Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:34 am
Jackielou wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am
snowangel729 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 am Well, we got snow here too. However our roads iced and I had to call in because DH and I couldn't make it up the road. Since I work for a hospital, they told me calling in would result in an automatic write up since hospital staff are required to be there... even if they are a secretary. So spending the day at home and hoping to get out tomorrow. After one write up, I cant afford another one.

Hoping you all stay warm!
That sounds like the schools in my province, however, since we never shut down here in my city (parents always seem to find a way to get their children to school) we just get there even if we have to walk (I have met a taxi at the corner of our street and a busier road a few times).

Seems like safety for others is not on the books for anyone.
Around here (SW Ohio), the err on the side of caution. They close school when wind chills are forecasted to be below 0. We just don't get it often enough to be well-equipped to dress for it. They worry about kids walking or waiting for the school bus. Last year we did not get anymore now than a dusting, so when we got snow this year, they closed. Now if we keep getting snow, the more urban districts will be less likely to close now that we have had practice driving in it. But there are rural districts where they don't get plows or slat trucks out to that they worry about buses traveling.
Seems as if it doesn't matter here. We had a death of a student years ago because their parents dropped him off and the school wasn't open (didn't pay attention to the radio I guess). Now we open no matter what unless there is a water main break (that has only happened once and we needed to phone parents to come and pick up their child). There were some days I wondered if I would make it home or if my vehicle would start.

When the busses don't run parents bring their children or arrange for another ride.

We do keep the students in when the temperature falls to a certain level.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am Def sending good thoughts your way Clem, if only cos you are a slave to those dawgs ;)

Leave them with the COD and get yourself on a plane this Spring ! 2018 is for YOU , remember ?

(I too have pets, not a pet hater here)

So sad hearing Beckys news reading yesterdays thread. So tough to have a child of yours so ill. Love you Becky !!! Really admire her as well.

Home after a grind at work. There is a lot of STUFF going on and its wearing. But I'm very low mood all round.

On the bright side I have now lost 10lbs at WeightWatchers. Booyah, yay me. I bought a 3 month membership cos you got 1 month FREE. I have been religious in my eating and its paying off. I was a little paranoid after the 8lb loss that it would all bounce straight back as a blip so very relieved to have lost a more realistic 2lb this week. Bring It ON.

SOme WW recipes are great , others , BLEUGH.

Banana " pancakes" made with smooshed banana and an egg only are AMAZING and fill any sweet tooth.

Tomorrow will be celeriac topped fish pie as I hit a MOTHERLODE of YELLOW STICKERS. Spent £20 got over £50 of food. ...........celery, little gem lettuce,pears all manner of breads, wraps, low fat bagels etc etc and a whole load of FISH. Really nice stuff too, smoked cod, undyed haddock, prawns. I also got the main food shop for the weekend done now so we have the weekend FREE. DH suggests a visit to an National Trust property, ( historical houses, parklands etc ) we are members so it would be FREE.

He suggested AVEBURY, which is a poor mans Stonehenge. Yep they are all old stones but these have been PLACED here as opposed to Stonehenge which is original. Its a very lovely place though and good for walks, not with the dog mind you as its wall to wall sheep. We weren't members when we last visited and had a meltdown at being asked £7 (!!!!!! :shock: :o :shock: ) to park in a gravel area with potholes. It is ye quaint olde village so there isn't anywhere else to park. Now we are NT it will be FREE. I shall ignore ye olde café........we took salads with us last weekend when we went to see our DGD ice skate, frugal and weight loss too !

Today a friend gave me a clearout from her college age DDS room, all her craft stuff. Its beading supplies and yarn, stuff I don't have so that was great ! Perfect for my craft group ! FREE is good.

Menus have been porridge or WEETABIX or eggs............weekend was scrambled eggs and I crumbled two rashers of bacon over it for us both. YUM. Had with a thick slice of good bread. I am NOT eating "Light" bread. Yuck. So that's breakfast.

Lunches basically fresh salads........all kinds , all good. With fresh fruit for something sweet.

Dinners, omelettes, lots of fish , lots of vegetables, home made thin sliced potato wedges, sprayed with alittel sunflower oil then baked, chicken , its all been good a decent variety. Lots of beans as well.

Today DH spent the day at the allotment then came home and made a HUGE pot of minestrone. It is GOOD. No bacon ( obviously ) but tastes very rich.

All the best guys especially if you are stuck in the cold x
Rinty congrats on your weight loss.. I lost a lot of weight when I was on WW in my 20's. Yes some of the recipes are really good. Not sure if you have spaghetti squash in your country? When my SIL was on WW my brother use to grow spaghetti squash and then they would put it on hay bales in their barn and she would have it all through the winter. I had some a while back in place of regular spaghetti pasta. Today I just finished the last of my spaghetti squash lasagna. Anyway was not sure if you would be interested in growing some in your garden.

I use to have, years ago when I went to the UK every other year, a card which I think was like the NT.. I remember showing it at the Tower of London and the Beef eater was really impressed that I had one. It does save a lot of money..Enjoy your historical sites.. I wish I had the energy and the money to come back and visit all of the amazing sites I read about in my history books. I loved when I went there and would see a plaque that might state.. on this spot such and such happened. It makes things more real for me when I read a history book or biography. . Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

itspennyc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am I am really beginning to feel better. Yesterday I did a fair amount some of which I had not planned. I did one load of wash it is already put away. The last few days while I was not feeling well I just left it in the basket. Clean was more important then away at the time.

I finished loading and set off the dishwasher. Just after it went into the drying cycle I discovered it was leaking. I mopped it up, I washed the rest of my the yesterday dishes by hand.

I will call it into the office when they open. They were closed yesterday because of the ice.

Today I will read and knit. I have been going back and forth between a shawl and my daughter’s Birthday present.

I also would like to dig out my sweater and see if I can finish it.

Penny
Penny,

One time our dishwasher was leaking, but that was because I had not pushed the trays all the way in. Now I make sure that the trays are pushed all of the way in.

IC
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

Clem, sending good thoughts your way. Try to ignore your neighbor.

This morning I did yard work at mom’s house, trimming and raking leaves. I got four bags done before I started to get cold. Mom’s backyard gets the morning sun so it was warm enough to work in just my shirtsleeves. But now the wind has picked up. It may drop to freezing over night but won’t stay for long in my area so I think the plants will be OK, not like a few years ago.

I brought home two more items, a delicate porcelain coffee pot that goes with dessert plates I brought home last week. They were my great grandmother’s on my mom’s father’s side. And I opened a box and saw a beautiful bowl with gold trim and a matching plate. The box is from a gift shop in Lancaster, PA so the items are probably not too valuable but I like them. I never remember seeing them and sadly don’t know their history.

For the past few months I have not received printed telephone bills. The bill is on autopay so I see the total but prefer a written bill and called about it today. It irked me that the guy was most interested in selling me other services. I also got the roof warranty on mom’s house transferred to my name.

Stay warm and safe.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning, 18 and sunny at the moment.

Thinking about Becky and her DD, too ...

Braved the cold last night to see "Murder on the Orient Express" at the second-run theater (Tuesday tickets are $1.75). I enjoyed it ... had quite a well-known cast. (So did the 1970s version, if memory serves.) Ended up eating at the noodle place, but had coupons for free appetizers ... the appetizer portions are big enough for a meal, so I figure we got 4 meals for the price of 2.)

Gas bill came ... not as bad as I expected; we'll see what next month's looks like. :o

Otherwise, laundry, some paperwork. Making some headway on my fabric organization project. DH is still sending out applications ... a friend of his works at a company he applied to. He says they haven't started to look at candidates to fill the job ...
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LWolfT wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Braved the cold last night to see "Murder on the Orient Express" at the second-run theater (Tuesday tickets are $1.75). I enjoyed it ... had quite a well-known cast. (So did the 1970s version, if memory serves.)
I really want to see this so I’m happy to see your positive comments. I missed it at the theatre so will probably have to wait until Redbox or Netflix.