Daily Check in Dec 23, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Daily Check in Dec 23, 2017

Post by colonialgirl »

Afternoon frugals -
A quick hello before I dig into a day of holiday prep. My family is getting together at my niece's this year. I think it will be good to mix things up after a year of so much change and loss. Since my dad is gone, we do easier foods for Christmas instead of the big turkey and dressing dinner. The young folks like the food better and it is easier on the cook (me).

So today I have to make two lasagnes and two pumpkin pies. That and a little straightening up around the house is my entire plan.

Jackie so sorry about your cousin's son. So young. There is so much sadness for so many people this year. They are in my prayers

Hope you have a good and peaceful day.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Jackie ... so sorry to hear of your family's loss. It's so sad when a young person dies.

Good early evening .... cloudy and 30s ... snow this morning, but it didn't stick. May get more tomorrow.

Popped out to do a last-minute Christmas gift. Shopping wasn't bad ... passed more than one person singing along with the carols piped into the store. Pretty funny! Now I have to figure out how to get said gift out of the car and under the tree without being seen.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:52 am
I got some bad news this morning. My cousins son was killed yesterday in a car accident. I only just met him this summer and at 18 years old was much too young to leave this earth.
Jackie so sorry for your loss and for his family's loss especially this time of year.. We never know why some die so young. My brother's oldest son was killed in an industrial accident when he had just turned 25. He had the world by the tail, good job, lovely fiancee, and a new house.. All gone so soon.. Does not seem fair for anyone.. ((hug). Janert Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am wiped out but in a good way. My great nephew, 12 y/o, arrived yesterday at 6:00 AM and I took him home around 10:30 AM this morning. His Mom is a nurse and had a 14 hour day ahead of her. He is a great kid.. He asked me if it would be ok for him to clean the ashes out of my fireplace..I told him I wanted to build a fire in it for Christmas Eve but needed to clean it out first. He did a great job. He wanted to wash the bricks down but I told them the bottle said to keep out of the reach of children. He said he was not a child.. "I am a tween." lol. Then he asked if it would be ok to finish decorating my Christmas tree.. you bet.. go ahead. He then told me.." next year you call me and I will put your tree up for you." When I was making mac and cheese for lunch he asked if he could grate the cheese for me.. Wish he would come over more often..lol. I had a lot of errands to run so he went with me and stayed happily in the car with my doggie nephew.. The only thing is I blew my budget buying him a carryout pizza and some toasted ravioli. He woke me up to tell me he was going to bed and good night.. I fell asleep in my recliner watch TV. Then this morning told him I would be taking him home around 10:00 AM. At 9:45 AM he called his Mom to let her know when we would be leaving and at 9:55 AM he had his suitcase packed and was putting on his coat and gloves. He is an amazing young man.

I awoke to SNOW! There was a chance of a dusting or maybe 1 " we got 2". I plugged in the tree and was a happy camper. Seems more like Christmas now.. We have been having days in the 50's. After breakfast my nephew asked if he could go out on the deck. He threw snowballs and then made small snowmen all around the patio table. He wanted to know if I had raisins for eyes. No but I did have dates that were in small cubes. He packed snow around the base of where the umbrella comes up the the table to make a Christmas tree. I got caught up in the fun and gave him food coloring to dye the tree green and to make splashes of color for ornaments. I have a gold Christmas swag that has stars on it so I cut a big one off for the top and then the smaller ones we attached with tooth picks..Had to stretch out yesterday afternoon not to sleep but needed to rest. He kept himself busy on his tablet. When I did get up he asked if my battery was all recharged.. He is such a fun kid and a brain at school too. He is in 6th grade but in advanced classes some on a 10th grade level. Wish I has a 12 y/0 boy around all the time.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:05 pm
I am wiped out but in a good way. My great nephew, 12 y/o, arrived yesterday at 6:00 AM and I took him home around 10:30 AM this morning. His Mom is a nurse and had a 14 hour day ahead of her. He is a great kid.. He asked me if it would be ok for him to clean the ashes out of my fireplace..I told him I wanted to build a fire in it for Christmas Eve but needed to clean it out first. He did a great job. He wanted to wash the bricks down but I told them the bottle said to keep out of the reach of children. He said he was not a child.. "I am a tween." lol. Then he asked if it would be ok to finish decorating my Christmas tree.. you bet.. go ahead. He then told me.." next year you call me and I will put your tree up for you." When I was making mac and cheese for lunch he asked if he could grate the cheese for me.. Wish he would come over more often..lol. I had a lot of errands to run so he went with me and stayed happily in the car with my doggie nephew.. The only thing is I blew my budget buying him a carryout pizza and some toasted ravioli. He woke me up to tell me he was going to bed and good night.. I fell asleep in my recliner watch TV. Then this morning told him I would be taking him home around 10:00 AM. At 9:45 AM he called his Mom to let her know when we would be leaving and at 9:55 AM he had his suitcase packed and was putting on his coat and gloves. He is an amazing young man.

I awoke to SNOW! There was a chance of a dusting or maybe 1 " we got 2". I plugged in the tree and was a happy camper. Seems more like Christmas now.. We have been having days in the 50's. After breakfast my nephew asked if he could go out on the deck. He threw snowballs and then made small snowmen all around the patio table. He wanted to know if I had raisins for eyes. No but I did have dates that were in small cubes. He packed snow around the base of where the umbrella comes up the the table to make a Christmas tree. I got caught up in the fun and gave him food coloring to dye the tree green and to make splashes of color for ornaments. I have a gold Christmas swag that has stars on it so I cut a big one off for the top and then the smaller ones we attached with tooth picks..Had to stretch out yesterday afternoon not to sleep but needed to rest. He kept himself busy on his tablet. When I did get up he asked if my battery was all recharged.. He is such a fun kid and a brain at school too. He is in 6th grade but in advanced classes some on a 10th grade level. Wish I has a 12 y/0 boy around all the time.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, your great nephew sounds like one amazing youngster! So glad you got to enjoy his company and it was kind of you to help out his mama at Christmas time! Merry Christmas Janet!

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:52 am
I got some bad news this morning. My cousins son was killed yesterday in a car accident. I only just met him this summer and at 18 years old was much too young to leave this earth.
Jackie I am so very sorry - I just have no words. My heart breaks for that young man's parents and the whole family.