Holiday extra costs. Are you spending more this holiday season?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Holiday extra costs. Are you spending more this holiday season?

Post by Dgflorida »

Are you spending more this season than expected or planned for? Less?

We don't spend at all anymore for the Christmas season. We did when the kids were small because they loved it and it was money well spent. Now we mail out cards with newsy notes to people we haven't seen for a long time and look forward to newsy notes back. Since the cards are only a dollar a box at Dollar tree and the newsy notes are mostly free, only cost is the stamp. They are worth it.

Most of the stuff on sale during the season is stuff we don't need. Since we have too much stuff already, no buying this time of year.

What about you?
clemencia2us

Re: Holiday extra costs. Are you spending more this holiday season?

Post by clemencia2us »

Spending practically zero!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Only thing I’m spending more on are extra donations.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Of course !

Its a very spendy time of year ! We go out more.............theatre, cinema trips with grandbabies, Christmas events, we host parties and get togethers and of course theres gifts. 8 DGKs, 5 kids etc , etc.

We, save up to do this in a specific account, save change in a sealed pot and do a grocery loyalty scheme and saved and use loyalty points to get FREE money to buy gifts. I wouldn't spend more than I can afford
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I've been saving $$ for Christmas, plus I used my Mturk Amazon money for gifts on Amazon.com, and $27 on an old gift card.

Now ds13 has popped up with a couple of things he insists he wants, and I'm at a loss of where to come up with money to get them. I could dump my change jars, but I've been saving them for my Italy trip.

Hubby is hopelessly addicted to his CC's and I'm trying to help him manage them. I'm almost at the "give the car back to the bank" point, and telling him to put that $500 car payment on the CC's for a couple of years -- though I DO LOVE the new car, its not worth living in extreme debt.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Yes. I will end up spending about $20 going to a holiday function on the 15th and maybe another $20 out of pocket - stamps to 7 or so cards cards (got them free) and I need some more tape for wrapping and I will go to Dollar General to get the dogs and cats some Christmas treats.

Gift wise - everyone is getting nice gifts - but no cost to me - except for the Hours and HOURS spent doing those surveys to get Amazon gift cards.

Oh, I have to correct myself - I will spend about another $10 to get something for the two ladies in my office. I am getting them these: https://www.burtsbees.com/product/bit-o ... ue&start=1

and another $5 or so for a "little something" for a very special co-worker. Might I add, at the risk of sounding like Scrooge (and I really am NOT a scrooge) that the whole "gifts for co-workers thing goes against my grain - but it is sort of "necessary" in a weird way - not really necessary - but not worth the hassle to get out of.