Daily Check In Dec 3rd

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In Dec 3rd

Post by rinty »

Mornin' All

Woke up late after a busy and FULL ON night with the family. We had all trundled off to a cheap and cheerful pub/restaurant with attached playbarn. All 8 DGKs . We have eaten there before and we like it, none of the kids had been.

It was pronounced food not as good as at home but had an AT HOME vibe as our 8 took over the playbarn and lead all other customers kids around.

Pack mentality but in a Peppa Pig style way :)

Today Christmas will be erected . So far I have some tasteful touches dotted around but need to stick up the tree if only to put all the danged presents under it. Our main Christmas planning and preparing has been FOOD actually, trying out new recipes etc. I did Christmas cake pop making at my little volunteer craft gig last week....SO Much FUN...............I told them to think of it like Bake OFF and they had such a good time. I'd printed off these little gingerbread house mini boxes and laminated them.....they held one cake pop each and of course they made loads of them. This week someof us at school are doing gingerbread men with our students with additional needs............so that will also be a FULL ON baking/making day, though the results will be WAY messier and not as PINTEREST WORTHY :shock:

I am on the computer as I wrote out a To Do list on Friday night and it had about 60 things on it so I had a mental meltdown...........told myself I needed PRIORITIES and have put the list to one side.

PRIORITIES are nice but when you are mum of a big family it isn't just MY priorities ;) So I have deep cleaned the house ( that stayed a priority) and have rethought the MUST DO, Have To Do and Nice to Do things.

Last week DH accomplished nuthin' I personally valued ( which ticked me off to no end ) He has asked for a list for this week which he may well regret. I had 3 late nights re work and volunteering and was out all night babysitting last week which meant things didn't get done.

This week is more free. Its get Krazy by the weekend mind you.

On the bright side, there isn't much to actually spend money on so my purse should stay shut this week. I also intend to Eat Very Little in preparation for gorging throughout the Christmas break so its Cup O soups for lunch at work with a piece of fruit, Weetabix for breakfasts and plain food at dinner, no desserts.

Today its duck, red cabbage cooked with apples and onions, butter and brown sugar in the slow cooker and roast potatoes, YUM. Leftover will be served tomorrow, prob shredded duck in a Chinese style sauce over rice. Tuesday ON TOAST night. Wed, homemade soup and rolls, Thursday offal ( we have some kidney in the freezer ) and Friday fridge gleanings..........

OFF to iron, prepare stuff for work and cross-stitch some small Christmas cards.......at this rate I will get 3 done at least !

Have a good day all and Florida , glad you are home safe and sound. It certainly seems you made the right decision re laying your DM to rest, you sound at peace with it, bless you.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Daily Check In Dec 3rd

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Ah, good morning Rinty - I sure enjoy your posts. Thank you for the reminder about Peppa Pig - I had forgotten - the little guys used to watch it and I though it was the most precious show!

Slept until 7 again. I had a nice visit with my friend last night. I think she found Hope to be a bit overbearing - Hope just LOVED her - but finally the dog did settle down and we were able to chat and catch up.

I brought a kitten out of hiding this morning and sat with it while Hope checked it out. She did well with it - just a lot of licking and sniffing - but I'm still afraid what she would do if I were to put the baby down!

Other than getting the dogs out for some good exercise today, nothing planned - will likely do a bit of cooking (thinking homemade soup) and work online some more.

Have a blessed Sunday.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Not really much new here. I was able to sleep until almost 5 am. This may be early but since I didn’t wake up once it was good.

I am very frustrated with the Tiny Sweater I am knitting. I keep making a mistake in the exact same spot. So I put it aside and started a Tiny Elf for me. He will go on my tree.

Penny
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by rinty » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 am

Mornin' All

Woke up late after a busy and FULL ON night with the family. We had all trundled off to a cheap and cheerful pub/restaurant with attached playbarn. All 8 DGKs . We have eaten there before and we like it, none of the kids had been.

It was pronounced food not as good as at home but had an AT HOME vibe as our 8 took over the playbarn and lead all other customers kids around.

Pack mentality but in a Peppa Pig style way :)

Today Christmas will be erected . So far I have some tasteful touches dotted around but need to stick up the tree if only to put all the danged presents under it. Our main Christmas planning and preparing has been FOOD actually, trying out new recipes etc. I did Christmas cake pop making at my little volunteer craft gig last week....SO Much FUN...............I told them to think of it like Bake OFF and they had such a good time. I'd printed off these little gingerbread house mini boxes and laminated them.....they held one cake pop each and of course they made loads of them. This week someof us at school are doing gingerbread men with our students with additional needs............so that will also be a FULL ON baking/making day, though the results will be WAY messier and not as PINTEREST WORTHY :shock:

I am on the computer as I wrote out a To Do list on Friday night and it had about 60 things on it so I had a mental meltdown...........told myself I needed PRIORITIES and have put the list to one side.

PRIORITIES are nice but when you are mum of a big family it isn't just MY priorities ;) So I have deep cleaned the house ( that stayed a priority) and have rethought the MUST DO, Have To Do and Nice to Do things.

Last week DH accomplished nuthin' I personally valued ( which ticked me off to no end ) He has asked for a list for this week which he may well regret. I had 3 late nights re work and volunteering and was out all night babysitting last week which meant things didn't get done.

This week is more free. Its get Krazy by the weekend mind you.

On the bright side, there isn't much to actually spend money on so my purse should stay shut this week. I also intend to Eat Very Little in preparation for gorging throughout the Christmas break so its Cup O soups for lunch at work with a piece of fruit, Weetabix for breakfasts and plain food at dinner, no desserts.

Today its duck, red cabbage cooked with apples and onions, butter and brown sugar in the slow cooker and roast potatoes, YUM. Leftover will be served tomorrow, prob shredded duck in a Chinese style sauce over rice. Tuesday ON TOAST night. Wed, homemade soup and rolls, Thursday offal ( we have some kidney in the freezer ) and Friday fridge gleanings..........

OFF to iron, prepare stuff for work and cross-stitch some small Christmas cards.......at this rate I will get 3 done at least !

Have a good day all and Florida , glad you are home safe and sound. It certainly seems you made the right decision re laying your DM to rest, you sound at peace with it, bless you.
No, your special needs students will not make PINTEREST quality Gingerbread boys, but they will be so proud of what they have accomplished. That is so important.

Penny
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Oh Rinty I can remember baking with the special needs students very well. You will have fun.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

House is decorated, cards are pretty much completed. I do have one card that I need to make out for a cousin/friend that I reconnected with at the family reunion. That will be done today after Mass.

I have decided that our front deck needs a bit of decorating, the small wreath on the door just does not cut it anymore. I just have to figure out an inexpensive way of fancying it up. Perhaps a walk through the park would give me a bit of inspiration....

Today will be about getting things completed to start the new week off with a bang. The run up to Christmas will be filled with baking and perhaps some batch cooking (well my kind of batch cooking which is more like just cook extra and freeze it). I did make my big batch of chili yesterday, but got a bit carried away with one heat inducing spice....my mouth and lips burned for a very long time. I put the extra in the fridge to cool and will be hauling it downstairs to put in the freezer today.

Frugality wise as usual around the old homestead. I need to take stock of what I have in the cupboards and make darn sure it is all used up. I do know I am getting short on a few items and so those items will be gradually added to the grocery list.

I should also start sewing again today. If I leave it too long it takes me ages to get back to it and the pile of patterns cut out is calling me a slacker. Need to get them out of the way. I have some lovely heavier knit fabrics that I can hardly wait to cut into and make some winter dresses from. Can't do that unless these others are sewn first though.

Then this afternoon I hope to finish off another skein of yarn on the baby blanket. This should be completed in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

Supper this evening will be some leftover ham. I think I may just warm up the slices, add some buttered egg noodles, leftover salad, and call it done. Simple is best this time of year (unless I make it into a quiche, using small bits of ham rather than crumbled bacon).

Today I am grateful that my throat though rough is not as bad as yesterday.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/