Daily Check In December 12, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check In December 12, 2017

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning.

BB walked, but it was a short walk, BB leads, I just follow.

Breakfast had.

How is it just 13 days before Christmas????

I need to start baking the cookies that I plan to send to 3 of my nephews.

I just put some butter in the KA mixer to soften, I thought about doing it last night, but I didn't :(

DH just told me that his nephews kids, great nephews and niece, will be at his mothers for Christmas day. I told him that if he wanted to get them gifts he can. For the past years I have been buying, wrapping the the gifts and never get a thank you. I told DH that I was not going to buy anything, he was free to do what he wants. DH has never thanked me for this, and in fact has told me not to do anything for them, alrighty then. :roll:

This summer I got the kids a pool, ($30 blow up at Costco) ask me if I got a thank you !!! NOPE !!!! I'm done !

For my family I'm sending cookies and a check. One nephew has 5 kids, I've shopped for gifts for them before and have not received a thank you either. :roll:

Well I do get a thank you for the cookies, I'm Aunt Cookie. :D

IC
rinty

Post by rinty »

Ello,

Dinner tonight will be tomatoes on homemade toast, its a fantastic seeded loaf DH made, he has also made some beautiful plaited ( braided ) loaves we'll serve at the next family dinner.

The tomatoes were 10p yellow stickered baby plum ones bought over a week ago. and, yes, they are still "as new". I don't " Yellow Sticker cos we are starving retirees, I do it cos it makes sense ;) This week I got a 10p cauliflower , normal price £1......why wouldn't you Yellow Sticker ????

The house looks nice , the Christmas decs have " settled ", I''ve stopped fiddling with them. :shock: Loving the spare bedroom with its snowman bedlinen. I put all the Kiddie Christmas stuff in there , the little tree has multi-coloured lihjts and theres lots of Christmas themed toys.......Rudolph and Clarice the reindeer, penguins, teddies dressed up for Christmas, snowmen and all can and will be played with.

DH has done all the baking, a very elaborate fruit cake with lots of glace fruit, lovely Christmas puddings, a fantastic mini biscuit recipe for cheese and walnut biscuits.

My contribution will be a millionaire shortbread topped with...........( drum roll, I love this idea ) Malteser mini chocolate reindeer. So we are talking shortbread base, topped with homemade caramel, then topped with melted milk chocolate with these reindeer embedded in it............a winner, no ? Also Black Forest Trifle which is choc swiss roll topped with cherry pie filling topped with a homemade chocolate mousse ( sinfully rich) As you make it with raw eggs the wimmen in the family are very pleased I am making it as at least one of them has been pregnant for the last couple of years so couldn't eat it.

Finally a trad British trifle ( minus the sherry )

I make these in "vintage " trifle dishes that were my grandmothers. I tell you , what strikes you is how SMALL these dishes are compared to my Pampered Chef trifle dish. they understood portion size better back then.

I have some work stuff to do but as I had a snow day yesterday I can hardly complain............

Had a nice Munch and Mingle , lots of homemade yummy stuff as well as bought stuff. I took cheese and crackers. Also did Secret Santa ( max £5 ) I was pleased with what I had taken in and got a really nice toiletries set from Boots Natural Collection as my present. Winner !

Dog walked, scented candles lit ( Candy Cane Lane by yankee candle ) 10p dinner to prepare ;)

IC I don't blame you re the lack of thank you notes........what with social media there are a million ways to say thanks these days, stick with the cookies !
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

icfrugal1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:41 pm Good morning.

BB walked, but it was a short walk, BB leads, I just follow.

Breakfast had.

How is it just 13 days before Christmas????

I need to start baking the cookies that I plan to send to 3 of my nephews.

I just put some butter in the KA mixer to soften, I thought about doing it last night, but I didn't :(

DH just told me that his nephews kids, great nephews and niece, will be at his mothers for Christmas day. I told him that if he wanted to get them gifts he can. For the past years I have been buying, wrapping the the gifts and never get a thank you. I told DH that I was not going to buy anything, he was free to do what he wants. DH has never thanked me for this, and in fact has told me not to do anything for them, alrighty then. :roll:

This summer I got the kids a pool, ($30 blow up at Costco) ask me if I got a thank you !!! NOPE !!!! I'm done !

For my family I'm sending cookies and a check. One nephew has 5 kids, I've shopped for gifts for them before and have not received a thank you either. :roll:

Well I do get a thank you for the cookies, I'm Aunt Cookie. :D

IC
Recently I thought of how my mom ingrained in me to say “Thank You.” I have said it countless times to people who have been kind and helped me in recent weeks.

I say “Thank You” without giving it a thought it is so much a part of me.

But I know people from good homes who never say “Thank You” at least to me or in my presence. Very strange.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

rinty wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 pm Ello,

Dinner tonight will be tomatoes on homemade toast, its a fantastic seeded loaf DH made, he has also made some beautiful plaited ( braided ) loaves we'll serve at the next family dinner.

The tomatoes were 10p yellow stickered baby plum ones bought over a week ago. and, yes, they are still "as new". I don't " Yellow Sticker cos we are starving retirees, I do it cos it makes sense ;) This week I got a 10p cauliflower , normal price £1......why wouldn't you Yellow Sticker ????

The house looks nice , the Christmas decs have " settled ", I''ve stopped fiddling with them. :shock: Loving the spare bedroom with its snowman bedlinen. I put all the Kiddie Christmas stuff in there , the little tree has multi-coloured lihjts and theres lots of Christmas themed toys.......Rudolph and Clarice the reindeer, penguins, teddies dressed up for Christmas, snowmen and all can and will be played with.

DH has done all the baking, a very elaborate fruit cake with lots of glace fruit, lovely Christmas puddings, a fantastic mini biscuit recipe for cheese and walnut biscuits.

My contribution will be a millionaire shortbread topped with...........( drum roll, I love this idea ) Malteser mini chocolate reindeer. So we are talking shortbread base, topped with homemade caramel, then topped with melted milk chocolate with these reindeer embedded in it............a winner, no ? Also Black Forest Trifle which is choc swiss roll topped with cherry pie filling topped with a homemade chocolate mousse ( sinfully rich) As you make it with raw eggs the wimmen in the family are very pleased I am making it as at least one of them has been pregnant for the last couple of years so couldn't eat it.

Finally a trad British trifle ( minus the sherry )

I make these in "vintage " trifle dishes that were my grandmothers. I tell you , what strikes you is how SMALL these dishes are compared to my Pampered Chef trifle dish. they understood portion size better back then.

I have some work stuff to do but as I had a snow day yesterday I can hardly complain............

Had a nice Munch and Mingle , lots of homemade yummy stuff as well as bought stuff. I took cheese and crackers. Also did Secret Santa ( max £5 ) I was pleased with what I had taken in and got a really nice toiletries set from Boots Natural Collection as my present. Winner !

Dog walked, scented candles lit ( Candy Cane Lane by yankee candle ) 10p dinner to prepare ;)

IC I don't blame you re the lack of thank you notes........what with social media there are a million ways to say thanks these days, stick with the cookies !
Everything sounds so yummy!

I totally agree on the yellow stickers. Why let good food go to waste. We don’t have yellow stickers here but if we did I’d be right there.

BTW, there is a “British Food Store” about 10 Miles from my house. I’ve never been there but I’m thinking of going next week. I’m sure they are expensive but I might buy a treat for Christmas. Any suggestions?
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Good morning,
I buy the orange sticker meat items at our neighborhood store DS works at. It is a pricey store but with sales items, markdowns and his 10% employee discount I don't think it is that much more expensive for me than other stores. Of course some things like toilet paper, body wash, etc. I buy at Costco.

I am still trying to shake this darned cold. Head is still clogged up and I wake up every morning in a fog. I sure hope it's gone soon because I accepted a morning subbing job for three days the first week of January. I need to start tracking my hours because I cannot work more than 960 hours a year for a Cal Pers agency or else it will mess up my pension.

I don't plan to go out the next couple of days. I have some cake mixes that need using up so I am going to bake them as cookies and store them in the freezer. I am slowly going through the freezers and pantry to use up things that need using up. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I need to make a PetSmart and Costco run. I may just do that after bowling since all three places are fairly close by. Gas has gotten so expensive that it makes sense to do it all in one trip. Perhaps if I lay low today and tomorrow I will feel better and more energetic by Thursday, my bowling day.

Christmas decorating is done. I'm so glad I went ahead with it even though it's just DS and I here. It is soothing to me plus it is motivating me to do some deep cleaning of parts of the house.

Well I'm off to see what I can get into.

Bev
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I drug my feet too long, the 1/2 day Elementary sub job is gone. There is a full-day sub job available in the Special Ed class in a Middle school now. That one terrifies me even more than the Elem ones do, so I'm ignoring it too.

I've finished drawing & cutting my patterns, but need to make a Men's Large pants pattern for my big Boys' pj pants. Now I'm going to start cutting fabric. I think I need to pin notes on each cutout pattern indicating sizes & whom they are for... as I want to cut out for my children at the same time as for the other family.

I'm not sure what I'm making for dinner. I want soup, but it depends on what I get done by 3:10 pm.

I'm taking my littles to the Northern Express Christmas thingy at our Library today at 4pm.

Back to fabric. I need to get my ironing board set up to steam some of the woven fabric, and even the flannel, just to be able to get folds out. Wish me luck. ;)

Gayle