Sewing Skills

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Sewing Skills

Post by colonialgirl »

I learned from my mother as a little girl. She made everything in our house - my clothes, her clothes, my sisters wedding dress, curtains, etc. By junior high school I was making my own clothes. I made my best friends wedding dress in college. And you know what - I HATE TO SEW!. I only did so because I am frugal and want to save money by making curtains, dust ruffles and bed spreads, etc.

Now I seldom sew now because I hate it. I might run up a tear on a seam or hem pants, but that is it. I would rather drive a nail through my foot that sit down at a machine.

As far as $ savings, this is my favorite story. I went to Ethan Allen to decorate my master bed room years ago. I picked out a beautiful toile fabric and wanted 3 pair of drapes, a spread and dust ruffle made and a chair upholstered to match. This was 1979 and they quoted me $3000. Yeah right. I couldn't have if I wanted to.

But I found the same toile fabric at Fabric Warehouse and asked if they could get me more and they could, so I ordered a full bolt and bought what they already had. I bought trim for the spread and drapes. My mama gave me her old wing chair & I signed up for an upholstery course ($25) and upholstered that chair. I was able to recreate the same room for less than $125. Now did it look as good as EA? I am sure not, but it looked fine and unless you sat their craftsmanship side by side with mine, you never would have known it. I know theirs would not have been 2900 nicer.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I started out teaching myself. Both of my grandmother's sewed. My Mom would only do Halloween costumes and drapes. LOL!. Then right after we were married, Ex was working nights. The local public school's adult education had a sewing class that I took. It filled in the holes. I am not good enough to make clothing and it does not seem worth the it. But I have made repairs. I used to patch DSs' uniform pants. I had to put the patch on the inside. Or I cut the legs off and hemmed them for shorts.

I enjoy quilting and craft-type sewing.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

My dad taught me to sew when I was very young, 8-9 years old. I got really into it for awhile. I made toys, pillows, blankets, quilts etc. I did make some clothing when I was a teen, but fortunately I was counter-cultural enough that it didn't matter that it wasn't good. In HS I took home ec and made some nicer stuff-really pretty pillows, more refined quilts, boxers and pajama pants.

I have a sewing machine that I dig out every few years. I'll use to make some basic things: tote bags, a quilt for my sister for her birthday (it was a denim quilt with jean scraps with a big horse print on the other side), pillows. Generally, I sew on buttons, mend holes and darn socks. I can do a hem, but not well. I think it would take a lot of work to get good. That being said, I do save a good amount of money. I have socks that have lasted a decade because I keep mending them.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I could not fit Home Ec into my schedule. I guess I was on the Prep track, so there was no room. I took math and science all 4 years. That is somewhat of a shame.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

My Mom can make anything, and did. My clothes, hers, curtains, drapes, tablecloths, napkins, my first wedding dress, prom dress, dresses for formal events with an exBF who was military.

I took home ec, made a skirt and a blouse.

I own a sewing machine but I can't remember why. I know it was purchased as an adult.

I can't sew a straight line to save my life, by hand or by machine.

LIQUID STITCH, Sheila. It saves fingers and sanity :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Oh, rats, this has reminded me I need to hem a new pair of pajama bottoms for DH. I don't know where Lands End gets the idea that everyone is 6' 4" - the average is below that!

I used to be able to hem by hand. We'll see if I have any fingers NOT covered in bandaids when this is over.