Swedish death cleaning

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Swedish death cleaning

Post by Dgflorida »

I did a lot of reduction when we moved from the 1800 plus garage(250 more) to 1300 sq ft house, no garage. I plan to reduce more. I found less stuff was easier to manage. And cleaning is much easier. But I am not under pressure, so I do it a little at a time. I am sure my kids don't want most of this stuff. I forced a couple of things on my married son. But the rest, not necessary. We took all the pictures and family history and put it on computer. So that clutter is gone. Over the years, I have gotten many awards for charity volunteer work. Most are those paper awards. They are going away. I have 3 wooden ones that I am keeping. Hubs is doing the same. Yes, little things, but less clutter. Less dusting. Also doing some repurposing. That is a good thing. But I don't like the term death cleaning.
swtnsassy1

Post by swtnsassy1 »

Littlemiss, like you I have some very nice glassware such as Watertford Crystal, Lladro figurines, several nice pieces of Lalique and hand painted Noritake China. I am going to keep these items and use them and enjoy until the day they plant me. What my family does with it once I am dead and gone, I don't care.

However, I have tried to stress to them that as long as we keep them in mint condition, they could have value.

littlemiss63 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm
clemencia2us wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm I don' t think this is aimed at people in their 60s or 70s.

In another forum I follow, the retirees are not the ones being told to get rid of stuff. They are the ones talking about having to help their parents clear their homesteads.

So people in their 60s and 70s are trying to help parents in their late 80s and 90s - so y'all have quite a long time to enjoy your collections.

:D
Hey Clem,

They might as well not be talking about me, my daughter and I have already had this conversation about my dish addiction. I told her if she wants to sell Waterford Crystal and name brand china for $.25 cents a stem and plate to go for it, but if I were her I think I would go to the trouble of having an estate auctioneer come in and take a look first. My son said he would take care of it, to tell her not to do a thing until he got here. LOL
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am I did a lot of reduction when we moved from the 1800 plus garage(250 more) to 1300 sq ft house, no garage. I plan to reduce more. I found less stuff was easier to manage. And cleaning is much easier. But I am not under pressure, so I do it a little at a time. I am sure my kids don't want most of this stuff. I forced a couple of things on my married son. But the rest, not necessary. We took all the pictures and family history and put it on computer. So that clutter is gone. Over the years, I have gotten many awards for charity volunteer work. Most are those paper awards. They are going away. I have 3 wooden ones that I am keeping. Hubs is doing the same. Yes, little things, but less clutter. Less dusting. Also doing some repurposing. That is a good thing. But I don't like the term death cleaning.
oh yes - I love getting rid of stuff! I know it might be strange to some of y'all but the thought of just being able to take off with a couple of bags in my possession and that is all sounds wonderful to me.

I too have put lots of old family pics on the cloud. My way of saving them. One of my siblings told me yesterday that she "finally" found some old paperwork that belonged to my grandmother. "found" -what the heck is the use of having things if you don't know where they are? She also lost my mom's rings too. Kind of irritated, but what can you do? Just let it go.