Pick ONE Grocery Store

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Pick ONE Grocery Store

Post by MackerelCat »

Definitely Save-a-Lot. It is clean, well organized, has a butcher on premises, and a good range of products. Beyond the town border is Aldi, where the milk, cheese, eggs, cereal and staples are always excellent. Produce is good if you look carefully.
Mackie
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Easy answer for me - we already do about 90% of our shopping at Aldis already. I don't buy meat at the grocery store so that isn't an issue for me. Although I have picked up the odd package of ground beef and on sale lobster tails at Aldis and they were both fine.

They don't have absolutely everything like a regular grocery store - but I understand they are in the middle of an upgrade to be stocked with more items like regular grocery items. You absolutely can beat them on pricing in our area. Walmart here is ok food wise, but unlike other areas this one is costly. I seldom see a grocery item there that I cannot get cheaper at Aldis or a loss leader at other stores.

We also have Schnucks, County Market, Shop & Save, Meijers and Hyvee. Meijer's is the best for loss leaders. Hyvee,Schnuck and Meijers are too expensive for regular shopping. Sorry guys - I am rattling.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Adam's Fairacre Farms. Groceries and plants. They have their own farms...the produce is SO fresh AND cheaper than any other store. Their meats and chicken are fresh and comparably priced. They offer organic.
Much smaller than a big grocery store. Some things are more expensive.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

jckitty wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:47 pm In my area it would be hands down....Aldi's.
I do 80%+ of my shopping at Aldi's, I LOVE them. I can't wait for our store to be remodeled! They're supposed to have some fresh-baked bakery items.

I now realize that I picked my IGA as the one grocery store I'd choose over the others, even though it can cost a little more and has less selection....because my IGA has the best PERSONALITY, LOL
ohjodi
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

Ingles. Sometimes Food City. Ingles is closer and by shopping sales as cheap as Aldi on he things I buy. Both stores are mostly in the Southern states.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Just found out today that we are getting a save-a-lot, it is going into an empty Marsh (regional) grocery store building. We lost the 2 Marsh stores in town in 2017.
The area it is coming to would be considered a "food desert", lots of lower income people and they used to be able to walk to the Marsh store. This is very good news as we just don't have a lot of grocery stores.
I am looking forward to trying the save a lot. I know my prices pretty well so will do some run thru" s and try it out.
I am very happy to have a store in that part of town, they really need it.
JCKitty