Daily Check in Dec 23, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in Dec 23, 2017

Post by jckitty »

Good evening all,
Been a really busy day, I made the caramel corn and packed it for gifts, made a trip to town, DD needed gift cards and then to the library.
I have hauled in extra wood because we might get snow tomorrow or late tonight.
I have potatoes baking to take to dads for supper, making " fried " flounder, will serve with salad and cranberry salad.

I really don't have a lot to report, a quiet day ....just the way I like it.
Jackielou, so sorry to hear of your families loss. I will be praying for your families.
Have a great evening all,
JCKitty

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

It has been mostly another relaxing day. I baked cut-out sugar cookies for little guy to decorate when he gets here in about 45 minutes. I have a loaf of tomato-basil bread rising on the first rise.

I need to get supper started for me and the kiddo. I am making oven roasted vegetables - carrots, cabbage, potatoes, celery, onions, tomatoes - and we will have the homemade bread to go with it and of course Christmas Cookies!!!

I am hoping to keep the little guy up a little bit later than his usual 8:00 p.m. bedtime - I have to see what his dad thinks. With his various "issues" it is important to stick to a very regimented schedule but he has already had a busy and "off schedule" couple of days and he IS on Christmas break from school - so I will ask. I want to make popcorn and watch a Christmas movie with him - and there is just not enough time for everything if he has to go to bed at 8:00.

It is snowing for which I am glad. Love a white Christmas!

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon (almost evening) everyone,

Jackie I first want to offer my condolences to you and your family. It is always painful to lose a loved one around Christmas and even more tragic due to his tender age. May all your treasured memories give you comfort.

I am feeling very happy and content today. Oldest dd finally made it safely home after a 22 hour flight delay and an unexpected overnight stay in Toronto (with the hotel accommodation being at her expense). Not very happy with Air Canada to say the least, as she actually arrived in Toronto in time yesterday to make the connection but the computer had kicked her off the flight and sold her seat to another passenger. She was unable to get on the other 2 flights later in the evening or the early morning flight today either. Finally got on the 12:15 flight which was delayed by a couple of hours. Her best girlfriend from high school beat her here. She drove from a community around 300 miles from here and only has today and tomorrow to visit since she's back to work Christmas day. They haven't seen each other for about 4 years so it's wonderful for them to have a chance to visit. I do love having a full house!! I am grateful the roads were clear for dd's friend to drive safely and that everyone is able to be together.

The most exciting news I have to share is that I am officially retired! The last day of school was yesterday and even though I have been looking forward to this day for a long time, it was still rather bittersweet. Hopefully I will check into the forum more often. Aside from 2 half days at the beginning of the school year, I worked every day full time up until Christmas. I kept reminding myself it would help to build my pension and like the little train kept reminding myself "I Think I Can!" I find when I have an end in sight that I can accomplish almost anything. Many of my work colleagues were extremely surprised as I had not shared with many my intentions. But I feel the time had definitely come and am happy with my decision.

Well I must get dinner on the table and look forward to watching some Christmas movies this evening,

Creative

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:17 am
Good foggy morning all,

The potential cool down promised this weekend won't happen and we will have lovely warm frugal no heat/ac weather through the weekend. A cool down is predicted for New Year's eve though.

I have decided on my new oscillating multi tool. I will price it at Lowe's and also online. Online is not always cheaper. It is not the most expensive or the cheapest. Yesterday was a no spend day. Today will probably be a spend. I need dollar tree bacon, 12v batteries and zip ties as well. A stop at Aldi's maybe too. Depends on the crowds.

Yesterday, I had hoped that hubs would help me with my time issue. Instead, he blew up and said that if I used modern appliances like dryers instead of the clothes line, I would have more time and he said "I don't like vegetables either." :shock: What does that have to do with the issue? So I asked why he was so grumpy. No football on the TV? No he misses his Christmas cookies and fruitcake. I reminded him that he set his weight goal so low. Yeah, he said, but he still misses his treats. So no help from him.

I am sure that the time issue has to do with having to stop every couple of hours and tend to him that means no block of time long enough to get anything done. Well, I will try to get him to fill his own water cup and get his own afternoon snack. That will free up my day some. Children like to become independent, but old men prefer to remain children.

Yesterday, I decided to use my electric coffee grinder to grind up the dry egg shells into a fine powder. It was successful and they are in the garden mixed with the coffee grounds from Starbuck's. The green peppers are chopped and frozen and the freezer is looking good. Even after the fog lifted, the weather seems humid and cool, so I did inside things.

Today, I am grateful for coffee. It is such a nice way to start the day.

Well, time to get started on my day. Have a good one and a safe one if you are traveling everyone.
For the most part DH wants to do for himself...BUT ....

Since he has been sick Feb 2017 he has had me put his strip in his meter to test for his blood sugar, he does not like people near him, it's a very big change in personalty.

DH has been having a few bad days and nights, but at least he is letting me test his BS.

:cry:

but I do understand about your time.

right now DH is taking a nap in the family room,(it's where he sleeps, he has not slept upstairs since Feb 2017) he has asked me to stay until he wakes up. BB wants to walk, but it will have to wait.

IC

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:21 pm
alliesmama4 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:05 pm
I am wiped out but in a good way. My great nephew, 12 y/o, arrived yesterday at 6:00 AM and I took him home around 10:30 AM this morning. His Mom is a nurse and had a 14 hour day ahead of her. He is a great kid.. He asked me if it would be ok for him to clean the ashes out of my fireplace..I told him I wanted to build a fire in it for Christmas Eve but needed to clean it out first. He did a great job. He wanted to wash the bricks down but I told him the bottle said to keep out of the reach of children. He said he was not a child.. "I am a tween." lol. Then he asked if it would be ok to finish decorating my Christmas tree.. you bet.. go ahead. He then told me.." next year you call me and I will put your tree up for you." When I was making mac and cheese for lunch he asked if he could grate the cheese for me.. Wish he would come over more often..lol. I had a lot of errands to run so he went with me and stayed happily in the car with my doggie nephew.. The only thing is I blew my budget buying him a carryout pizza and some toasted ravioli. He woke me up to tell me he was going to bed and good night.. I fell asleep in my recliner watch TV. Then this morning told him I would be taking him home around 10:00 AM. At 9:45 AM he called his Mom to let her know when we would be leaving and at 9:55 AM he had his suitcase packed and was putting on his coat and gloves. He is an amazing young man.

I awoke to SNOW! There was a chance of a dusting or maybe 1 " we got 2". I plugged in the tree and was a happy camper. Seems more like Christmas now.. We have been having days in the 50's. After breakfast my nephew asked if he could go out on the deck. He threw snowballs and then made small snowmen all around the patio table. He wanted to know if I had raisins for eyes. No but I did have dates that were in small cubes. He packed snow around the base of where the umbrella comes up the the table to make a Christmas tree. I got caught up in the fun and gave him food coloring to dye the tree green and to make splashes of color for ornaments. I have a gold Christmas swag that has stars on it so I cut a big one off for the top and then the smaller ones we attached with tooth picks..Had to stretch out yesterday afternoon not to sleep but needed to rest. He kept himself busy on his tablet. When I did get up he asked if my battery was all recharged.. He is such a fun kid and a brain at school too. He is in 6th grade but in advanced classes some on a 10th grade level. Wish I has a 12 y/0 boy around all the time.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, your great nephew sounds like one amazing youngster! So glad you got to enjoy his company and it was kind of you to help out his mama at Christmas time! Merry Christmas Janet!
Sheila Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your guy. Love, Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:59 pm
Good afternoon (almost evening) everyone,

Jackie I first want to offer my condolences to you and your family. It is always painful to lose a loved one around Christmas and even more tragic due to his tender age. May all your treasured memories give you comfort.

I am feeling very happy and content today. Oldest dd finally made it safely home after a 22 hour flight delay and an unexpected overnight stay in Toronto (with the hotel accommodation being at her expense). Not very happy with Air Canada to say the least, as she actually arrived in Toronto in time yesterday to make the connection but the computer had kicked her off the flight and sold her seat to another passenger. She was unable to get on the other 2 flights later in the evening or the early morning flight today either. Finally got on the 12:15 flight which was delayed by a couple of hours. Her best girlfriend from high school beat her here. She drove from a community around 300 miles from here and only has today and tomorrow to visit since she's back to work Christmas day. They haven't seen each other for about 4 years so it's wonderful for them to have a chance to visit. I do love having a full house!! I am grateful the roads were clear for dd's friend to drive safely and that everyone is able to be together.

The most exciting news I have to share is that I am officially retired! The last day of school was yesterday and even though I have been looking forward to this day for a long time, it was still rather bittersweet. Hopefully I will check into the forum more often. Aside from 2 half days at the beginning of the school year, I worked every day full time up until Christmas. I kept reminding myself it would help to build my pension and like the little train kept reminding myself "I Think I Can!" I find when I have an end in sight that I can accomplish almost anything. Many of my work colleagues were extremely surprised as I had not shared with many my intentions. But I feel the time had definitely come and am happy with my decision.

Well I must get dinner on the table and look forward to watching some Christmas movies this evening,

Creative
MrsCreative.. Congrat on your retirement.. Enjoy knowing you worked hard to get to where you are..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama