Can you freeze...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
swtnsassy1

Can you freeze...

Post by swtnsassy1 »

I am sure someone can answer this....can you freeze cooked cubed potatoes? I know you can freeze them, but does it "work"? I absolutely HATE peeling potatoes so I usually buy a 10 lb bag and peel most of them at one time. (get it done and over with). I then cook them and make mashed potatoes and freeze those. I have several recipes that calls for cubed potatoes so I was just wondering if I can cook the whole 10 lb and freeze some of them cubed rather than mashed.

TIA!
littlemiss63

Re: Can you freeze...

Post by littlemiss63 »

I do it all the time. I don't like them to make potato salad, but casseroles, potato soups, hash browns, etc they are great. I prepare part of mine as mashed potatoes, use a 1/2 cup and portion into muffin tins to freeze. Works great for me.
swtnsassy1

Post by swtnsassy1 »

Thank you Littlemiss. I was fairly sure you could but have just never tried it. I wasn't even thinking of potato salad LOL I can't imagine they would work well in that,
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

My short answer is YES!

My long answer is Yes, but don't leave them in the freezer more than 2-3 months if possible as they will go mushy when thawed (as I discovered when eating Mom's stews/soups as a child, ick). If you need to freeze them longer, then perhaps cook them partially, or even not at all, before you freeze them.