Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

Post by Dgflorida »

I intend to use mine to store frozen meat. I buy in bulk and repackage for meals using reusable storage containers. At Thanksgiving time when the turkeys are on sale, I buy 3 which is all I can get into the freezer. I will be able to buy more now. I have no room right now for broths or soups. Frustrating. And some vegetables like onions, green peppers and the like, I chop and freeze. Easy to add to meals that way. Thanks for telling me your experiences.
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

I am really glad this subject got brought up as I have been pondering the decision to buy a small chest freezer and put overstock meats I buy inside it along with other goodies I catch on sale (bread, eggs, cheese). It is just the two of us now and I have actually been trying one meatless meal each week (so far so good, DH hasn't noticed) but I still am on the fence with my final decision. It is good to see everyone else's opinion on this.
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm Just want to add that Erin just did a great post on this on her blogs. Her freezer inventory sheets are the same ones I use and are vital to keep on track of things. She also has great printable labels for freezer ingredients and meals.

She truly is the Amy Dacyzyn of our time.
For anyone who is interested, here's a link to the aforementioned freezer inventory list and labels: https://www.myfrugalhome.com/printable- ... tory-list/
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 am I am considering buying a small separate freezer. Some of you have one. Are you happy with your choice? Did it meet your expectations? Would you make a different choice today?
I will always have two freezers from here on out. It is such a great tool.

DH bought me one a couple of years ago and I can't imagine living with just the tiny one attached to the frig.

We put up so much produce in season, manager's special meats, and meal prep. So worth it.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 am I am really glad this subject got brought up as I have been pondering the decision to buy a small chest freezer and put overstock meats I buy inside it along with other goodies I catch on sale (bread, eggs, cheese). It is just the two of us now and I have actually been trying one meatless meal each week (so far so good, DH hasn't noticed) but I still am on the fence with my final decision. It is good to see everyone else's opinion on this.
We are just two and it is still so worthwhile. Maybe more so. We can cook up a larger container of ground beef, then package in meal-sized portions and freeze for later. We get convenience and the cost savings from bulk purchases that wouldn't be as accessible if we were restrained to our frig attached freezer.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I have two refrigerators and a large chest freezer and they are always full. I store dry foods like grains and nuts in the refrigerator so they last longer.

Bev