Swedish death cleaning

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ShellyinCO

Swedish death cleaning

Post by ShellyinCO »

I saw this pop up on my news-a new book coming out.Wonderful idea for decluttering. I know many of us struggle with clutter and reasons to get rid of stuff.Just reading the article has given me some impetus to pare down things.
Shelly in CO
floridacatlover

Re: Swedish death cleaning

Post by floridacatlover »

I saw this story in the Washington Post but haven’t read it yet. I’ll check it out.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I read about it on the TreeHugger Site and enjoyed reading the pros and cons in the comments.

I am not a minimalist, and the things I have in my house I enjoy. If my children don't want any of my things once I'm gone they can have someone come in and haul all of it off. They don't have any time or money invested in what I own and when it's being left to them free and clear I don't see why they should be upset if it takes some of their time to decide to have it hauled to the dump or have an estate sale.

This may sound like a selfish attitude, but it's just something about telling another person that they need to get rid of their stuff before it becomes a problem for them. I wouldn't have dreamed of telling my Mother that she couldn't have the things surrounding her that made her days here on earth satisfying. Yes, it took a week or so to clean out the house when she died, but considering what my parents did for me in their lifetimes that was a very small price to pay.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I am with you Little Miss. I am far from a hoarder, but I have things - beautiful things I think and they are organized and clean. I do declutter because clutter will build in any household. But if I want to keep formal dishes and silver or have colored towels and shower curtains for every season, what is it to anyone else? I enjoy them - isn't that all that is necessary?

I am really sick of being made to feel like there is something wrong with you if you choose to have possessions. As far as minimalism is concerned for me, if I had wanted to join a cloister I would have done so. If that is someone's thing - more power to them. But it doesn't mean their way is the right way.

And to whomever inherits my things - then do as you will, but I am not living my life to save someone a week's work cleaning out my house.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I don' t think this is aimed at people in their 60s or 70s.

In another forum I follow, the retirees are not the ones being told to get rid of stuff. They are the ones talking about having to help their parents clear their homesteads.

So people in their 60s and 70s are trying to help parents in their late 80s and 90s - so y'all have quite a long time to enjoy your collections.

:D
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm I don' t think this is aimed at people in their 60s or 70s.

In another forum I follow, the retirees are not the ones being told to get rid of stuff. They are the ones talking about having to help their parents clear their homesteads.

So people in their 60s and 70s are trying to help parents in their late 80s and 90s - so y'all have quite a long time to enjoy your collections.

:D
Hey Clem,

They might as well not be talking about me, my daughter and I have already had this conversation about my dish addiction. I told her if she wants to sell Waterford Crystal and name brand china for $.25 cents a stem and plate to go for it, but if I were her I think I would go to the trouble of having an estate auctioneer come in and take a look first. My son said he would take care of it, to tell her not to do a thing until he got here. LOL