Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

Post by icfrugal1 »

frugalmom wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm Glad you are feeling better Penney! Hope everyone stays warm and healthy esp this dreadful flu season! The boy I carpool is STILL coughing and not wearing anything warm-really he is off and on sick since the summer(our only cold for the summer) and then most recently since the holidays (like Thanksgiving and Christmas when he got us all sick!) and this morning STILL coughing-with people who are healthy like personal trainers and marathon runners and relatively young people it is scary! I just want him better!

Today Preston's friend coming over bc I have to carpool the boys to a bb game for school and then we have to go right after to his local team's basketball practice and pick up another three boys on the way there. We will be eating again in the car for dinner. Preston and his friend coming for lunch to eat at home before the first game since early day release.
Preston got hurt at a practice and his knee comes and goesi n pain but today it is bothering him-think he is overdoing it bc he goes to as many practices like all of them as he can-school,local team,AAU team(famous one everyone strives to get into bc one of the best and NBA players come from it-always ranked top 10-usually like 1-4),new SF AAU team(fairly new team but really good coaching and in two years already ranked). High school coaches already asking me what his plans are-have a few to choose from but some are far away and he will have to live with grandma or uncle or I commute far-I don;t know if I can live without him with him being so young! He is MY BABY!He just cut his hair so short-lol-someone said he looks like a 10 year old now!
You are SO nice, (not surprised) as someone fighting a colds, who has a DH with a bad health system, I would be very tempted to tell the parents that he needs to ride with someone else.

But, I know how nice you are, but shouldn't your family come first?

IC (I know that i am showing my true selfish self)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm Well, better late than never!

I was having a pretty nice relaxing day at home after I went out and did my frugal food shopping for the week. Sat and chatted online with an old coworker who has moved to the other end of the state. We both used to work at the big hospital up north so we caught back up on old times and sharing the latest of what is going on in each other's lives.

I had started in on doing my housecleaning and instead found myself in a lot of pain in my lower abdomen. I've had my appendix out so that couldn't be the issue. Went on into the local urgent care and they did an exam and a bunch of tests and really didn't tell me what was wrong, lol. I will have to wait a couple of days for results of testing to come back. Well....I guess they didn't find anything life threatening with me so I guess I will wait :? In the end I just drove home and took some mild pain medication and am resting a bit. What a strange afternoon! I am feeling a bit better but I sure have no idea what that was about (other than I am allergic to housework :lol: )

I got home late and just ate some tasty leftovers and bundled up in my cozy flannel pajamas and robe. DH was concerned but I assured him I will be fine. I did make a nice meal plan for the week and, other than driving to the urgent care, have been trying to cut back on the amount of driving I am doing to save on gas. I still need to fine tune my trips so I am not finding myself backtracking all over town and can just get my errands done in one big sweep.

I can tell the temps have dropped around here and now the rain showers have started back up. I am just glad to be in an area that seems to be avoiding all the freezing temps. Would hate to drive in all that.

Well, that is the latest. Everyone take care and stay warm and dry.
Pork Chop if they do not find anything after your test it might be the same thing that happened to me and still does at times.. After all kinds of tests my DR sent me to a GYN Dr due to the area of pain and all other test being negative. He determined it was scar tissue from my appendectomy.. Sometimes if I overwork or turn just the wrong way it will aggravate the surgery site.. It usually goes away in a few days.Depending on the pain I will take something for the pain ie a pain pill or Tylenol etc.. Hope it is something along the same line for you.. It was scary to have the pain and not know what the cause was but now I know and treat accordingly.. Good luck, Janet Alliesmama.
Janet Alliesmama
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

I am scheduled to go in this morning for an ultrasound to see what might be the cause of all this pain. It just happens periodically. Last time it happened I rolled over in bed while I was asleep and BOOM the pain woke me up right away. I got up and sat on the couch of a couple of hours. And it was Christmas so no urgent care or anyone open on that day. I guess I could've gone to the ER but it didn't seem life threatening, just painful.

I also had a hysterectomy many years back and wonder if there is scar tissue that I occasionally yank on that could cause this too. I am hoping this appointment this morning can provide some answers!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

icfrugal1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:29 pm
frugalmom wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm Glad you are feeling better Penney! Hope everyone stays warm and healthy esp this dreadful flu season! The boy I carpool is STILL coughing and not wearing anything warm-really he is off and on sick since the summer(our only cold for the summer) and then most recently since the holidays (like Thanksgiving and Christmas when he got us all sick!) and this morning STILL coughing-with people who are healthy like personal trainers and marathon runners and relatively young people it is scary! I just want him better!

Today Preston's friend coming over bc I have to carpool the boys to a bb game for school and then we have to go right after to his local team's basketball practice and pick up another three boys on the way there. We will be eating again in the car for dinner. Preston and his friend coming for lunch to eat at home before the first game since early day release.
Preston got hurt at a practice and his knee comes and goesi n pain but today it is bothering him-think he is overdoing it bc he goes to as many practices like all of them as he can-school,local team,AAU team(famous one everyone strives to get into bc one of the best and NBA players come from it-always ranked top 10-usually like 1-4),new SF AAU team(fairly new team but really good coaching and in two years already ranked). High school coaches already asking me what his plans are-have a few to choose from but some are far away and he will have to live with grandma or uncle or I commute far-I don;t know if I can live without him with him being so young! He is MY BABY!He just cut his hair so short-lol-someone said he looks like a 10 year old now!
You are SO nice, (not surprised) as someone fighting a colds, who has a DH with a bad health system, I would be very tempted to tell the parents that he needs to ride with someone else.

But, I know how nice you are, but shouldn't your family come first?

IC (I know that i am showing my true selfish self)
Well thank you. We both come from a different school district (a horrible one with 33% national math scores!) and we go to a better one not that far,but in the next city over. So we were carpooling from the very beginning, but as his mom is working more like every weekday, I kind of got stuck with driving everyday for the past school year.

Actually, now my son made the bb team and this time the other boy did not (he was on the team last year, so it was fine last year) but no one can pick him up, so he stays to watch them practice or watch a game -otherwise, I would make two trips back and forth after school. And since we(dh and I) both are not working,gas is expensive, so I try to limit to after practice or games,but I do feel bad for the kid and bc he must feel bad since he did not make the team. So I go back and forth should I just drive two times after school and pick him up separately since if it was my kid I would appreciate that but then I think about the gas and sometimes i treat both of the kids. Normally I would not even think that and think it is petty,but now we have to be ultra tight in our spending,but I do not want to ask for gas money either bc it seems so petty to me-so I wrestle with this. She also has a sister in the area he could walk to but she also works-everyone is working except ME-sheesh!

Also if we have dr appts she takes a special day off to help us carpool the kids like next Monday dh is having surgery. Usually I am the carpool person for the basketball team players and school and anything else they may have bc usually I am the one at home-hey, I rather be working if I could find a job-Idk maybe bc they see 26 years of experience and they think I am old or something I never hear back except rejections-quite humbling-and maybe they ask salary so t hey think they cannot match what I was making which I know I may never get again(I leave requested salary and put "open")! Frustrating thing is it is computerized so I hear HR looks at it so I cannot explain anything so it looks like maybe I am not qualified for like case management bc not actual case manager but I have worked with them and did arrange transport,transfers,etc when I did charge nurse duties over the weekend or at evenings when we did not have a cm,so some experience but cannot explain that. The resume gets transferred to a template they have from what I see.

Also I am using her sister's address for caregiver so I can go to that school district so I am grateful we can do that even(my other one was one of my bff and she moved to Texas-these are million dollar homes in the area we go to school). High school we are going to have to figure something out-bc we cannot do that anymore in hs-and I won't be able to afford renting a house(maybe a room?),esp since my college dd is moving into apartments(school does not guarantee sophmore housing and by the time you know you only have expensive apts left) so I will be paying anywhere from 500.-700. for rent only(sharing) not including food and utilities,furniture(told her freecycle and free on craigslist except maybe bed),etc. She has no transportation so we want a shuttle or bus nearby in a safe area is one criteria and cheap rent but the closer you are to school the more expensive but since many times she has school til 9-10pm I rather have safety. But this is going to be a hardship on us-yes she will get a job this time and she has made a 1000.00 last a very long time so far(she saved her money) almost 6 months and she only spent like 200-300.00. BUT since she struggled with chemistry(and she even won a chem award before so that shows me the school did not teach everything bc she is extremely smart) and grades are important in her field so I want her mainly to focus on her studies. She studies more than her roommates and her roommates even tell her she is overdoing it but she does not want to lose any grants so she constantly studies. That is one kid I did not have to worry about when it comes to buckling down and studying-there is one dd who I had to push constantly and she hates school,well finally she will be graduating this spring-hurray! She would give up and I would push her and she even says if it was not for me,she would have give up long time ago! Now she will have a good degree and hopefully she puts it to good use! I realize, lol I digress....as usual!

So if I don't have a choice,no one can pick the kid up I guess I will have to do two trips but for now he is willing to stay after practice or games. Next sport coming up is track which Preston does as well and the boy does not do. Usually he follows and does everything last year Preston did and he tried running but I don't think he likes it. It is funny, I have a lot of kids and even their parents who feels and tells me this that Preston is their role model and so they try to do everything he does like join the different teams,come over to play bb,go to the same clubs and programs,etc-and even though Preston was new to the district even he soon became one of the popular ones (I think bc of bb and he has a charming personality and good looks-adults and kids both like him and they always say he is a special kid!). Funny,he is not shy and he will talk with adults easily and negotiate or make appointments or whatever a grown up does in business,etc-he has his own business and wheels and deals all the time! The rest of my kids (except oldest dd maybe) are all kind of shy and quiet with others(not at home though lol!)-he was shy as a baby not letting anyone even take pictures of him(no portraits of him as a baby bc he would not let them!) and Idk what happened! Now he is a go getter-was school president and class president,MVP,captain of the team every year,Spelling bee winner,etc. I always say he is 13 going on 21 now and I will have to keep a closer eye on him! If you ask me to describe Preston, words that would come to my mind are he is INTENSE, AMBITIOUS, HARD-WORKER and a CHARMER! He just does not give up which is not always a good thing! Hmmm...other than the ambitious part, he sounds like my husband the way he is! Preston just takes charge wherever he goes and people just follow him-told him he should go into a business major in college-he would be good at it. He says he wants to own his own business-maybe a sneaker shop! He already sells-he calls his business Sneaker City-and customizes shoes and sells at school even-those kids can afford 200-300.00 shoes even as kids!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am I am scheduled to go in this morning for an ultrasound to see what might be the cause of all this pain. It just happens periodically. Last time it happened I rolled over in bed while I was asleep and BOOM the pain woke me up right away. I got up and sat on the couch of a couple of hours. And it was Christmas so no urgent care or anyone open on that day. I guess I could've gone to the ER but it didn't seem life threatening, just painful.

I also had a hysterectomy many years back and wonder if there is scar tissue that I occasionally yank on that could cause this too. I am hoping this appointment this morning can provide some answers!
It is possible it is scar tissue.. I hope it is something along that line.. Good luck and keep us posted.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:30 pm
LWolfT wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Braved the cold last night to see "Murder on the Orient Express" at the second-run theater (Tuesday tickets are $1.75). I enjoyed it ... had quite a well-known cast. (So did the 1970s version, if memory serves.)
I really want to see this so I’m happy to see your positive comments. I missed it at the theatre so will probably have to wait until Redbox or Netflix.
I think this would be a good movie for either of those venues. I enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's performance. Oh, just saw that it will be on Amazon Prime next month, if you have that ...