How do you feel about 2017? What are your reflections about the year?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: How do you feel about 2017? What are your reflections about the year?

Post by colonialgirl »

2017 has been the worst year of my life. The election sent me into a real state of despair and anxiety. Sadly - that has not been alleviated at all during the past year - it has only escalated by what I see happening every day. Finally went to the doctor and got anti anxiety medication and that helps to cope a little.

So far this year I have lost a niece, a nephew, a dear friend, watched my best friend lose her 45 year old son and then two nights ago my great, great nephew tried to hang himself. Luckily he was found before he died. He is 17 - what is so bad that you want to end your life at 17? He is such a sweet kind boy too.

I've seen so many friends just on this forum lose loved ones and think of their grief and sorrow so often.

I know I have multiple blessings every day, but I just can't seem to engage with life now. Everything is too much effort, even things I love - the daily check in, keeping house, cooking, being frugal, antiquing, genealogy, needle work. Sorry to sound so whiney. I think I am going to need to go back on antidepressants like I did after my mother died. I don't know how people who are clinically depressed all of the time go on, I truly do not.

Well - now that I have cheered you all up. I am looking forward to 2017 going into the record books and praying for a better 2018.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

colonialgirl wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:32 pm 2017 has been the worst year of my life. The election sent me into a real state of despair and anxiety. Sadly - that has not been alleviated at all during the past year - it has only escalated by what I see happening every day. Finally went to the doctor and got anti anxiety medication and that helps to cope a little.

So far this year I have lost a niece, a nephew, a dear friend, watched my best friend lose her 45 year old son and then two nights ago my great, great nephew tried to hang himself. Luckily he was found before he died. He is 17 - what is so bad that you want to end your life at 17? He is such a sweet kind boy too.

I've seen so many friends just on this forum lose loved ones and think of their grief and sorrow so often.

I know I have multiple blessings every day, but I just can't seem to engage with life now. Everything is too much effort, even things I love - the daily check in, keeping house, cooking, being frugal, antiquing, genealogy, needle work. Sorry to sound so whiney. I think I am going to need to go back on antidepressants like I did after my mother died. I don't know how people who are clinically depressed all of the time go on, I truly do not.

Well - now that I have cheered you all up. I am looking forward to 2017 going into the record books and praying for a better 2018.
That is it - CG - I just don't want to do anything that takes effort or isn't "fun". I don't want to clean or cook. I also think I watch too much tv news. My pets irritate me. I feel bad about that. I've been taking my thyroid meds faithfully now to see if that helps. It has before. Sometimes I just want to be left alone. That isn't good either?

Sorry about your nephew.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

CG, honey. (((Hugs))). I have to take breaks from listening to the news because it causes me such anxiety. The lack of civility and decent behavior in our society upsets me greatly.

2017 was/is kind of tough. I worry about about politics and the environment to the point that I am glad we don't have grandchildren. I had a lot of expensive eye surgery. DH has never truly been well since his last heart procedure 13 months ago. So all that has been hard.

However, on the plus side, I left a bad job and got a good one. DH seems to be doing well at work. DS, who has Asperger's, has a job well suited to him and is slowly gaining maturity. Our rescued pups are thriving. We are happy homebodies who live frugally and give what we can to make the world a better place.
Mackie
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Colonial Girl,
Once again you expressed things I feel and understand.
I don't know why but I can't seem to put a label on 2017. I have felt so much despair and frustration and so much of it because of things I simply can not control, trying to just control my reactions to things. The political climate is first on my list, and the meanness of people and their glee in the misfortune of others. I keep thinking when are they going to realize this will/does affect them and theirs. I feel shame for them, and cannot understand how people can take so much satisfaction from the misfortunes of others , things foisted on them thru no fault of their own only their origins and skin color, political leanings.

I hope 2018 is better and I hope to be able to control my reactions (mouth) better this year. I do not want to become mean spirited.
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I changed the channel from CNN to Hallmark!

Maybe after the senate race in Alabama is over, things will settle down for a bit.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

For me 2017 has been difficult. I watched my mom decline particularly over the past six months. Mom was always “sharp as a tack” so it was hard to watch her worsening confusion. Still I will remember 2017 as having my sweet mom most of the year and our love for each other.

Mom’s death has of course been very hard. But I have felt so good about the caring and love I have felt from mom’s neighbors, my neighbors, my friends, my few relatives and you all, my frugal living friends.

The political things really affected me and I’ve felt tremendous anger. By now I think I’m sort of shell shocked and I try not to pay as close attention. It is very sad for our country.

I’m looking forward to 2018. I’m trying already to make an effort to see friends and find things that give me joy. I’m looking forward to getting back into genealogy and thinking of taking a trip sometime next year.