Daily Check in Nov 9, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Nov 9, 2017

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,
Florida, So sorry about your Mom, prayers for fast healing going out for her. Penny and LittleMiss, glad you got in the forum.

Last night went to a dinner meeting of the Project Management institute. The speaker talked of Women in IT and how to get and keep females in the industry. Right now the focus is on keeping girls interested in STEM into high school. My experience has been with teams who expected me to eat, sleep and breathe technology and look at my like I have three heads when I say "If I am going to go home and cuss over a little machine, I'd rather it be my sewing machine rather than my computer." Anyways it is a big issue.

It should be a quiet night tonight. DS is leaving school at 12:30 to drive to Indianapolis for a percussion convention. He has a list of equipment to buy for himself and the school band.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Nov 9, 2017

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Well, today will be an adventure. We are using comfort care which is provided by our insurance for travel to doctor appointments. However, I am not sure we are going to the right place. But hubs insists this handwritten note by the emergency room ophthalmologist is the one we should go by. I am not going to back track on it and I wasn't there. See where we end up. :roll: Hubs eye looks much better. The front of the eye was swollen out and it looked like a fish eye from the side. It seems more normal, more flat now. But write off the entire afternoon with sitting in a doctor's office. Ugh.

I am enrolled in medical insurance for next year. That is such a slow, tiring process. I so dread it. I have changed to hubs insurance plan. I have had a plan the last two years that covered me when I traveled throughout the US. I don't plan to travel, so no reason to keep the extra coverage or premium cost.

I also am reducing my dental coverage. I am not using it and it is not cost justified. However, I have to call the company directly to discontinue it.

I am sorry to hear that some are feeling poorly or have family feeling poorly. Glad you went to the better hospital, Florida. I know what you are talking about. Gayle, I hope you get better. Heal well, Penny. Thank you miss for your thoughts about my hubs eye. Mack take care. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Hubs got some blood test results yesterday and freaked out. He read into the several slightly high results that he is a walking heart attack victim. So he was urgent that I should learn how to handle the computer. We discussed it. Meanwhile the doctor called back and said the results were not significant. :roll:

I am trying to make substitution sausage for breakfast. Dollar store didn't have any turkey bacon, so I thawed a bit of ground beef and seasoned it to mix in with the breakfast eggs. Not bad, but needs a bit more pepper. I calculated that the ground beef was a tad cheaper than turkey bacon, so it is a frugal alternative. I walked to the nearby vegetable stand and got some asparagus, cucumbers and avocados. The price was a bit cheaper than the grocery stores. The cucumbers are not low carb, but I like them a lot, so I had them instead of low carb ice cream.

I did a light cardio workout at the gym yesterday. I didn't want to sweat and risk it getting in my recently shot mac eye. I would like to start walking to the gym, but with hubs every 2 hour med eye drops, I can't get there and back in that time frame. Frustrating. My weight is down another pound according to the gym scale. Low carb is amazing. Unfortunately, kitty is up a pound according to the vet tech. "sigh"

This morning, I plan to go to Home Depot and order my new front door. The old one will not seal properly. I have tried. I also plan to get a new front window, but I will get it after the door is done. The door plus installation will be about $1000. That is enough for one month. The hurricane tree removal was $3000. unplanned. Got to keep these costs under some control. I will use my $5 off garden coupon as well. I have a coupon for bulk foods to use within the next week. $2 off $10. That will be easy to get. They have some good stuff.

Well, off to get breakfast and start my day. Good day all.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Been up for awhile now staring at the wall of thick fog out the front window. Hard to believe that we have fog that thick on a cold winters day.

I spent my coffee time paying bills online this morning and adding another payee. This one will only need to be paid once a year however as it is our house insurance. Now it is time to visit with all of you while I wait for hopefully the call from my brother this morning. Then it will be out and about getting some errands accomplished. Busy, but not too busy I hope.

Frugality wise I have made my small grocery list, and gotten some coupons printed out. Sticking to that list and nothing extra will be added.

I also plan on hopefully getting the first step accomplished on all eight of the soup bowl cozies today. Perhaps even mark the darts for sewing tomorrow or Saturday. This project is a good use up the stash project and the quilt will be so as well. After I have completed those two steps I hope to go through the 4" squares and pick out what I need for the next quilt.

Our hall has been very cold over the last few days so I changed the draft dodger there for a heavier one and have for the first time turned on the heat in the hallway just before I went to bed last night (turned it off as soon as I got up). This seems to be working right now, the hall was not as chilly as it was the previous morning. However this will drive the electrical up a bit over the coming months.

Over the next couple of days I need to find "The Covenant between the Archdiocese of Regina and the Diocese of Qu'Appelle" and study it for our meeting on the 18th of November. I also need to make an appointment to speak with our new priest and find out how he stands on parish exchanges for the coming year, and the annual joint prayer service.

I am moving menu plans around. We will have hotdogs, coleslaw, and homemade fries tonight instead of Saturday and the Spicy Moroccan Lentil Soup that night. I think that with the weather being so strange at this time of year we need something homey.

Today I am grateful that I no longer have to go out in the cold to head for work.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
Sunny and mid-30s right now.
Waiting for workmen to show up ... after that, need to take care of an errand.
Florida ... sorry to hear about your mom. Glad she realized she couldn't go straight home (for both your sakes).
Let's see, Tuesday was purposeful puttering before I had to go hold the ladder for DH while he cleaned out and tried to fix (one of) the gutters. Jury's still out on whether we need to call someone.
Yesterday, went to see the "Thor" movie, it was OK, think I could have waited for Redbox. We were going to take DH's car, but it won't start. So another expense in an already expensive month.
Need to get curtains out of the washer ...
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

I have been up and busy, feeling kinda down....dad is back to talking about how he is ready to go and he has been on this earth long enough. I know this dreary time of year doesn't help but the fact of the matter is, he really is tired of living without mom and brothers....all his friends have passed. I think he is lonesome for them.

I have been bringing all of the boxes of pictures home from his house, he wants them sorted into extended family groups and then passed to remaining members of that family group. It has made me realize how people don't take snapshots any more, everything is done on cell phones.
I have decided to separate out photos of dad and mom and family to have in readiness for the photo reel at the funeral home for his passing. I hope that doesn't sound too gruesome, I learned from mom's passing that to do it in the throes of grief is not the best time.

Happier thoughts.....pork cutlets, mashed potatoes and baked squash for supper tonight and will add creamed peas for his eating pleasure.
I need to sweep floors and hang a small load of laundry. My sour dough bread turned out pretty good, for my own taste I prefer a bit more "Tang" everyone else said it was good. I will make some sourdough cinnamon rolls for the weekend. I am thinking adding orange peel and juice...love orange rolls.

Well off to get busy again.
Floridacat, praying for you and your momma, sending love and hugs

Have a great, safe day all,
JCKitty
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Florida Cat sorry to hear about your DM fall but glad that she did not require surgery. Does she have a body alert alarm? If not you might want to get her one. I have one and it gives me peace of mind. Although when I fell down a flight of steps I did not use it since it was during a tornado alert and I did not want anyone coming out in the storm.That was the reason I fell I was going downstairs to my storm shelter. . My nurse was not happy about that..Wishing her a speedy and good recovery.

It is (28 F) ( -2 C ) here. Had a heavy frosty for the first time. Have to cancel my plans to go for a scenic ride due to the court house is closed tomorrow and I need to get my property tax deductions in before the 15th. Do not want to cut things that close. Not much else planned except paperwork organization before and after the court house trip.
I have been doing survey's to get extra money. The other day I was paid 3.00 for a survey then yesterday received a box with a new candy bar that is being trial tested. There were 6 bars in the box. Will receive another $3.00 when I finish my evaluation..Not a bad way to make a few extra dollars. A couple of months ago received a similar offer from the survey company regarding some yummy cheese and meat appetizers. They sent me two different types.. I priced the one at Walmart and it was 10.00.. The other new one was not on the market yet. Here again I was paid 6.00 to eat yummy foods.
Have a good and frugal day. Janet Alliesmama
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama