Daily Check in Jan 4, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Jan 4, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:00 pm Hi all,
I turned 66 today!
Had a fun birthday...then dinner with DH...kids and grandkids. Perfect!
Always grateful for another year.
Christmas Trees Happy Birthday to you.. Glad you had a fun birthday..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:00 pm Hi all,
I turned 66 today!
Had a fun birthday...then dinner with DH...kids and grandkids. Perfect!
Always grateful for another year.
Happy Birthday!
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Evening Friends,

I slept way in this morning, until 7:00. Still made it to work on time which was good as I am temporarily a department of ONE. My coworker has pneumonia and my boss's father has been hospitalized so just me holding down the fort.

Hoping we all make it through the next few days safe and sound. Wind chills are going to be as low as -30 below zero here from tonight through Sunday. I am as prepared as I can be. Water is dripping in the kitchen sink and the cabinet door is propped open.

I am prepared to walk to work tomorrow if I have to - in case my car won't start. It won't be pleasant but I have good boots, several scarves, gloves (will double up on gloves and socks) and a warm coat that is big enough to wear a jacket underneath.

My outside cats have been brought INSIDE. Oh I did NOT want to - I hate cats in the house and I hate having to deal with kitty litter - but I could not leave my poor girls out there. They are in the spare room with the baby kittens - from the sounds of it, all are getting along. I will put the heat on in there tonight just a little bit.

I left the gate to the shed where my outdoor cats were wide open in case the stray cats want to take advantage of it. I put extra straw in the cat shelters that are out there and put some food out there as well, in addition to the food I always leave out in various places. I do hope they find the shelter and make use of it.

Well time to turn the heat on for the cats (I can NOT believe I'm saying that, good grief!! I'm only turning it on to 50) and in my bedroom as well. Goodnight friends. Please take care of yourselves.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 pm Good Evening Friends,

I slept way in this morning, until 7:00. Still made it to work on time which was good as I am temporarily a department of ONE. My coworker has pneumonia and my boss's father has been hospitalized so just me holding down the fort.

Hoping we all make it through the next few days safe and sound. Wind chills are going to be as low as -30 below zero here from tonight through Sunday. I am as prepared as I can be. Water is dripping in the kitchen sink and the cabinet door is propped open.

I am prepared to walk to work tomorrow if I have to - in case my car won't start. It won't be pleasant but I have good boots, several scarves, gloves (will double up on gloves and socks) and a warm coat that is big enough to wear a jacket underneath.

My outside cats have been brought INSIDE. Oh I did NOT want to - I hate cats in the house and I hate having to deal with kitty litter - but I could not leave my poor girls out there. They are in the spare room with the baby kittens - from the sounds of it, all are getting along. I will put the heat on in there tonight just a little bit.

I left the gate to the shed where my outdoor cats were wide open in case the stray cats want to take advantage of it. I put extra straw in the cat shelters that are out there and put some food out there as well, in addition to the food I always leave out in various places. I do hope they find the shelter and make use of it.

Well time to turn the heat on for the cats (I can NOT believe I'm saying that, good grief!! I'm only turning it on to 50) and in my bedroom as well. Goodnight friends. Please take care of yourselves.
Sheila glad you brought the girls in from outside.. I know it will be rough on you keeping things clean but it shows your kind heart. I do hope your car starts tomorrow it is too cold for anyone to be out in that weather no matter how much they bundle up. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Thanks Sheila

Stay warm!

Maybe one day you can come spend the winter down here at the beach in south texas. Wouldn't that be fun!
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

Hi, all.

I've been "walkabout" again for several months, and I'm sorry for that. In some senses, a lot has happened, and in other respects, not much has changed.

I'm in wait-and-see mode with my disability application. My fibro has gotten worse, but has stabilized. In other words, I'm worse than I was, but I've been the same for a while now. Insomnia is a HUGE problem for me right now, though, so I have three or four different sleep remedies that I keep in rotation. (I only take them when I have to get up the next morning or when I'm really restless.) Other than that, my health is pretty good.

I had to put down my favorite kitty cat last night, Toranaga (Tori.) It was a shock, and it was all very sudden. A few days ago, he stopped eating. I thought he was just having trouble adjusting to his thyroid medication. He looked really bad a few nights ago, so I took him to the emergency vet out here. He stayed a couple of days, and they did blood work. His blood work was fine, so I figured maybe they could get him eating again, and they gave him fluids. Then the vet recommended an ultrasound, "just to make sure there' s nothing else going on." WELL...Come to find out he had lymphosarcoma! I lost another cat to that back in June, as you all probably remember. In Tori's case, it was much worse. His lymph nodes were "very enlarged," and he WAS in pain. :( When he did not start eating again, D and I made the decision that the best thing we could do--the most compassionate--was to let him go. It was really, really hard, and my heart is broken, but he is no longer suffering. I opted to have him cremated, and they will be sending me his ashes. He was my Heart Kitty.

I have picked up a part time (under the table) job helping out at a cat rescue. I basically just feed, water, and clean up after the cats. I love them all. On a VOLUNTEER basis, I help out with the laundry, I take photos of the cats and post them to instagram, and I have offered to help out with fundraising and social media. It's a really good rescue, and I really like the two ladies who run it. Their adoption numbers are very good, and the cats are all very happy cats, which is always a good sign.

My job in DC will be phasing me out. :( They are aware that I am becoming more disabled, and they are concerned about my safety on the commute between DC and WV, so they are looking for someone local (and probably cheaper.) Once they find someone, I will train that person, and then they will move me to remote projects--piece work--and I guess eventually just phase me out completely. There's no timeline. I'm not really mad. I can advertise for other clients, once I have a timeline, and I actually kind of want my time back, anyway. Between that and my work with the cat rescue, I get really worn out.

D and I are making more friends out here, so we're settling in a little better. We tend to have something going on every week now, socially. We hosted a holiday party on the 23rd and had about 17 people over. It was great!

That's all I have for now. I have some work to do for my DC client, but I've been missing the forum, so I thought I'd drop in and say "hi!"

Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com