Daily Check in Dec 9, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Dec 9, 2017

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning Frugal friends,

I am trying to plan out my day/weekend. My support group friends have a planned outing starting at 4:15 PM. Tomorrow I told my cousin I'd be at home for her to drop off something. I need to get my laundry done. So I guess this AM. They are calling for snow later today. I don't mind driving myself in snow, but my city freaks out at the first snow of the year.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Dec 9, 2017

Post by Dgflorida »

Good chilly morning all,

I don't have to go out today which is good because it is raining, a chilly rain. The cold front passed during the night with a gentle, but surprisingly loud rain. The house is still warm inside, so no heat turned on yet. Maybe tonight. I have plastic up on all the windows, but the old door is drafty and door insulation prevents the door from closing properly. New door is due to arrive in a few weeks.

Yesterday, I completed another section of fence around the yard boundary flower bed. I had to trim back the spent hibiscus and I stuck the green stems into the ground. See what happens. At least with this type, they will root from cutting. I now have about a 4x40 ft area to dump front yard tree leaves in when they start to fall. It feels frugal to recycle leaves. This bed took a hit from hurricane Irma. The hibiscus, sugar cane, papaya all got pushed over. They all survived, none totally uprooted. But my lovely bed did not look very lovely. I also learned not to let the hibiscus grow tall when so exposed to the wind. Next year, I will keep them trimmed. The sugar cane need a bigger space. Lovely tall, broad leaf grass, but too big for the narrow bed. Not sure how to move it. The papaya stay. Most have blooms, some with fruit. The pigeon peas did poorly, but finally several plants took hold. They are blooming and producing pea pods. An edible hedge is a nice hedge. I am slowly building an edible hedge along the back fence as well. That will take awhile though. Still learning this new warmer climate rules.

The weather today will allow me to catch up with household inside activities. We put part of the Christmas cards in the mail yesterday and some more today. The last set on Monday. Hopefully, that will be good. Hubs said he finished the expense report for November and said we spent about the same as the previous month. We got a call from the broker representative. He wants to talk. We said January. We need to start the process of required IRA distribution. This predicted cold week we do not have any doctor visits and except for buying lettuce, eggs and ice cream, I can stay home.

I got hubs shower done yesterday. It was 80F here and won't be for awhile, they say. :( Hubs also started his pain medicine "holiday". So by tomorrow, he will probably be scooting around the house in his wheelchair, no longer able to walk. I save the water used to heat up the shower to use on my plants or for mopping the floor. Hubs says we do a military shower. After wetting him down, I turn off the water and then turn it back on to rinse. I can't imagine wasting water while soaping up.

Tonight is a turkey breast cooked in the slow cooker. I won't use the oven on the old stove. I am not an oven person anyways. I gave the skinny neighbor some peanut butter cups So they gave us, a couple of slices of pizza. Hubs can't have the crust, but the toppings were great. He had it in place of ice cream. We have enough for him to do it again. My carb counter says the toppings are low carb, so a win.

Well, off to start the day inside away from the cold and see what I can get done. Stay safe and warm everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I will be heading out in a couple of hours with my sister. I do hope the highways are decent, the weather is to be quite nice.

Really not much to say other then I am worried about youngest brother, really this is the first time he has ever mentioned killing himself. Things have never been easy for him. I do know he will be happy to see his two sisters, and will be talking a mile a minute to my sister as he never gets a chance to talk to her. Me, well he talks to me once a week for 20 to 30 minutes.

Hubby says not to worry, that he will forage in the fridge for supper. I told him there is enough sausage casserole for us both to have tonight (me when I get home).

Off to get ready and do a very few chores before I leave.

Today I am grateful for the break in the weather that enables us to travel and check up on a loved one.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Morning. Was awakened at 6 by the sound of the little guy (age 9) opening and closing cupboard doors in the kitchen. He was sent back to bed until I got some coffee flowing through my veins.

We are heading to the library after awhile. They open at 10:00 and I want to get there soon after that. Little guy will likely play games on a computer in the children's section and I will sit nearby and read magazines. It is a good way to kill some time. :-)

Will do some "for the coming week" cooking later today and bake something yummy as I anticipate a visit from my parents tomorrow.

I am off to consume more coffee and get ready for the day. Happy Saturday Friends.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Jackie have a safe trip and hope they can find medication to help your DB.

It is a chilly 31 with wind chill of 21.. Going to stay pretty much the same most of the day due to winds around 30 mph. We may have snow flurries off and on today. I plan on putting the lights on my Christmas tree today while I still have energy. With it being so overcast today it will be easier to put the lights on during the daylight hours. I will to in to town this afternoon to pick up a few things since I found some great coupons and they expire today. The items will be very much needed in the near future so will not waste them. I am going to use some of my 22.00 from surveys to pay for the items. Had planned on saving the money to go towards the furnace loan but I only need 3 extra dollars per month and I am sure I can squeeze that out of somewhere else in the budget.
Hope everyone has a frugal and wonderful day.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Today is shopping day. I have a moderate list today.

I think I have my last planned gift on my needles now, but I will need to double check my list.

Then I want to knit for me. I need to check my gauge and see if I am close enough to continue knitting my sweater. I am knitting it from the top down I am working on the first of the sleeves. I have had multiple surgeries and a fall since I worked on it last. The sweater is a very simple one, that I have knit multiple times before. I would like it finally finished.

Penny