Would You Open Your Door to a Stranger?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Would You Open Your Door to a Stranger?

Post by SandiSAHM »

If DH isn't here? Nope. Not even with the dog here doing her best 'I'm huge & vicious' barking snarl. I have kids, no unnecessary risks taken.

The only people we really get here is religious folk, I don't mind meeting them - though there's one group that must not share their 'we've already canvassed' area maps very well, I've met 3 different pairs since moving in; nice people but the last thing I'd want to do, as a religious representative, is annoy people by repeatedly knocking on their door - and door to door salespeople. ! Seriously? In this day and age... I have the internet, if I want something I don't need to wait for someone to come to my door and offer it to me. Those I refer to the sign at the neighborhood entrance that says solicitors aren't welcome.

DH is goofy, he opens the door to anyone. Because apparently you never know when the next great discovery will come to your attention via stranger at the door? :lol:

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I have opened my door to strangers, but usually only in day-light.

Now having said that, often I can look through the small windows at the top of my door, and if it's someone whom I don't recognize, I won't open the door at night if Dh isn't here. Like you say, going off intuition, if I don't "feel good" about it, I won't do it.

We keep the lights off in evenings if we are all home, so if someone does knock, I can turn on the lights, and look at them thru my window. This time of year,however, it's common to have people knocking after dark, especially closer to Christmas.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Never! I will generally go to the front door and look through the sidelight and if someone is there, I ask them what they want. I don't open the door at all. If they break the side light they would have to reach in, find the deadbolt to unlock the inside door, open it and then reach about 8 inches further to the storm door and get it unlocked.

The reason I go to the door is that in our area there have been burglaries where they knock on the door and if no one answers, they break in. I want them to know I am here. This will likely make you all cringe - but I have mace spray and a gun concealed within 3 feet of the front door. We live in the country, not a bad area or anything, but I don't take chances with my safety.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

colonialgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pm
This will likely make you all cringe - but I have mace spray and a gun concealed within 3 feet of the front door. We live in the country, not a bad area or anything, but I don't take chances with my safety.
Doesn't make me cringe at all. There's a gun where I can reach it in the center of the house - if someone breaks in the back, front, or via the garage, they can make it about 2 feet into the house before I can see them from that point. If they're in, the law here says you can shoot them. I've had enough practice that I know I can hit them.

But really anyone who breaks into a house with a dog that sounds like this one HAS to be on drugs, so unless he or she has a weapon of their own I'm going to go with the idea that they're tripping and try to wound rather than kill.

We were at a 4-way stop yesterday and some guy - looked 'normal' (I know, define 'normal' - middle class, he looked like a guy who was housed and well fed), flailing around and trying to jump people, which did not work with people on motorcycles. Nearly caused a wreck when a guy on a sport bike avoided him. Meth is rampant here; I'm not sure what it does to people though so there's really no telling. Maybe he just had a breakdown. Cops were called.

nbeaver

Post by nbeaver »

I probably would have done what you did, but here is a true story: my husband, when he was in Bible college and on the BB team, left on a 2-day trip with the team with a light jacket. Temperatures fell considerably while he was gone. When he got back, at 2:00 a.m., he left for home, a 25 minute drive into the country. He ran out of gas about 1/2 way home. This way 30 years ago, long before most people had cell phones. He started out walking, but the temperature was in the teens. He came on a house and knocked. The door was opened after a few minutes by a little old lady who allowed him to come in and use her phone to call his parents. We've often thought how crazy it was that she let a big young man into her house at 2 in the morning, but she might have saved his life. The next day he brought her a lot of his family's home-grown beef as a thank you.
Of course, if you live in town, anyone needing help has lots of options and nearly everyone carries a phone these days as well (I would be the exception).

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

nbeaver, I thought about it might be someone who needed help or a phone or something but I am in a large town and there are places people can go for assistance - like a gas station, the police station, etc. So I figured nobody that I don't know needs MY help bad enough for me to open that door!

I so agree with you that the woman who helped your DH may have saved his life!