Daily Check in Oct. 12, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Oct. 12, 2017

Post by alliesmama4 »

LWolfT wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 pm Good ... noon!
Chilly and drizzly again today. Still looks like frost won't be an issue until near the end of the month, though. (Not bad if I get a couple extra weeks out of the garden.)

Couple of calls for home maintenance stuff ... Got a load of laundry going. Do have some kitchen work to deal with. Aiming to get my apple butter set up in the crock pot.

My project to make living room curtains/valance hasn't worked out. I was still a bit off on length :evil: ... and the material is just too light in weight and color to look good. So, Plan C. I have a set of valances that I can use ... though I do need to adjust the rod pocket. Has to look better than what I've got ;)

Don't know Clem ... I found that a job just makes me procastinate more on doing stuff around the house. But perhaps having that structure will work better for you.

Janet ... you'll be 83 in 10 years with or without a dog in your life. Personally, I think you'd enjoy the company. But do you have the energy to take care of a dog full-time? Do you have the $ to spare for food/vet care? Would your friend be willing to help out a bit with $, at least for a while?
Wolf thanks for your in-put.. I have started a check list for costs.. Do not think the lady will give me any help since the dog belongs to her DD and she will be getting minimal income going in to the navy. My biggest concern is taking care of him.. He really is well behaved and has adapted well to my needs the longer he stays here. When I got Allie I was in worse shape then than I am now.. I know she motivated me to get going more to take care of her needs.. My current aide loves him too and sees what a little sweetheart he really is. She just told me this afternoon that if it comes to the point that I cannot take care of him she knows her DD would love to have him. I just feel so sorry for him. He has always shown a preference towards me over his Nana and I would hate to see him be passed around anymore. It is not fair to him. He has feelings too. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm Janet- Are you enjoying babysitting your friend’s dog? If so, and it is not too much of a financial burden, I think you may enjoy having a fur baby around. I enjoy my fur babies- 2 cats and 2 rabbits.
It has been awhile since I posted on the daily check in. I came down with a horrible cold which then became bronchitis, so just getting through the work day was exhausting- feeling much better now. Work seems to be going well, at least for now.
I have managed to keep the house clean and meals from home, even when not feeling well. I hope everyone has a wonderful evening.
Sorry you have been so ill. Hope your start to feel much, much better soon.

I am enjoying Teddi very much.. I use to have a rabbit.. Ginger Bunny. She was a hoot.. When I was a traveling therapist she went with me. It was nice to come home to furry friend at night. Ginger was all personalty. I hope if you have girl bunnies that you have had them neutered? I did not have Ginger neutered since she was an inside bunny and she developed breast cancer due to the hormones. She had to have a mastectomy the tumor was huge. Then she had her hysterectomy.. About a year later the cancer had spread to her throat and she had to be put to sleep.. I had to call off when she was nuetuerd since she was not eating and the vet said if she did not start to eat that her system would shut down and she would die. He wanted me to bring her in for IV's if I could not get her to eat. She finally did. When I returned to work the big boss said.." I hear you called off Friday due to illness in your family." I said " yes it was my rabbit" .lol. He said."Did you take paid time off?" " Of course not." We were allowed paid time off for a sick relative. He said, " well you should take paid time off." I said, " She is a RABBIT!" He said, " I know but she is still family and you have done a lot for this company." I said, " I cannot do that" He said." I am your boss and we can do that" I was very lucky to work for such a kind and caring boss.. I miss Ginger Bunny and Allie..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 pmI would hate to see him be passed around anymore. It is not fair to him. He has feelings too.
That's part of the reason I could never rehome a dog once it's here. Not that I wasn't tempted... ;) our beast RAN onto my couch the 2nd day she was here, made a U-turn off the back of it like she was in the Indianapolis 500...

The dog was from an unwanted mutt litter of TEN. They were dropped at the city animal shelter, spayed & neutered and put up for adoption. She was fostered out to a lady who no sooner got her then went on vacation, leaving her with her sons at their apartment. Then she was adopted out to a family with a newborn (what were they thinking?) and brought back, fostered out AGAIN to the same lady... Nice lady, but all that back and forth...

We took her from the foster house, brought her home, and I told her, "You're home. We're never leaving you."

Even kenneling her for a day or 10 kills me, and that kennel is SWEET; they let them play outside with other dogs of approx the same size & temperament, it's heated, air conditioned, she has her own bed, there's a vet 24/7. And still, I tell her: We're coming back for you. See? Told you we'd be back...

I know talking to her like that probably doesn't help her, but it makes me feel better. A little. And she's not even 'my' dog. She's DH and the kids' dog, they promised to feed, walk, bathe, clean up after... take care of her, etc. You know who does most of that? Yeah. Me.

I think Teddy is your dog. You'll be great friends. :D
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Evening All,

I think all the resting I did last weekend was a big help and I have been going to bed early every night and feeling much better.

Today was a work conference in the "city" about an hour away. In addition to free breakfast, snacks, lunch, many give-away items and some good knowledge gained, I won $50 and a bottle of wine. I NEVER gamble - NEVER - but there was some "peer pressure" to participate in the 50/50 drawing - so I did - and was SHOCKED when I won! I am going to put the money away in my long term savings - I won't miss what I've only had for a few hours, lol. Plus, my boss drove - she gets car sick if she isn't the one driving - so no wear and tear on my car.

It's downright cold here mornings and nights - the daytime in between is nice though. I am still enjoying sleeping with the windows open - I just wear warm pajamas and pile on the sheets and blankets. Every window in my house has been open since April (screens in place) - I love having the fresh air all the time - but I know it will soon be time to close them up for a few months.

Well friends, sleep is calling me LOUDLY - so I am off. Everyone take care. Janet, enjoy that new dog!

S
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Hi Everyone,

Late check-in for me. Busy, busy day. Had PT, had to go to the bank, did my grocery shopping, and finished thank-you-notes to everyone for their kindness during the accident. First day of driving the car by myself and did just fine.

Weather has turned off really cool and I had to turn on the heat to warm up the house. I just can't function when I'm not hot enough or cool enough. I would scrimp somewhere else if I had to so I can be comfortable.

I am beginning to feel like I am back in control of my life and it's a great feeling. I can't tell all of you enough to think before you do something that might cause you to hurt yourself. I will never take chances again. I've never liked to ask for help, but from now on I will be making a to-do list for my son-in-law for him to do once a month for me. He has offered and I am going to take him up on it. If he can't get to it then I will find a handyman to do the work. Not worth the pain and cost that an accident causes.

Can't say enough about the convenience of being able to order my groceries on line and pick them up. It's simply wonderful.

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening and Shelia congratulations to you. Janet, you are the one who will have to take care of that sweet puppy so the decision is yours. I almost let myself get talked into one, but I know that I don't want the responsibility at my age. Vet bills are so expensive and I guess it might be selfish of me, but I want to be able to pick up and go on a whim and I can pay for half a trip for what a kennel would cost me. They are a lot of company without a doubt, but also a lot of work. I couldn't have handled a pet the last 6 weeks alone.

Off to work on a knitting project and watch another episode of The Crown.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 pmI would hate to see him be passed around anymore. It is not fair to him. He has feelings too.
That's part of the reason I could never rehome a dog once it's here. Not that I wasn't tempted... ;) our beast RAN onto my couch the 2nd day she was here, made a U-turn off the back of it like she was in the Indianapolis 500...

The dog was from an unwanted mutt litter of TEN. They were dropped at the city animal shelter, spayed & neutered and put up for adoption. She was fostered out to a lady who no sooner got her then went on vacation, leaving her with her sons at their apartment. Then she was adopted out to a family with a newborn (what were they thinking?) and brought back, fostered out AGAIN to the same lady... Nice lady, but all that back and forth...

We took her from the foster house, brought her home, and I told her, "You're home. We're never leaving you."

Even kenneling her for a day or 10 kills me, and that kennel is SWEET; they let them play outside with other dogs of approx the same size & temperament, it's heated, air conditioned, she has her own bed, there's a vet 24/7. And still, I tell her: We're coming back for you. See? Told you we'd be back...

I know talking to her like that probably doesn't help her, but it makes me feel better. A little. And she's not even 'my' dog. She's DH and the kids' dog, they promised to feed, walk, bathe, clean up after... take care of her, etc. You know who does most of that? Yeah. Me.

I think Teddy is your dog. You'll be great friends. :D
Sandi I feel sorry for your dog's past history. People just do not realize that pets are not stuffed toys. They have likes and dislikes and feelings..Glad you have given your fur baby a forever home.. Teddi and I are already great friends and I just want the best for him.. So I am going to be his new Mama. Thanks for sharing your story.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama