to remove.

Asbestos was also used to wrap pipes. The material looks like a plaster bandage, but the material inside is friable asbestos.
Mackie
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

colonialgirl wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:10 am You are welcome Dreamer. I am looking forward to seeing how you proceed on this journey with your finely honed frugal skills. I hope you will not be too tired from remodeling to blog!
Thank you, colonial! I will do my best. :)
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 am Check the roof material. It may look like gray slate but actually be a manufactured asbestos product popular around WWII. It was designed to last 50 years, so people liked it, but it costs tens of thousands of dollars to remove.

Asbestos was also used to wrap pipes. The material looks like a plaster bandage, but the material inside is friable asbestos.
Ooh. Thank you. I didn't think of that. :shock:
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com