Daily Check in Nov 11, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Nov 11, 2017

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Looks as if it is going to be a lovely day for our gathering at the cenotaph for the Remembrance Day Ceremonies. A friend of mine will be saying the Invocation and the prayers, while we remember those who gave their lives for the freedoms we enjoy here in Canada. This day was started by the WW1 veterans to remember their fallen colleagues and as long as we can "We will remember" their sacrifices and those that followed in many other wars around the world. This day is a bit different in every country around the world and I hope that everyone who can will attend a ceremony.

Frugality wise this will be another no spend day, and I am very hopeful of finishing another Christmas gift today. That will leave me just one to complete over the next week or so.

I also hope to do some baking at some point today. I would love some ginger snaps to dip into my afternoon tea or glass of milk and Hubby says his sweet tooth is acting up. If the weather holds I may even do some unbaked cookies (those should be fudgy enough for him).

This should also be a no drive day. Love saving on fuel costs by keeping my driving to a minimum.

I have pulled out some of the more manly 4" squares to work on youngest DS's quilt and that will use up a great many of them culling the drawer I keep them in even further. Problem is I always have scraps, and so I cut them into 4" squares where I can. This year I think I am going to try something very different and find patterns where I can use up the scraps as eye glass cases, key fobs, or even bandanas for dogs. You all get the picture. Reason being I have more than enough 4" squares to make quilts out of for the next 5 years. It isn't frugal if you don't use them.

Supper will be some leftover soup pulled from the freezer and I think I will make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Today I am grateful for the sunshine and rise in temperature we are seeing today.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie I admire all you do in the way of making gifts and using up scraps. Wish I had the skills and energy.. My Great Aunts use to make what they called postage stamp quilts.. They used every little scrap of fabric. When cut and sewn they were literally the size of a postage stamp. My Aunts said they had little money and used what they had and many times the fabric came from scraps made after cutting out patterns for clothing or when cutting up old clothes no longer able to be used..Was wondering if you will be posting a picture of your bowl cozies on your blog or on the Frugal Forum? . Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good afternoon. Been up since 3:00 AM.. There are some advantages to having insomnia. When my energy starts to go I will sit down to read or do something on my computer and it might only be 7:00 AM. Doing some cooking and baking.. Did an inventory of what is in my fridge freezer. Then will go through some cookbooks to get ideas on how to use things up..I get tired of the same old recipes. Also moving things out of my great room in to the kitchen. I am going to spot clean the dining and living room areas and hopefully shampoo the dining area this week-end then when it is dry will do the living room area one day next week. I only do a little at time, when the mood strikes, then go back to resting.. work a little and rest a lot.... better than sitting on my bum doing nothing..lol.

Have a great and frugal day. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I had to go into work for a half hour this morning to do something I forgot to do yesterday. DH went with me so he could see a couple of carpentry projects I need him to help with. Then we gassed up my car and bought groceries.

Right now I am doing laundry and baking some barbecued tofu. The only drawback to the vegan diet I am on (for health reasons) is not having anything to make a quick sandwich or taco out of. DH, who needs to eat better, was also interested in the tofu.

It is sunny and chilly in my part of Tennessee to day. The dogs are outside soaking up the sun on the brick patio. The puppy has been a little fiend lately and needs to be outside burning some energy.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

Thank you on this Veteran's Day to Clem, Becky, DG's son and all who serve and served. I did not attend an event, but I made a donation to a Veterans group outside of Publix today.

Today my neighborhood is having its annual yard sale. I was rushing to get to mom's rehab for breakfast and I backed out of my driveway and hit the back bumper of a car parked on our street. I only scraped the bumper a bit but the woman acted like I did significant damage. I gave her my insurance info and then ran back and said if her husband (owner of the minivan from what she said) wanted to settle it without going through insurance to give me a call. At first I wasn't going to tell mom but I did and she thought I should let it go through insurance. What do you all think? I'm sorry i didn't take a photo of her bumper.

Mom is about the same. The aide and I helped her into the wheelchair and I took her outside after breakfast. I'm going back in a little while for dinner.

When I left mom I went to Publix mainly for cat food. But I decided to get the turkey and put it in mom's freezer. Honestly I'm not sure she'll be home for Thanksgiving and if she is I'm not sure I'm up for cooking a big meal. But I can save it for Christmas.

At mom's house I did laundry and also cleaned up her side yard. The tree cutters for the neighbor was in our yard and made a big mess. The neighbor took away the big branches but many of mom's hibiscus, allemande and ixora had badly broken areas. This tree company was supposed to be top notch (for $13k I hope so!) but I'm not impressed and I'm glad I wasn't there on the day they took down the tree because I'm sure I would have been biting my nails.

Have a good evening.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

jckitty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am Good morning all,

I have been up and busy. I really wanted to sleep in but my fibro pressure points in hips were aching so I got up. I am sure it is weather related as it is cold again this morning.
Chickens out and fed, stove ashes (cold) have been dumped for their dusting pleasure, stove cleaned and relit. House looks pretty good but I did need to clean and shine the sinks. I think I want to bring in a healthy load of wood. Supposed to be cold and rainy tomorrow....yuck.

I cannot make myself buckle down and get Thanksgiving planned. The fiancé says it's because I am thinking too much about issues with brother....he is probably correct. Brother "flared" on me again last night, trying to involve the fiancé in one of his issues and I finally just told him to leave me out of it. He just isn't happy unless he can blame someone/anyone for his problems. Why can't people just be happy??? :?

Have some errands to take care of and eating late lunch out with one of the DD's. I hope to have a simple almost lazy weekend.

Have a great, safe day all,
JCKitty
I don't understand also, why some people just seem to want to be so unhappy.

DH is like that also, I wonder if the "nothing is their fault " is part of their defense for their unhappiness???

IC
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 pm
Jackielou wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Looks as if it is going to be a lovely day for our gathering at the cenotaph for the Remembrance Day Ceremonies. A friend of mine will be saying the Invocation and the prayers, while we remember those who gave their lives for the freedoms we enjoy here in Canada. This day was started by the WW1 veterans to remember their fallen colleagues and as long as we can "We will remember" their sacrifices and those that followed in many other wars around the world. This day is a bit different in every country around the world and I hope that everyone who can will attend a ceremony.

Frugality wise this will be another no spend day, and I am very hopeful of finishing another Christmas gift today. That will leave me just one to complete over the next week or so.

I also hope to do some baking at some point today. I would love some ginger snaps to dip into my afternoon tea or glass of milk and Hubby says his sweet tooth is acting up. If the weather holds I may even do some unbaked cookies (those should be fudgy enough for him).

This should also be a no drive day. Love saving on fuel costs by keeping my driving to a minimum.

I have pulled out some of the more manly 4" squares to work on youngest DS's quilt and that will use up a great many of them culling the drawer I keep them in even further. Problem is I always have scraps, and so I cut them into 4" squares where I can. This year I think I am going to try something very different and find patterns where I can use up the scraps as eye glass cases, key fobs, or even bandanas for dogs. You all get the picture. Reason being I have more than enough 4" squares to make quilts out of for the next 5 years. It isn't frugal if you don't use them.

Supper will be some leftover soup pulled from the freezer and I think I will make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Today I am grateful for the sunshine and rise in temperature we are seeing today.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie I admire all you do in the way of making gifts and using up scraps. Wish I had the skills and energy.. My Great Aunts use to make what they called postage stamp quilts.. They used every little scrap of fabric. When cut and sewn they were literally the size of a postage stamp. My Aunts said they had little money and used what they had and many times the fabric came from scraps made after cutting out patterns for clothing or when cutting up old clothes no longer able to be used..Was wondering if you will be posting a picture of your bowl cozies on your blog or on the Frugal Forum? . Janet Alliesmama
I plan on posting pictures on my blog. Gayle asked if I would give instructions so I have been taking pictures of each step. While not perfect, I am very happy with how these turned out and will be making some for us a bit later. First I have the quilt project and some patterns cut out that need to be sewn as well. I think I might have gotten my sewing mojo back for awhile.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/