The older, the higher FGT?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Carleen

Re: The older, the higher FGT?

Post by Carleen »

I am a poster-child for dawn phenomenon. My highest number is my fasting test first thing in the morning. Then, it goes down during the day and is nice just before I go to bed at night. Weird... I usually eat one slice of raisin bread before bed.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

zDiabetes wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm
Hello Objodi and other three:

I am happy to read the 4-post from you.

I will try to fight against the "Dawn-Phenomenon" I am going to try the SNACK.

If you have more specific experiences, please tell me!
My diabetic nurse told me to have a light snack around 9:00 PM. She suggested cottage cheese and fruit.. It does seem to help me.. but there are times I am just not up to eating that late at night.. Good luck.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

BeckyO wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm
Another 'old' diabetic here. It's as Ohjodi said. What scares me is when I don't eat enough and wake up about 4 am with a BS of 40 : (
BeckyO
Becky, I have a hard time remembering to eat something right before going to bed. I hope you will be careful - I have passed out from BS at 48.

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

I've never passed out but get very weak, shaky, confused. dripping with perspiration. The only thing I want to do is lie there "till I get better". My doctor said to keep something, even if just sugar water , next to the bed. I also keep the honey and peanut butter and a spoon on the counter. No thinking required just open and eat, LOL

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

BeckyO wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm
I've never passed out but get very weak, shaky, confused. dripping with perspiration. The only thing I want to do is lie there "till I get better". My doctor said to keep something, even if just sugar water , next to the bed. I also keep the honey and peanut butter and a spoon on the counter. No thinking required just open and eat, LOL
Yes!! It is an absolutely terrible feeling. The first time I passed out, I got up, ate a sandwich and slept for the rest of the day. Doctor said that is a "normal" reaction. Turns out I had severely injured my backside though. The second time I "only" fell from a sitting position in a kitchen chair, onto carpet. I wanted to sleep but I went to work.

My doctor suggested doing similar things - I keep a cereal bar or small container of sweetened cereal, etc. in my night stand. He actually suggested eating something - anything - before I even get out of bed in the morning -- and he said I am never to drive without eating something first.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 am

I have a hard time remembering to eat something right before going to bed. I hope you will be careful - I have passed out from BS at 48.
When you're fixing dinner, get your snack ready for later, too, at the same time. You can even reserve a bit of your dinner to have as a snack, later, if you want.

Then put your snack where you will see it. What are you doing for the hour or so before bedtime? If you're watching tv, on the computer, or reading, etc, set your snack there where you sit. It can sit there for a couple of hours and still be safe to eat...unless it's eggs, fish, or chicken, IMO.

Or at least put part of your snack there where you're sitting. It will remind you to go get the rest from the fridge.

Half of a sandwich would be good.....peanut butter, or cheese, maybe a little egg salad. Hummus (bean dip) with a few chips or crackers. A small cup of soup and one slice of toast. A small banana is good if it doesn't bother your blood sugar, usually.

Try to have some fat, protein, and a few carbs as your snack. Sugar free foods like jello won't help keep your blood sugar up enough. Sugar free pudding might, a little bit, because it has some carbs and protein from the milk. But I'd eat something with that, too.
ohjodi