Are you donating to charity this year? Which ones?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Are you donating to charity this year? Which ones?

Post by Quilter51 »

I do donate, low as my income is. It's a commitment (and in fact the lower income the high percentage of giving, on adverage).

This however, is where I say while it's tradition to give at the feel good holiday times, to remember that this is not the only time of need, in fact, aside from the "gifting" issue for kids, this is not even the time of greatest need for families.

So whatever your gifting or donation plans, I encourage you to save a percentage of your annual alottment for times ike in the summer, when millions of kids are not getting lunches they need, or other times.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

This is why I donate cash via our TOPS group to our local food bank. The cash can be use to restock when supplies/donations run low. I pay out of pocket for supplies to use in my after school program job. Our funding is limited so I try to provide for my students when I can.

I stay away from fundraiser donations. I participated in one once and learned organizations will share your name and address with others. The following year I was inundated with solicitations and I am still trying to get rid of the phone calls from that. If I donate to an organization what makes them think I will donate to a dozen others?

Bev
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I've decided that starting with this Christmas, and going forward, I'm actually NOT going to make donations this time of the year, except for $10 cash to a childrens' gift charity that my sister helps run.

I donate money and goods throughout the year, but around Christmas I get very stressed out about it.....feeling like I should save the world RIGHT NOW, and feeling bad that I can't give as much as I want to, or as much as I used to.

I feel better, already, lol. I figure that many people give during the holidays, but do little the rest of the year. I'll do the opposite....continue donating during the year, but give myself a mental and financial break right now.
ohjodi
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Most of our donations are to local groups: area food bank, a local cat shelter and to an area literacy program. I also try to throw a little something in the Salvation Army kettles.

Those charities used to get a bit more because DH's employer did a donation match ... unfortunately, that went away with his job.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Over the course of the year, to a variety of causes. This year mostly disaster relief, as every time you turned around some horrible thing had happened, and some development projects, some to United Way via DH's work, some to a program that helps kids as they age out of the foster care system (& basically get kicked out on the street because hey, they're 18, right, and can fend for themselves :shock: ), some to a missionary project that has a school in an Asian country (primarily helping the Karen people, who for all purposes are a people without an actual country).

We did the Angel tree thing for a pair of twins this year, that was interesting.

I think that was it. Most of it is monthly, online, to organizations we've researched ahead of time & keep an eye on when it comes to % of money used to the end goal.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

ohjodi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 pmI feel better, already, lol. I figure that many people give during the holidays, but do little the rest of the year. I'll do the opposite....continue donating during the year, but give myself a mental and financial break right now.
That's our thought process. We have 3 of our birthdays this month, Christmas, and an annual road trip, if charity stuff wasn't done over the course of the year, December would be crazy. People need help year 'round anyway.

Bdays for 2 of us (the adults) amounts to the dinner & dessert of our choice, but with kids the holiday and bday gift thing, with the road trip.... boy. And this year DH found a concert this month we 'had' to see. It was cute, but the price... not THAT cute.