I took the plunge

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: I took the plunge

Post by SandiSAHM »

snowangel729 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:34 pm We plan to buy supplies and books upfront and not use the loan for that. I am also currently working and plan to work while in school.
DH is in a master's program...

Everywhere you can, RENT textbooks instead of buying. We compare buying from the bookstore to buying online to renting, from either Chegg or Amazon (strange but true, Amazon rents textbooks). Over the course of his last degree and the start of this one I know we've saved (his employer, because he gets the $ back - would your employer help, do they have tuition assistance?) several hundred $$ renting instead of buying and buying when we had to but not ONCE at the school because they price gouge.

The other upside of renting? When the class is over, the book goes back. No sitting around collecting dust, no having to take pennies on the dollar at the book store. With both vendors shipping to/from is free.
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 pm

DH is in a master's program...

Everywhere you can, RENT textbooks instead of buying. We compare buying from the bookstore to buying online to renting, from either Chegg or Amazon (strange but true, Amazon rents textbooks). Over the course of his last degree and the start of this one I know we've saved (his employer, because he gets the $ back - would your employer help, do they have tuition assistance?) several hundred $$ renting instead of buying and buying when we had to but not ONCE at the school because they price gouge.

The other upside of renting? When the class is over, the book goes back. No sitting around collecting dust, no having to take pennies on the dollar at the book store. With both vendors shipping to/from is free.
Sadly my job doesnt offer financial help due to the fact that my masters will be in counseling and they only offer assistance to those in nursing school. DH and I have talked about renting, I was checking out amazons prices today on books.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Look in to Cash4Books.com they buy and sell text books. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

This does not particularly apply to you, but is food for thought.
My DS#2 planned to get his masters. He was a Major in the Air force and needed it to become a colonel. He decided not to get the masters degree. He got out of the Air force and is doing something he loves and is rapidly become a very good source of income.

My first cousin got a BS and wasn't happy with her options. She went to Harvard and got a Masters in maritial counseling. She has a fairly large practice with employees. She is 80 and says she will never be able to retire, says she can't afford it.

BeckyO
Last edited by BeckyO on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good luck.
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

I am glad to hear you are taking steps to finish your degree and even better that you have the nod of support from your DH. Sometimes finding yourself in a crummy situation, like this unpleasant job, is just the shot in the arm of motivation to jump start you on a new path.

I agree with what everyone else mentions about looking to rent books as cheap as possible and finishing your degree while your tot is still a young one so you can be in a better and more rewarding spot in the future. I know you will find a way to make your work/school/home schedule work. It will take some adjustments which will take you out of your comfort zone but it will be worth it in the end. Always keep your eye on the final prize.

My only word of caution is to take a real good look at the cost of what your future schooling will add up to versus the kinds of jobs you would like to apply for versus the amount of pay these jobs will provide. I have seen some people rack up some crazy school loan debt only to find their particular market saturated with everyone else looking for the same work and find the jobs are few and far between and then find the pay has dropped because there are soooo many others just like them searching for this same work.

I think you are doing the right thing by bettering yourself and your family and will turn over every rock, so to speak, to make sure it all happens as frugally as possible. Best wishes :)