Kindness

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Kindness

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you Jackielou. I miss basic kindness and I appreciate offers to help especially when loading blocks at Home Depot.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Sheila, I am so glad you met a good neighbor! They are a blessing, for sure. We have a lovely and kind woman next door, and she's the best neighbor we ever had. A little kindness goes such a long way.
Patty
Happychoice

Post by Happychoice »

Sheila, it's wonderful to hear you speak so positively about your neighbour's kindness. There are still some people out there who do things without expecting a reward in return.

Next week, a group that I belong to will be delivering coffee and Timbits (doughnut holes if you are from an area unfamiliar with the Tim Horton's coffee chain) to the firehall closest to our meeting place as a thank you to them for keeping our neighbourhood safe. It's a small gesture but one we think will be appreciated.

Connie
Happiness is a choice!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:52 am Basic Kindness has been underrated for years. It seems to have almost disappeared.

I love it when someone other than Hubby opens the door for me or holds the door open.

I am glad you have someone who just wants to be a good neighbour.
Why do you think kindness has almost disappeared? I was just saying to dh like it is just me,me,me everywhere you go esp nowadays-the older people are not as bad-like Idk if it is manners maybe? I have taught all of my kids from when they were little to say thank you and you are welcome and to hold doors for others-but even that people used to say thank you when you open the door for them, but even now I notice people just go in and do not say anything and like it is expected you open it for them and now even older people. Also people cut lines all the time and bring family members with them-I remember we waited a long time like hour for a Disney ride and someone just cut right in front of me all of a sudden with her daughter and giggling and I am not one to stand down,I said excuse me you cannot cut the line-there was probably another 30 min wait from where we were(Small World). I got confused when she said I let others go ahead of me bc I was waiting for someone-then my daughter shook her head to say no but that woman would not get out of line still. My dh told me to forget it and not argue about it(I was polite I did not argue-just said it factually)-just thought it was rude but I did not want to ruin our vacation.

My dh does things for our neighbors all the time. He cleans the street if he sees wrappers,water bottles,etc (ours is at the end of a court so everything blows down this way) and he says you have to keep your neighborhood clean. He tends to the flowers and plants in the parking area. Our neighbor's dh died and we helped them during the last months and help her now with garbages, and watching over her,etc. But really, they smiled at us all these years and were friendly as we were but they cheated us out of our land to fit her motorhome they moved the fence line out about 10 inches or so all the way and we have a long fence line-when I did address it she lied to us and said it was hers all along-I have pictures before we moved in(we are the first owners of our house and she was the first owner of hers and before us) and measurements. But she said she was going to do the fence at her expense so I figured a couple of thousand dollars at least so go ahead since she took over my side. BUT I tell dh I get mad when I think she lied and tried to put one over us-I do not use that part of the land but it does cut our visual to the outside as it is a narrow corner to begin with. Anyways, when her dh was dying we put all that aside,and just helped them anyway-life is too short to hold grudges. We have helped many elderly in our area(we are the young-uns-or so we like to think-lol but no one else helps out here and stays in their homes or just says hi-which is sad-before it was more interactive when we had smaller kids). One day I drove by and saw the elderly lady on the floor as I drove by and she was sandwiched between garbage cans. I drove right by and saw that so I backed up my car-I was not sure if she had fallen or something else-so I got out of the car and she was stuck there for awhile-I was thinking does her dh not know she is missing outside somewhere and go and check on her!? Anyway I helped her up and got her back safely in the house, now as I get older and not as flexible and I can only imagine! I am working on my own flexibility right now so I stay limber! But that is scary esp when their children live far away. She was very grateful! We need to do our part to look after the elderly and each other!

Lol-as I am typing this, my neighbor came over and brought us a huge bag of fresh oranges from her friend's tree! Since we helped her with her dh, she has been even more nicer (we still did not fight her over the property we just let her have that sliver of land since she did the fence since we did not have the money to spare-although no more motorhome-sold for only 25k-fairly new and she lost 75k on it at a loss) so I guess kindness goes a long way to change people I hope! My other side's neighbor was so nice and treated us like family but he passed now-his family who lived elsewhere were grateful we watched over them and they were so nice to us too. One dd gave me a Gucci sunglasses (she worked optical) as a thank you for always helping them. I give free nursing services for anyone here who needs help-changing colostomy bags or moving them(dh does that since my back) or even cleaning them if they cannot manage.