Daily Check In Dec 3rd

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check In Dec 3rd

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Sunday morning all,

Today I am grateful that my mil is feeling better. It is unfortunate that hubs brother and sister can't get along regarding the matter. Hubs says I can't help out, so I will be happy with whatever you two decide. I am also grateful that the cat is doing better. She has hair on most of her body and only a few sores. She is beginning to show a thank you, polite personality although she sleeps most of the time.

I again tried to get shopping done yesterday. People are still hectic and driving distracted. The crowds are huge. Maybe today will be better if I get out early. I still want to get a couple of things. I hope the panic subsides.

I am not usually an Aldi's shopper since the store is a distance away, but they sell eggs in recyclable cartons and no one else seems to. That is important to me, so they are getting my business now. They had salmon on sale and it was excellent. What we didn't eat, I froze.

About mid day, I began to feel poorly. No energy. So I stayed inside and did light housework. Military son left on Tuesday with a cold and the timing would be right to come down with it. I went to bed early and slept all night. Feeling much better this morning.

One of my frugal FB groups got into a discussion of the recent Congressional tax bills. As usual, there were the sky is falling group, but fortunately, there were some reasonable people posting. It ended up being a good discussion and I learned some things. Some people said they needed to become preppers. Interesting. One person shared a "test" that may determine if you will save on your taxes or not with the new plan. We will with either current proposal. Next year should be interesting. Another FB friend, a former neighbor, was all upset and offended about a T-shirt sold at Walmart that attacked Journalists (she is one). In the discussion, I asked if they were upset when a similar one appeared with police or Trump supporters. They weren't. They thought that was dark humor. So maybe anti-Journalists find this dark humor as well? "silence" There are a lot of upset people out there right now. Curious.

The weather here has been Florida nice, so I have not needed heat or ac. At the end of this coming week, that is set to change. It will get cold for a few days and I don't think I will be able to avoid using the heat. My leaky front door and big window will let the cold in. Well, the door is scheduled to be replaced this month, I hope and the window early next year. I look forward to saving more money next year as a result.

I haven't done my frugal five post for awhile. While the turkey prices have been frugal, the other things have not. I hope to regain my frugal footing this month. Well, off to breakfast and shopping. Have a good day everyone.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Feels like I slept well last night. I remember waking up once and then it was almost 8 when I did get up.

This is a big deal for me.

Had an interesting evening at our small drum circle. Gee - Christmas is a trying time for people. From what they said looks like we need to just tone it back a bit. So much pressure to decorate and buy the perfect gift.

We do a "eat it or spend it" gift thing. If we can't eat it or spend it, don't get it for me. Adults only. If you have kids - hope you buy them something nice cuz ain't getting anything from me - :mrgreen: .

One person said they were in a high state of stress just from the adult children visiting. It shouldn't be that way. Hope my mom didn't feel that way. :(

Have a great day
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good afternoon all,

I have ham and beans cooking for supper tonight, cornbread and possibly fried potatoes to round out the meal for dad.

It is bright, sunny and not too chilly outside. I am having a lazy afternoon, busy day yesterday so taking it easy today. Tomorrow is a "get it done" day, with after weekend cleaning and cooking. I will be making my to-do lists and menus later today. Still have sniffles and alittle congestion from last weeks strep throat but feel so much better.

I am listening to my Mannheim steamroller Christmas CD....I love it .
Clem I really like the idea of eat it or spend it for Christmas gift ideas. I am already tired of the Christmas ads and "give me" attitude this year and its only the 3rd of December.

Not much to report, Floridacat, good to know you are home and settling in with your kitty.

Should we be worried that we haven't heard from Becky?
Have a great day all,
JCKitty
RedRobin

Post by RedRobin »

Good afternoon. It's chilly and a little overcast today. I only slept 4 hours or so last night so I have been flush all day. Managed to earn some points at my usual sites in the middle of the night.

Washed another load of laundry and put away what I did yesterday. Today's laundry is hanging in the laundry room because it was way too dismal to hang it outside.

Made potato pancakes and potato soup today using up the free mashed potatoes from thanksgiving. I froze the potato pancakes and grated some free cheddar from thanksgiving top it. The milk and butter were free so my only cost for the soup was an onion and some flour, same for the pancakes.

DH is watching tv. He is retired and not in the best of health. As I said in my last post, I am still working.

I hope to keep up my contributions to the group,
RedRobin
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 pm Good afternoon all,

I have ham and beans cooking for supper tonight, cornbread and possibly fried potatoes to round out the meal for dad.

It is bright, sunny and not too chilly outside. I am having a lazy afternoon, busy day yesterday so taking it easy today. Tomorrow is a "get it done" day, with after weekend cleaning and cooking. I will be making my to-do lists and menus later today. Still have sniffles and alittle congestion from last weeks strep throat but feel so much better.

I am listening to my Mannheim steamroller Christmas CD....I love it .
Clem I really like the idea of eat it or spend it for Christmas gift ideas. I am already tired of the Christmas ads and "give me" attitude this year and its only the 3rd of December.

Not much to report, Floridacat, good to know you are home and settling in with your kitty.

Should we be worried that we haven't heard from Becky?
Have a great day all,
JCKitty
I've sent an email, put a message on Facebook for her. Now I don't know what is happening. The last time she was gone this long there was a problem with her WiFi in her new apartment and she had to use the complex computer. She really did not like posting anything while using that system. Hopefully it is the problem this time around.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good afternoon,

Just took the raisin bread out of the oven.

I'm planning to sent them away, I am thinking of my step sister and my "Sunday" friend.

My step sister and I have only met once, 32 years ago when my father died. Our parents married after all of the kids were grown.

My step mother lived in another state before they married. She and I talk a few times a year and e-mail.

I was talking to my "Sunday" friend, i feel so bad for her, she works so hard, and full time so she has health ins, but she also has cancer and many of her needs are not covered by her insurance. :x She pays as much as she can, but is in collections, she can't answer her phone because of that. :cry:

She bought a house a few years ago, her house payment is less then rent would be, but she is having trouble with the upkeep of the house. Right now there is bad leak in her kitchen sink, and she can't afford a plumber or a handy man to come in.

She has a 2 bed one bathroom house but does not want a room mate.

She is 66 and we have discussed her taking her SS even though she is working, but .....

IC